This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Western Michigan cracks the top 20

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Western Michigan cracks the top 20 on 10/27/2016, 1:23 pm

The coach is a friend and still does facebook with my daughter. He played for the 49ers, and set reception records in high school. He is a gung ho kid who was nominated for coach of the year last year coming from a MAC school......pretty much unheard of at 35. I have not talked to him for three years, but my wife talks with his mother who is very proud of PJ. Western Michigan has never been on the map nationally but remains undefeated at 8-0. They will be playing in bowl games this winter, and this kid will be coaching a big time program before he is forty. He has beaten two big ten schools this year in Northwestern and Illinois......which is really not saying much, but for the MAC who always falls short on getting those big lineman in recruiting to the big ten.....it says a whole lot. Go Mustangs.

View user profile

2 Re: Western Michigan cracks the top 20 on 11/19/2016, 11:06 am

Western Michigan will go to 12-0 today, and only two teams are undefeated in the poll. Yet, they get no respect. I will be happy when the playoffs go to eight teams. I feel the current four team selection is a joke. Now, I am not going to be foolish to think that a MAC team could play at the line with an Alabama, but it is crushing teams at the skill positions and defense. I have known the coach since he was in first grade and coached him in grade school flag football where he just dominated everybody and went 24-0 his junior and senior year as he won two state championships and played for SF in the NFL for three years and being a friend got to review his rookie contract. At 35 he will be one of the most sought out coaches in America, and we will have to see how this flawed playoff system will deal with an undefeated team in the MAC conference. It would be foolish to think a MAC team can snag those big lineman which takes teams to another level, but the skill positions are being equalized and can win games.

I remember coaching a fifth grade basketball league when he drove the baseline and my daughter blocked his shot. He let out a very audible "damn she is tall", they became like brother and sister, but the privilege to see this kid dominating college football coaching as he may win the college coach of the year this year. Many folks are very proud to see a great kid succeed at so many levels.

View user profile
Western Michigan is just blowing out Toledo who has had a great season. This team is the real deal and I suspect they will get a shot at the Cotton Bowl against the winner of the ACC. Very proud of PJ, who will make a million this year with incentives, and sports talk all over the nation say he is being recruited by big programs and will make four million next year, which Western Michigan cannot match. A shame because the MAC gets very little respect and is beating big ten teams regularly, but the big team always like the SEC gets legacy bonus points. Our family is so excited for PJ, and when his mom wanted him to date my daughter, he said mom......that would be like dating my sister......he is full of energy and he has been a winner since he was in third grade, and he will make a huge impact on the kids in any program he coaches. The best part, he was one of my high school coaches who volunteered in our community basketball leagues which covered two counties. There is something honest about sports competition because the cream does rise to the top.

View user profile
2seaoat wrote:The coach is a friend and still does facebook with my daughter.   He played for the 49ers, and set reception records in high school.   He is a gung ho kid who was nominated for coach of the year last year coming from a MAC school......pretty much unheard of at 35.   I have not talked to him for three years, but my wife talks with his mother who is very proud of PJ.   Western Michigan has never been on the map nationally but remains undefeated at 8-0.  They will be playing in bowl games this winter, and this kid will be coaching a big time program before he is forty.  He has beaten two big ten schools this year in Northwestern and Illinois......which is really not saying much, but for the MAC who always falls short on getting those big lineman in recruiting to the big ten.....it says a whole lot.  Go Mustangs.
Awesome!

View user profile
I think the whole playoff system is a joke. It should be eight teams. In trying to save the bowls, we have made a complete fricking mess. A team like Western Michigan with about six NFL high draft players gets stonewalled. Ohio state and Alabama simply do not impress me.

View user profile
The projections are now saying that PJ is headed to the Cotton Bowl playing against Penn State. It would be Ironic if Florida somehow wins over Alabama that the national championship would be determined by three of four teams who were conference losers. I wish that they had eight teams this year. In any regard, I believe that Western Michigan can beat Penn State.

View user profile

2seaoat wrote: I believe that Western Michigan can beat Penn State.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Well probably I am wrong. At least that is what the experts who rank football teams are telling us. I have watched five Western games. Their running backs, receivers, and QB all have NFL careers ahead of them. The biggest loss this last game was a stellar safety. There defense is extremely quick and athletic, but I would be a fool not to admit they are undersized on the line. I think the skill positions will beat a two loss Penn State team.

The ranking of recruiting classes has had Western Michigan among the top in the nation in the last four years. The six hour drive philosophy of PJ makes sense. If I can get the best players out of high school within six hours of Western, we can beat anybody.

View user profile

Penn St has a good chance to beat Wisconsin for the b10 and the rose bowl. I watched then play Saturday and they are much better than when I watched them early in the season.

10 Re: Western Michigan cracks the top 20 on 11/29/2016, 7:44 pm

Wisconsin is going to win the Big Ten. It will not even be close.......but again, I could be wrong. Both teams admittedly have gotten better as the season has progressed, but they both show how insane a four team national championship series has become. Eight teams will not be perfect, but there is a higher probability that the best team in the country will be in the group of eight. The best team in the country could be the Big Ten champion, yet they are talking about sending Michigan with two loses and an over rated Ohio State. Insanity.

Penn State will lose in the Cotton Bowl to Western Michigan.

View user profile
Well I was wrong. Wisconsin will be playing Western Michigan in the Cotton Bowl, not Penn State. PJ has been all over the news, and a victory against Wisconsin will do a great deal for the MAC conference which has always been considered the red haired step child conference. A 13 win undefeated season and the fall of Alabama in the playoffs will elevate this very good team to top five teams. PJ will be the most sought after coach in America, and after three years of having one of the best recruiting classes in America, he could stay at Western Michigan and have another great year. He is making a million dollars with bonuses, as top programs are now paying football coaches up to three million a year........I wonder what they pay a chemistry professor?

View user profile

How much money and attention (enrollment) does a chemistry professor bring to a college?

How much money and attention (enrollment) does a chemistry professor bring to a college?

Depending on where you live. In Illinois, Northwestern, University of Chicago, and the University of Illinois are all top 25 schools with Northwestern and University of Chicago consistently top ten in most graduate studies areas so when the University of Chicago school of economics get world famous professors on staff, you can bet they get increasing endowments and enrollments of the top students. The largest number of college graduates in my family is from Auburn, who has world famous football teams, but not so much top 100 Academics. Compare endowments with University of Chicago or Northwestern. Our priorities in forty years have allowed the lowest common denominator to control. Sadly, it has reached politics. University of Chicago had great football teams at the turn of the century, but they made the right choice........academics first.

View user profile

The point being... of course... that college football is a huge money maker... and justifies salaries.

This is the only college football game I cared about. I am so happy for PJ and all the national attention he is receiving. A great kid who is almost corny with his enthusiasm, but I have watched him since his second grade basketball game, and he is still that happy energetic kid who warmed the hearts of everybody who interacted with him.

View user profile
Fourth quarter and eight points down. An interception and their dream was over. PJ has the real deal going in Western Michigan and I hope he stays for another year.

View user profile
PJ just got the Minnesota head coach job. Thirty five years old and making a couple million a year is doing pretty good. He has such a high energy level. His biggest strength is recruiting and motivation. People when they hear his rah rah they question if this guy is off his rocker, but I have watched his enthusiasm since he was in third grade, and he does not have one negative bone in his body. He believes he can move the mountain if you just keep giving a hundred percent.

View user profile
2seaoat wrote:PJ just got the Minnesota head coach job.

Oof!

That's a career killer.

View user profile
Oof!

That's a career killer.

He has been rated as the best recruiter for two of his four years at Western Michigan. He was a graduate assistant at Ohio State and has great contacts in Ohio. He has great connections in Michigan and Indiana with his four years at Western Michigan. He owns Illinois and is virtually on a first name basis with every high school coach in Chicago and the suburbs. He has great connections with Southern Wisconsin and the quad cities and eastern Iowa. He will win the big ten in three years and with a five year contract he will be on top of the world at forty. The old MN coach got 1.5 million with many big ten coaches getting three to nine million in Haurbaugh's case. I figure two million going to three million over the five years. I used to look at his contracts as a family friend and reviewed his San Francisco 49r rookie contract, but those are boilerplate stamped by the players association. With me being sick, I do not see the family that much anymore, but my daughter keeps in contact with his sister and mother. He is looking more and more like his father as he ages. I am very excited he made the big ten threshold. He will win.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum