This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fall bon fires

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Fall bon fires on 11/7/2016, 9:36 am

We have incredible weather for November in Illinois. I have never seen weather this warm without a frost in my lifetime. We always cut the grass until the first frost, but I spent over 12 hours this weekend cutting grass and blowing leaves into the river. All year we trim trees, and pull trees from our causeway and put them into piles of debris which we burn in the fall. We need to call the local fire department before we burn, and then we light them.

Because some of the logs and trees are very large, after the fire gets going I need to take the bobcat and move debris into the hot part of the huge bon fire. Well it cannot hurt the Bobcat, but I found out it can hurt the operator. I pushed a large tree into the heat of the fire and I got doused with hot ambers on my exposed arms......lesson learned if I live long enough to do this next year.

I have never seen the islands looking better. They are stunningly beautiful. The river is near flood stage as the upper midwest has had high rainfalls, but if the frost is delayed and the river does not freeze this year, it will allow all that excess water table to drain off which normally freezes up and lets loose with floods in the spring. We are concerned about spring floods, but this record warm weather will allow the midwest to drain its water table without surface freeze.

My neighbor built this incredible eagles nest by his causeway where the water stays open from ice in the winter. We have a tree where an eagle sits in the winter fishing open water. However, this year I doubt the river will freeze. Our biggest challenge for our children and grandchildren will be climate change.

View user profile

2 Re: Fall bon fires on 11/7/2016, 7:34 pm

Be  careful.

View user profile

3 Re: Fall bon fires on 11/7/2016, 7:39 pm

Who was holding your beer?

4 Re: Fall bon fires on 11/7/2016, 8:33 pm

Who was holding your beer?

No drink holder in the bobcat, so I put screw cap plastic bottles of pepsi in my coat pocket.....I cannot drink anymore. I got burned again tonight, and burned my best jeans and put an ember hole in my stocking cap, but the entire pile is burning down perfectly.

View user profile

5 Re: Fall bon fires on 11/8/2016, 2:15 am

Illness, schmillness -- it's amazing you haven't killed yourself long before now with all the chances you take. A real can-do guy in the flesh.

View user profile

6 Re: Fall bon fires on 11/8/2016, 9:05 pm

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum