Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

When streetcars were king in Pensacola.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

When streetcars were king in Pensacola. PensacolaTrolley

http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Pensacola_streetcar_system

"cars passed about every ten minutes during high-traffic periods."

Very good. Thanks. Fisher-Brown was formed by the merger of the Fisher Real Estate Agency and the insurance firm of Lucius S. Brown & Company, which became official on December 28, 1911. The company did business out of the second floor of the Thiesen Building on South Palafox Street until the 1960's, before moving to its present offices on West Garden Street. I've been around long enough remember the big ceiling fans and old wooden desks in their Thiesen Building offices, which was once the tallest building in town. Back then their phone number was HEmlock 2-7474.
Some years ago I worked for a contractor and he asked me to go the Thiesen building and board up some windows. Some of the glass in the windows was coming lose and a piece had fallen into the street. It was really neat. Fisher Brown had left a lot of their old stuff, books, city directory's, and such. laying around. I wandered around checking stuff out a long time. . It has also been used for a Civil Defense store room and a lot of that stuff was still there.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

A strike of streetcar operators took place in Pensacola, Florida from April 5 to May 13, 1908. It was staged by employees of the Pensacola Electric Company over a company rule requiring workers whom the company had suspended for whatever reason to report to the company's car barn thrice daily for a roll call. During the 39-day strike, open violence erupted in Pensacola's streets, resulting in at least one death, after which martial law was declared and the state militia was sent to provide security to the company strikebreakers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensacola_Streetcar_Strike_of_1908

ButtMan wrote:
A strike of streetcar operators took place in Pensacola, Florida from April 5 to May 13, 1908. It was staged by employees of the Pensacola Electric Company over a company rule requiring workers whom the company had suspended for whatever reason to report to the company's car barn thrice daily for a roll call. During the 39-day strike, open violence erupted in Pensacola's streets, resulting in at least one death, after which martial law was declared and the state militia was sent to provide security to the company strikebreakers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensacola_Streetcar_Strike_of_1908
Pensacola Streetcar Strike of 1908
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[edit]References

Streetcar operators' strike, 1908 at Pensacola wiki lol! Ya beat me to it. that was my next post....Martail Law!!! Those guys were not Playing.....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I bet this was really a rough and tumble place at the turn of the century. Smile

p.s. I've been trying to locate a p'cola streetcar route map with google but no luck.

ButtMan wrote:I bet this was really a rough and tumble place at the turn of the century. Smile

p.s. I've been trying to locate a p'cola streetcar route map with google but no luck.
The entire area has really changed. You remember how rough T street was. The area were the court houses on goverment st was not Port royal. LOL South Sea bar, G and A, Bar Florida,The Family dinner. Great places and good people but you could get your ass in a bind real quick. Remind me to tell you a story about "Jacks" on T st. LOL

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

hallmarkgrad wrote:
ButtMan wrote:I bet this was really a rough and tumble place at the turn of the century. Smile

The entire area has really changed. You remember how rough T street was. The area were the court houses on goverment st was not Port royal. LOL South Sea bar, G and A, Bar Florida,The Family dinner. Great places and good people but you could get your ass in a bind real quick. Remind me to tell you a story about "Jacks" on T st. LOL
Was that bar on the west side of T Street about halfway between Cervantes and Fairfield? Was the full name of it "One Eyed Jacks" later on?

I'm all ears, what happened at "Jacks"?

[i]Yes. One day I was to meet a friend there. Maybe 2 in the afternoon. I went in a got a beer and sat at the bar. there was may 6 or 7 people shooting pool and just talking. One guy was giving this lady a real hard time about her boy friend. He called her boy friend the "N" work. He just would not let it rest. she started crying and said "If he was here you would not call him that" Soon she left. Everyone(not me) thought it was really funny and they all jumped on the N word band wagon. Maybe 10 or 15 mins later(my friend had not shown up) BOOM!!! Some one kicks open the door. The guy must have been 6'6 and weight 280 or so. He was a American Indian. He was holding a loaded double barrel shot gun. He yelled" Who is the the Son of a Bitch that called me a Nigger?" I was sitting by the other door and started to move toward it so I could get the hell out of there. He drew down and said STOP!. I did. the lady said "it was not him, he did not say anything." He said get out the door and lock it. It had a hasp on the outside. I did. I never found out what happen but I did see some cop cars there later on. Somethings you never forget. lol

Yella

Yella

Good one.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum