Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nobel Prize for Literature to Bob Dylan

+3
2seaoat
Telstar
Sal
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

So deserved ...

cheers

I was caught in a riot at a Dylan concert... lol.

But I grew up listening to him and can play most of his tunes. One of the best song writers ever.

My very favorite: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_from_the_North_Country

Telstar

Telstar

"And if my thought-dreams could been seen
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." cheers

2seaoat

I can never get bored with his music and lyrics. He is somebody who I put on utube as I doze off and peacefully sleep. I went through a big Dylan fixation in the mid seventies as I listened to his music exclusively......not so much now......

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:I was caught in a riot at a Dylan concert... lol.

But I grew up listening to him and can play most of his tunes. One of the best song writers ever.

Dylan was huge to me in my college days and I still love much of his work, though am not familiar with his present-day stuff.  I, too, am forever moved by the haunting* Girl from the North Country - one of my all-time faves, even though tough to cover because of the range.   Another song from the Nashville Skyline album I really like is Country Pie -- in large part because of the syncopated phrasing:

Raspberry strawberry lemon or lime,
What do I care?
Blueberry apple cherry pumpkin and plum,
Call me for dinner honey I'll be there.

Such a happy song.  Still makes me grin big time!!

Pkr, when you say you can "play" most of his stuff -- on guitar?  Piano?  
What?   Do you also sing?

*Speaking of haunting, an OT question:  Does anyone recall the song "Four Strong Winds," by the Canadian couple Ian and Sylvia?   That haunting number I play and sing at least weekly.   Love love love it.....

For our good times are all gone
And I'm bound for moving on
I'll look for you if I'm ever back this way.

knothead

knothead

“Tangled Up in Blue,” Blood on the Tracks, 1975

Then she opened up a book of poems
And handed it to me
Written by an Italian poet
From the thirteenth century
And every one of them words rang true
And glowed like burnin’ coal
Pourin’ off of every page
Like it was written in my soul from me to you
Tangled up in blue

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:

Dylan was huge to me in my college days and I still love much of his work, though am not familiar with his present-day stuff.  I, too, am forever moved by the haunting* Girl from the North Country - one of my all-time faves, even though tough to cover because of the range.   Another song from the Nashville Skyline album I really like is Country Pie -- in large part because of the syncopated phrasing:

What do I care?

*Speaking of haunting, an OT question:  Does anyone recall the song "Four Strong Winds," by the Canadian couple Ian and Sylvia?   That haunting number I play and sing at least weekly.   Love love love it.....

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

RealLindaL wrote:

What do I care?

I play the harmonica... but learned to play the piano and horns as a kid. (baritone, French, and coronet). I've got some friends in Pcola that are jam buddies. I do sing sometimes... but it's not really my bag man. One owns a little dive bar and we usually get together to play when I come to town. Fun... but not too serious.

RealLindaL

Thanks so much for the videos, Tel. It was especially great to see the original writers/artists, Ian and Sylvia, performing Four Strong Winds. Neil Young sounded a little strained to me. You? I should prolly search YouTube for a Peter Paul and Mary vid of the number since theirs was actually my favorite rendition. Maybe after lunch. BBL, LL

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:Thanks so much for the videos, Tel.   It was especially great to see the original writers/artists, Ian and Sylvia, performing Four Strong Winds.  Neil Young sounded a little strained to me.  You?   I should prolly search YouTube for a Peter Paul and Mary vid of the number since theirs was actually my favorite rendition.  Maybe after lunch.    BBL,     LL

This is the version I remember. I think it was a hit.

RealLindaL

Thanks, Tel.  Nice, but still not the version I recall -- which may or may not be PP&M's.  May even be John Denver.  I'll keep checking around, jogging my old memory as I go.

MEANwhile, serendipitously enough, I just ran into a tie-in on NPR.org between Ian and Sylvia's Four Strong Winds and Bob Dylan -- who, as it turns out, was the initial inspiration for the writing of the song! Who knew??!!  So I guess I'm not as OT as I thought. Smile  

Here's to Dylan for his role in one of my faves:

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/06/133500143/a-classic-in-30-minutes-four-strong-winds

The early 1960s brought an amazing array of young singers to New York City's Greenwich Village. Among the emerging stars of the folk revival were Bob Dylan, Peter, Paul and Mary, Judy Collins, Joan Baez and Ian & Sylvia. Small coffee houses such as Gerde's Folk City provided a forum for these young singers to try out their new material.

In this segment of the What's in a Song series, Ian & Sylvia's Ian Tyson describes writing the classic folk song "Four Strong Winds" after hearing Dylan sing at an East Village bar called the Kettle of Fish.

"[Dylan] was just rattling it off and developing that style," Tyson says. "I thought, 'I can do that. How hard can this be?' I opened up the case and started fooling around. It took half an hour. ... I didn't think anything of it, but it took off."

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:Thanks, Tel.  Nice, but still not the version I recall -- which may or may not be PP&M's.  May even be John Denver.  I'll keep checking around, jogging my old memory as I go.

MEANwhile, serendipitously enough, I just ran into a tie-in on NPR.org between Ian and Sylvia's Four Strong Winds and Bob Dylan -- who, as it turns out, was the initial inspiration for the writing of the song! Who knew??!!  So I guess I'm not as OT as I thought.    Smile  

[/b][/i]

I knew. Can't find the PPM version.

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Thanks, Tel.  Nice, but still not the version I recall -- which may or may not be PP&M's.  May even be John Denver.  I'll keep checking around, jogging my old memory as I go.

MEANwhile, serendipitously enough, I just ran into a tie-in on NPR.org between Ian and Sylvia's Four Strong Winds and Bob Dylan -- who, as it turns out, was the initial inspiration for the writing of the song! Who knew??!!  So I guess I'm not as OT as I thought.    Smile  

[/b][/i]

I knew. Can't find the PPM version.

I think you must be the U.S. Popular Culture Trivia King.       Smile

Telstar

Telstar

Telstar

Telstar

Bob Dylan will finally accept the Nobel Prize

After a long chase, the Swedish Academy has finally reached an arrangement to give Bob Dylan his Nobel Prize in Literature.

But it wasn't easy.
First, the academy couldn't reach Dylan after announcing his victory.
Then, Dylan was a no-show at the awards ceremony.
Finally, five months after he was announced as a winner, the singer-songwriter will accept his diploma and medal when he's in Stockholm, Sweden, for two concerts.

The academy will give Dylan his award in a small setting with no media, Sara Danius, permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy, wrote in a blog post.

"Please note that no Nobel Lecture will be held," Danius wrote. "The Academy has reason to believe that a taped version will be sent at a later point."

The taped lecture is important, because without it, Dylan cannot receive his prize money. Although most lectures are given in person, other winners, including Alice Munro in 2013, have sent in a tape, Danius said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/29/entertainment/bob-dylan-accepts-nobel-prize-trnd/index.html

2seaoat

PkrBum

PkrBum

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:

That is the song that turned a punk rocker onto Dylan.

RealLindaL

Sal wrote:

Onto Dylan, or into Dylan? Presume the latter, but want to make sure I get your drift.

But if that's what you mean, I don't agree. Dylan was a rare jewel, far and away more than a punk rocker to those of us of a certain age, long before Lay Lady Lay.

2seaoat

It peaked my interest, but it was not until I lived in Mexico and had a friend who listened to NOTHING but Dylan......I was experiencing culture shock, and Dylan just exploded my mind to explore all the things which I had taken for granted. He was a poet, he was a genius, but lay lady lay got my attention.

Telstar

Telstar

"Yesterday's just a memory, tomorrow is never what it's supposed to be."

Bob Dylan

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum