This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bob will be missed

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Bob will be missed on 10/30/2016, 12:16 pm

I have so many fond memories from his stories and his sense of humor. He and T would argue for hours about minutia and then T was gone. Now with Bob gone, the forum will be challenged to have their collective input replaced. It will never be the same for me. I guess this getting old does not end well, and he kept his sense of humor until the end. I will always be impressed with the care he gave his mother. I am sure his parents were very proud of the good soul they produced. My wife and I have discussed this. We think we met him at the St Charles flea market about twenty years ago where he was there selling old juke boxes. I spoke with the gentleman for about five minutes and he was a hoot.....his products were too expensive for our cheap asz, but he enjoyed talking to people and it was a fun exchange. He later posted that he always went to the St. Charles flea market and did his best because people would pay an inflated price. Who knows, but my sadness cannot last long thinking about the years of us playing in the sandbox pretending to argue about which settlement was first in America, how hurricane science was not, and the best was me ragging on him about one of my favorite bands.......we had fun. I tried to keep him stimulated after they found the cancer, and at times he would get so angry at me, but he knew always we were just playing. When T and him would get into sexual preference debates, it would get intense, but they both knew everybody was playing, and the two would probably have lunch together eating catfish.

I will miss a character who made my life richer. He will be missed.

View user profile

2 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/30/2016, 12:44 pm

I guess this getting old does not end well,

View user profile

3 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/30/2016, 1:27 pm

2seaoat wrote:I have so many fond memories from his stories and his sense of humor.  He and T would argue for hours about minutia and then T was gone.  Now with Bob gone, the forum will be challenged to have their collective input replaced.  It will never be the same for me.  I guess this getting old does not end well, and he kept his sense of humor until the end.  I will always be impressed with the care he gave his mother.   I am sure his parents were very proud of the good soul they produced.   My wife and I have discussed this.  We think we met him at the St Charles flea market about twenty years ago where he was there selling old juke boxes.   I spoke with the gentleman for about five minutes and he was a hoot.....his products were too expensive for our cheap asz, but he enjoyed talking to people and it was a fun exchange.  He later posted that he always went to the St. Charles flea market and did his best because people would pay an inflated price.  Who knows, but my sadness cannot last long thinking about the years of us playing in the sandbox pretending to argue about which settlement was first in America, how hurricane science was not, and the best was me ragging on him about one of my favorite bands.......we had fun.   I tried to keep him stimulated after they found the cancer, and at times he would get so angry at me, but he knew always we were just playing.   When T and him would get into sexual preference debates, it would get intense, but they both knew everybody was playing, and the two would probably have lunch together eating catfish.

I will miss a character who made my life richer.   He will be missed.

Oh Seaoat I hope it was Bob you met, I really do.

View user profile

4 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/30/2016, 2:41 pm

View user profile

5 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/30/2016, 2:51 pm

If you go on facebook and search Bob Wood you will see a picture of him in his younger years (in fact it's is avatar) and then you will see what Bob looked like a few weeks ago. He hadn't posted anything in over a year but you will know it's him.

I first met Bob when he was still on that god awful health plan he always talked about that had him paying SH $200 a month for what he said was the rest of his life and not too long after he was diagnosed with lymphoma. When he turned 65 he came to me and purchased a Medicare supplement and a Part D drug plan, all the while grimacing LOL on paying a monthly premium on both. During the year he would ask "Why am I paying these damn premiums"? I said because you had decided on it because of your lymphoma. Well at the open enrollment for Medicare advantage that year he said I want the plan you are on because at that time it had no premium. I said you know there is a copay here and there and what if your lymphoma flared up? He looked at me and said "You know how cheap I am" lol. I said I don't recommend it Bob, he said I will just go over to the corporate office and get it, so I wrote him up.

On to this year and the melanoma. The Medicare advantage plan we're both on has a $6700 max out of pocket. Bob had the robotic surgery and his part was minimal, no where near the max, then the immunotherapy. That is quite the story. When they told him about it and we both found out the cost I told him he'd probably meet his max after the first infusion. You see chemo and immunotherapy is paid per Medicare guidelines no matter what you're on so his portion was 20% of a contracted cost, but still at $86000 or $110,000 per infusion I both of us knew about the max. Well before his first infusion he called me to say the center had a finance call him and said he might get help and Bob told him no I have too many assets. Well a couple days later SH called back and some philanthropy group (either at SH or Yervoy) was going to put up $15000 towards it. Well he had his first infusion and a couple weeks later he received his EOB while I was there visiting and we both looked at it and he yelled GD I came out smelling like a rose again and it was really cheaper for him to be on the Med advantage than paying premiums all year. Not only had he met his max out of pocket for the year he only had actually paid a little less I think he said of $2000 of his own money, the money the group put up paid the rest and it don't matter to an insurance company who pays it he had 100% coverage the rest of the year. I have never seen anyone so excited about hitting their max out of pocket in April. lol

He was a very good friend and he was not really cheap he will be sadly missed by me and all of you.

View user profile

6 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/30/2016, 6:01 pm

Thanks for sharing this, ppaca.   Recently I got a little worried at things you were saying about Medicare Advantage even though I've been happy with it.  I'm so glad it worked out for Bob, even though, of course, it couldn't save him {{sigh}}.  

Listen, I'm a Facebook holdout but if you get a chance would you take a look at this page of Google images (at least the first few) and tell me if I can see Bob anywhere in there?

Bob Wood Pensacola Images

View user profile

7 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/30/2016, 6:39 pm

I did not see him in your collection of photos. He posted numerous photos of himself over the last 12 years. The best one was a video of him doing battle with I think his refrigerator. It had sound which capture his dad gum language and a clever self deprecation which he owned. In that video was the same man I spoke to in St. Charles. It kind of was like T posting his utubes singing. I was so happy when he did that because I knew he was having fun.

I have been in bed all day. I do not depress very easy, but I am depressed. It hit me very hard when we lost Neko. I had so many laughs with her over the years, and she was determined to correct me at every turn and was very logical and determined in her arguments. The nature of her loss like retired leo dealing with her lungs, and I curse the day she left her beloved home in Alabama for the new one where she was doing remodeling which I always believed with the drywall work contributed to her rapid lung decline.

Teo would get so mad at me. I mean there were times he would leave because of me, but always coming back because he knew deep down I loved him like a brother who I gave chit to just for grins and to draw out his character. In the end his character was proven to me with his reevaluation of his youth and military service. He was the defender of those who were weak and he hated the way our military hurt innocents. Bob and him would often have quite heated arguments where you thought their relationship was broken, but Bob just loved Teo, and Teo knew how special Bob was.

I just am sad. It is hard to understand this, but it was Bob's writing ability and use of humor which was powerful for me. He always wanted to write a book, and I always think if he just wrote a book about the PNJ and this forum he would cover all kinds of angles on the human condition.

It will be very difficult for us to continue the forum with so many key contributors being lost, and with a very low enrollment by new members. However, I will continue to post in the spirit of those who have spent thousand of hours over the years sharing their lives with us. The PNJ and this forum are special, and like Joanie said we all owe Boards a thank you for tolerating some older folks finding a place to share perceptions of the world. I am so happy Bob did some traveling and had fun with his friends. I think he appreciated our love of him here, and he knew he was our local celebrity where others who had not spent the last 12 years with him would hardly understand. So I tip my hat to Neko, Teo, and Bob and I will do my part that this portal will continue, and hope that they have connected again and are having fun reading our posts........the sadness hurts, but in a few days I will only remember the fun we had with them.

View user profile

8 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/30/2016, 6:59 pm

It is a sad day....after leaving Bob on Sunday I regret I could not go back on Monday. My plan was to take Bob some cashew chicken. We went round and round, over the years, trying to come up with the perfect House of Chong recipe.

View user profile

9 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/30/2016, 7:20 pm

RealLindaL wrote:Thanks for sharing this, ppaca.   Recently I got a little worried at things you were saying about Medicare Advantage even though I've been happy with it.  I'm so glad it worked out for Bob, even though, of course, it couldn't save him {{sigh}}.  

Listen, I'm a Facebook holdout but if you get a chance would you take a look at this page of Google images (at least the first few) and tell me if I can see Bob anywhere in there?

No pic of him there try this link

https://www.facebook.com/bob.wood.7503?fref=ts

I don't think you'll have to join FB to see it.

It's each individual's choice whether a med advantage or sup and part D. You pay up front with the latter and you pay in arrears with med advantage.

View user profile

10 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/30/2016, 7:24 pm

2seaoat wrote:I did not see him in your collection of photos.   He posted numerous photos of himself over the last 12 years.   The best one was a video of him doing battle with I think his refrigerator.   It had sound which capture his dad gum language and a clever self deprecation which he owned.   In that video was the same man I spoke to in St. Charles.  It kind of was like T posting his utubes singing.  I was so happy when he did that because I knew he was having fun.  

I have been in bed all day.   I do not depress very easy, but I am depressed.  It hit me very hard when we lost Neko.  I had so many laughs with her over the years, and she was determined to correct me at every turn and was very logical and determined in her arguments.   The nature of her loss like retired leo dealing with her lungs, and I curse the day she left her beloved home in Alabama for the new one where she was doing remodeling which I always believed with the drywall work contributed to her rapid lung decline.

Teo would get so mad at me.   I mean there were times he would leave because of me, but always coming back because he knew deep down I loved him like a brother who I gave chit to just for grins and to draw out his character.   In the end his character was proven to me with his reevaluation of his youth and military service.   He was the defender of those who were weak and he hated the way our military hurt innocents.   Bob and him would often have quite heated arguments where you thought their relationship was broken, but Bob just loved Teo, and Teo knew how special Bob was.

I just am sad.   It is hard to understand this, but it was Bob's writing ability and use of humor which was powerful for me.   He always wanted to write a book, and I always think if he just wrote a book about the PNJ and this forum he would cover all kinds of angles on the human condition.  

It will be very difficult for us to continue the forum with so many key contributors being lost, and with a very low enrollment by new members.  However, I will continue to post in the spirit of those who have spent thousand of hours over the years sharing their lives with us.   The PNJ and this forum are special, and like Joanie said we all owe Boards a thank you for tolerating some older folks finding a place to share perceptions of the world.   I am so happy Bob did some traveling and had fun with his friends.   I think he appreciated our love of him here, and he knew he was our local celebrity where others who had not spent the last 12 years with him would hardly understand.   So I tip my hat to Neko, Teo, and Bob and I will do my part that this portal will continue, and hope that they have connected again and are having fun reading our posts........the sadness hurts, but in a few days I will only remember the fun we had with them.

Yep I've been pretty depressed all day and when I'm depressed I listen to loud rock music which I did and made my neighbor's shutter. I play on youtube through smart tv with sound arround and a lot of bass. After two hours felt a little better.

View user profile

11 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/31/2016, 7:29 am

View user profile

12 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/31/2016, 8:04 am

13 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/31/2016, 1:22 pm

14 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/31/2016, 1:51 pm

If someone become aware of Bob's Obit, or funeral, memorial, or burial information, I would appreciate a link.   Thank you.

View user profile

15 Re: Bob will be missed on 10/31/2016, 5:58 pm

ppaca wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Thanks for sharing this, ppaca.   Recently I got a little worried at things you were saying about Medicare Advantage even though I've been happy with it.  I'm so glad it worked out for Bob, even though, of course, it couldn't save him {{sigh}}.  

No pic of him there try this link

https://www.facebook.com/bob.wood.7503?fref=ts

I don't think you'll have to join FB to see it.

It's each individual's choice whether a med advantage or sup and part D. You pay up front with the latter and you pay in arrears with med advantage.

Thanks for the FB link, ppaca.   I was able to see the page and it seems Bob was a very fine looking man, though I'm not exactly sure which pic you were referring to that depicts him "a few weeks ago."

We have been on Medicare Advantage for a number of years (my older husband longer than I) and so far, knock on wood, our out of pocket costs in any one year have not approached the cost we would've incurred by paying supplemental premiums.

Last edited by RealLindaL on 11/1/2016, 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

View user profile

16 Re: Bob will be missed on 11/3/2016, 12:51 am

2seaoat wrote:If someone become aware of Bob's Obit, or funeral, memorial, or burial information, I would appreciate a link.   Thank you.

OK, here you go, seaoat and others.....

From Harper Morris Chapel:

http://www.harpermorrismemorialchapel.com/sitemaker/memsol.cgi?user_id=1872039

From the PNJ:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pensacolanewsjournal/obituary.aspx?n=robert-beam-wood-smokey&pid=182274445&fhid=6072

View user profile

17 Re: Bob will be missed on 11/3/2016, 1:10 am

Thanks Linda.......I am sad I cannot make it down.

View user profile

18 Re: Bob will be missed on 11/3/2016, 1:16 am

You're welcome, sea -- and there can be no doubt that Bob would've thoroughly understood your inability to attend.  Try not to feel bad; think of him ribbing you instead.  You know he would!   Smile

View user profile

19 Re: Bob will be missed on 11/3/2016, 7:11 am

"He was also an expert picker who never paid sticker price for anything."

I bet that son of a gun paid half price for a slightly used casket.

View user profile

20 Re: Bob will be missed on 11/3/2016, 7:31 am

Going to try my best to be there on Friday. I treasure the last lunch shared with Lisa12 and Bob after Teo passed away. Good men gone way too soon.

A funny thought, Sal. I wouldn't doubt it a bit!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum