Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

And now for something else to worry about....

+3
ZVUGKTUBM
dumpcare
RealLindaL
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

RealLindaL

Too early for real concern and hype, but just keep a watchful eye on new Invest 97L, possibly soon to become Matthew.

dumpcare

Yep, been watching. Not to worry until he reaches the carribean maybe next weekend.

RealLindaL

Models today are already far more encouraging than they were yesterday about the possibility this thing will recurve and miss mainland U.S. altogether. Gonna hope for the best until and if things change. Last night it was looking a lot more spooky.

RealLindaL

And we now have Tropical Storm Matthew.   As of initiation, the Cone of uncertainty is rather wide at the end of the forecast period, so everyone should keep an eye on this one:

And now for something else to worry about.... 145747W5_NL_sm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Me, not too worried. Have a hurricane-hardened house and live inland from the ocean.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

RealLindaL

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Me, not too worried. Have a hurricane-hardened house and live inland from the ocean.

Were you here during Hurricane Ivan? Just wondering.

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Me, not too worried. Have a hurricane-hardened house and live inland from the ocean.

Were you here during Hurricane Ivan?  Just wondering.

Our closing is set for 2:00 PM, Wednesday, 10/05 so this will be a good send off! LOL

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:Our closing is set for 2:00 PM, Wednesday, 10/05 so this will be a good send off! LOL

Don't even think it!  {{Not coming here, not coming here, not coming here, she chants.}}    

Congrats on your upcoming closing.  Sounds as if things went smoothly for you, and I'm glad.   Just still sad at your imminent departure.... Sad Most definitely the island's loss.

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:
knothead wrote:Our closing is set for 2:00 PM, Wednesday, 10/05 so this will be a good send off! LOL

Don't even think it!  {{Not coming here, not coming here, not coming here, she chants.}}    

Congrats on your upcoming closing.  Sounds as if things went smoothly for you, and I'm glad.   Just still sad at your imminent departure.... Sad   Most definitely the island's loss.

Thanks Linda, leaving a lot of memories behind (mostly good) but it is emotionally difficult but I just keep telling myself that I did the right thing. Trying to simply view it as an adventure . . . . .

And it is. Good luck..!!

Sal

Sal

Enjoy paradise in the Spring and Fall, travel in the Summer and Winter, and make frequent pilgrimages to Mecca (Lexington).

It's a simple formula.

dumpcare

knothead wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Congrats on your upcoming closing.  Sounds as if things went smoothly for you, and I'm glad.   Just still sad at your imminent departure.... Sad   Most definitely the island's loss.

Thanks Linda, leaving a lot of memories behind (mostly good) but it is emotionally difficult but I just keep telling myself that I did the right thing.  Trying to simply view it as an adventure . . . . .  

Good luck and have fun.

How long have you lived down here?

knothead

knothead

ppaca wrote:
knothead wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Thanks Linda, leaving a lot of memories behind (mostly good) but it is emotionally difficult but I just keep telling myself that I did the right thing.  Trying to simply view it as an adventure . . . . .  

Good luck and have fun.

July 5, 1972 was my arrival and lived on PB the entire time . . . .

knothead

knothead

Sal wrote:Enjoy paradise in the Spring and Fall, travel in the Summer and Winter, and make frequent pilgrimages to Mecca (Lexington).

It's a simple formula.

Will do Sal and thanks much!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

RealLindaL wrote:

Were you here during Hurricane Ivan?  Just wondering.

Oh, yes.  Rode the storm out with my daughter and wife. We ended up in the huddled in the hallway. The wind blew so hard that it made the foundation of my house vibrate. The big oak tree in our back yard broke off about 6 feet up the trunk, and luckily fell mostly between the house and our big shed.

We had some damage, mostly to the roof. USAA gave us $12K, but it did not ultimately cost that much to effect repairs (a branch from the oak tree was exerting pressure on a wall, and we could not open the sliding glass door when the adjuster toured our house; but when the branch was cut away, the wall sprang back to its original shape, and the door opened fine, so did not need repair or replacement). I was an honest citizen and declared the excess payment as income on my taxes for that year.

In 2010, we bought into Rebuild Northwest Florida's hardening program and let them to their stuff on our dwelling. Gable end bracing, hurricane straps on every roof-joist, etc. We already had shutters and a hardened garage door.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

RealLindaL wrote:{{Not coming here, not coming here, not coming here, she chants.}}  

Hurricane Erin-1995
Hurricane Opal-1996
Hurricane Ivan-2004
Hurricane Dennis-2005

Just missed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

I can't name all of the tropical storms that have passed our way in between the hurricanes.

In this area, some people chance living in Paradise, others take a more cautious approach and live in FEMA Flood Zone X. Even properties in Flood Zone X can flood under the right conditions, such as April 29, 2014, when the local area got 30 inches of rain over a 12-hour period.

dumpcare

knothead wrote:
ppaca wrote:
knothead wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Good luck and have fun.

July 5, 1972 was my arrival and lived on PB the entire time . . . .

After 44 years I imagine you are leaving a lot of memories. My wife and I have been talking about moving back up north, we've been here 25 years.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Good luck to you Knothead.

knothead

knothead

Joanimaroni wrote:Good luck to you Knothead.

Thanks so much joani, yall ain't getting rid of me ya know . . . . ! LOL

dumpcare

Yes this is something to worry about, diving a little sw now, if it doesn't start a turn towards the north it may not, it's almost a 5 and at that strength may not curve until later than sooner.

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/loop.asp?data_folder=tropical/tropical_ge_4km_visir2_floater_1&width=640&height=480&number_of_images_to_display=12

RealLindaL

Matthew now a Cat 5, first in Atlantic since 2007.   It's noted by the NHC that none of the models forecast this rapid intensification.  Their cone of uncertainty has been shifted slightly more west as of the 11 p.m. advisory tonight, and the western edge of the cone now includes Miami, Ft. Lauderdale et al for mid-week next week, though by that time it should've weakened some from interaction with the islands.  

Meanwhile, Jamaica lies right in the monster's path and they haven't seen a direct hit potential like this since 1988.   Scary as hell.  Having been displaced from our home for nine stressful months due to damages from Ivan, I feel their fear.

See the latest path above in my post no. 4 of 9/28 on this thread, which graphic automatically updates.   Big chunk of South Florida in the cone now.

RealLindaL

The midnight (00Z 10/1) run of the GFS model is particularly bleak, basically making something of a mess of the entire U.S. east coast.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

We need that front to come on down

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:

Don't want to!

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:
knothead wrote:

Don't want to!

Don't want to is right!! We need your solid, logical mind here, knot.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum