Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Smart Phones

+5
Joanimaroni
VectorMan
Hallmarkgard
Hospital Bob
dumpcare
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Smart Phones Empty Smart Phones 9/18/2016, 2:01 pm

dumpcare

How much data on your smartphone do most of the members here have? Is data used when making a call? What smartphone do you have? Anyone have an apple SE?

2Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/18/2016, 2:18 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ppaca wrote:How much data on your smartphone do most of the members here have? Is data used when making a call? What smartphone do you have? Anyone have an apple SE?

I'm a Verizon customer using a Samsung galaxy S4. I have 2 gigs of data and pay about $60/mo for service. The S4 cost me about a hundred bucks on eBay.

I Rarely ever use more than 1 gig of my data allotment even though I'm on the internet quite a bit. But I rarely ever stream video which is what uses a lot of data.

No phone calls don't consume data.

3Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/18/2016, 2:28 pm

dumpcare

Hospital Bob wrote:
ppaca wrote:How much data on your smartphone do most of the members here have? Is data used when making a call? What smartphone do you have? Anyone have an apple SE?

I'm a Verizon customer using a Samsung galaxy S4.  I have 2 gigs of data and pay about $60/mo for service. The S4 cost me about a hundred bucks on eBay.

I Rarely ever use more than 1 gig of my data allotment even though I'm on the internet quite a bit.  But I rarely ever stream video which is what uses a lot of data.

No phone calls don't consume data.

Thanks HB

I guess the one you bought was an unlocked one?

4Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/18/2016, 2:31 pm

RealLindaL

I am a dinosaur with a clunky old Nokia, pre-flip, around Ivan era. It works fine for making and receiving calls which is all I ever use it for, and rarely even then. Text even more rarely, and only if someone texts me first. We still have a land line phone, plus a PC, laptop, and tablet, so why in the world would we need a smart phone? Just one more distraction in life, and one more thing to worry about losing or breaking or trying to keep updated. Call us crazy or stupid, but we're perfectly happy without one, just as we're happy being Facebook holdouts.

Nothing against y'all (prolly all of y'all) who love your smart phones (and FB). More power to you!

5Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/18/2016, 2:31 pm

dumpcare

I'm on ebay now. Was your phone from China?

6Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/18/2016, 2:34 pm

dumpcare

RealLindaL wrote:I am a dinosaur with a clunky old Nokia, pre-flip, around Ivan era.   It works fine for making and receiving calls which is all I ever use it for, and rarely even then.   Text even more rarely, and only if someone texts me first.  We still have a land line phone, plus a PC, laptop, and tablet, so why in the world would we need a smart phone?  Just one more distraction in life, and one more thing to worry about losing or breaking or trying to keep updated.  Call us crazy or stupid, but we're perfectly happy without one, just as we're happy being Facebook holdouts.  

Nothing against y'all (prolly all of y'all) who love your smart phones (and FB).  More power to you!

Well I have a 5 year old motorola flip phone and could text up until 2 days ago and also can't access my address book which I have about 100 contacts in I need, don't know if it's on or off, the screen went dead Friday. I also can't tell who's calling me which I also need. I have had a need for smartphone and teather at work when cox cable has gone down in Pensacola which has quite a few times this year.

7Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/18/2016, 2:44 pm

dumpcare

RealLindaL wrote:I am a dinosaur with a clunky old Nokia, pre-flip, around Ivan era.   It works fine for making and receiving calls which is all I ever use it for, and rarely even then.   Text even more rarely, and only if someone texts me first.  We still have a land line phone, plus a PC, laptop, and tablet, so why in the world would we need a smart phone?  Just one more distraction in life, and one more thing to worry about losing or breaking or trying to keep updated.  Call us crazy or stupid, but we're perfectly happy without one, just as we're happy being Facebook holdouts.  

Nothing against y'all (prolly all of y'all) who love your smart phones (and FB).  More power to you!

I learnt everything I know from FB. It's better than webmd. How do you think I could ever obtain an insurance license? Yep you guessed it fb, it's better than a box of wheatie's or cracker jacks. lol! lol! lol!

8Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/18/2016, 6:25 pm

dumpcare

Well I get very few texts and wouldn't you know it just received two and cannot read them. Are you messing with me Bob?

9Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/18/2016, 9:45 pm

2seaoat

I am very happy with my note 2 Samsung. It is absolutely a must with grandchildren and sharing utubes and it has apps which I find helpful. I could never imagine not having the power of a smart phone not in my pocket. My brother in law still has a phone from 15 years ago which he proudly will not upgrade.......he also was proud thirty years ago going to a car dealer and asking to be shown the least expensive vehicle on the lot......which he hard bargained for and would come back repeatedly until the dealer finally sold him the car.......he bought a standard transmission Pinto once, and it is not like he did not have the money.....he was superintendent of schools and his wife was a language teacher and they made over a quarter a million a year.......just some people take pride in not spending money.

10Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/19/2016, 12:25 am

Hallmarkgard

I used to be a Android fan. Still am for most things, tablets and cheap phones. Right now I am using a Apple 5s. I have a "Mophie" batter pack case that keeps it charged for a couple of days. It is amazing to me that a Wal-Mart you can buy a cheap (20 dollar) phone and run it on wi-fi and have a amazing small computer. I would find it hard to live with out a smart phone. Need to know how to trouble shoot your A/C before you call the pros? Quick search on You Tube will give you a video on how to do it. Travelling? Wazeis really great. The list is just too much to post. I use "Straight Talk" from Wal-Mart. About 45 dollars a month, works good for me.....

11Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/19/2016, 12:44 am

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:I am very happy with my note 2 Samsung.   It is absolutely a must with grandchildren and sharing utubes and it has apps which I find helpful.   I could never imagine not having the power of a smart phone not in my pocket.  My brother in law still has a phone from 15 years ago which he proudly will not upgrade.......he also was proud thirty years ago going to a car dealer and asking to be shown the least expensive vehicle on the lot......which he hard bargained for and would come back repeatedly until the dealer finally sold him the car.......he bought a standard transmission Pinto once, and it is not like he did not have the money.....he was superintendent of schools and his wife was a language teacher and they made over a quarter a million a year.......just some people take pride in not spending money.

Well, I'm not your brother-in-law, sea, and in my case it has absolutely nothing to do with the money.  Although we live fairly modestly in our retirement, I don't hesitate to spend on things I want or need.  I just don't feel any particular desire for, much less the necessity of, a smart phone. We don't travel, and I can google anything or watch YouTube videos perfectly well on any of our other three devices.   

And unlike your bil I don't especially "take pride in" not having spent money on a smart phone; in fact, in the presence of strangers (especially young people) I'm rather reluctant to take the old Nokia out of my purse since it's such an antique - and  because I know I'll be judged as the same for owning it.  (And just what does that say about our society, people?  Think about it.)

I do have to add -- watching others out in public who have their heads buried in their phones, often to the exclusion of their companions (this is especially visible in restaurants, if one pays attention) -- that I'm very grateful my husband and I are still happily talking to each other and not tethered to smart phones.

I certainly don't begrudge anyone else their love of the devices, and I never say never.  I am just perfectly fine without one at present, thank you very much.

12Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/19/2016, 8:15 am

dumpcare

Thanks all, Hallmark I am looking at apple 5C.

Linda my grand kids laugh when they see my flip phone.

13Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/19/2016, 9:11 am

Hallmarkgard

Wal mart has the 5s for 150.  The only catch is that it is locked into straight Talk.  I am not a huge Apple fan but I daughter is a Soft ware developer and I get her hand me downs.  LOL  She works for a pretty neat company  that supplies her with all the latest stuff.  Say what you will about Apple, they work well...   https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-Apple-iPhone-5S-16GB-4G-LTE-Prepaid-Smartphone/50285046

14Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/19/2016, 10:23 am

2seaoat

Well, I'm not your brother-in-law, sea, and in my case it has absolutely nothing to do with the money.

It really is not the money with him........he and his wife have millions in investments and get over 200k in pensions as it is obscene what they pay retired sups. It was more pathological with him. He ran the school district with a very fiscal conservative outlook, lived his private life way below his means and banked almost all their income, and just did not believe in getting new technology if the old technology still did the job. It took his kids to set up skype to let them spend time with the grandkids, and I was surprised they were not still on a dial up modem. They of course bought a Prius ten years ago and never get a new car, and never go on vacations since the kids left the house.

15Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/19/2016, 10:36 am

dumpcare

Hallmarkgard wrote:Wal mart has the 5s for 150.  The only catch is that it is locked into straight Talk.  I am not a huge Apple fan but I daughter is a Soft ware developer and I get her hand me downs.  LOL  She works for a pretty neat company  that supplies her with all the latest stuff.  Say what you will about Apple, they work well...   https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-Apple-iPhone-5S-16GB-4G-LTE-Prepaid-Smartphone/50285046

Thank you Hallmark.

16Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/19/2016, 10:44 am

That hallmark is a problem solver. I like that... lol.

17Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/19/2016, 11:13 am

2seaoat

The feature I like the best is the use of my smartphone as a modem and connection to the internet for my laptop. Any service disruption or when traveling, it is a great way to research. Bandwidth restrictions when traveling are a pain, but we have monthly go phone that we charge when we are traveling and it gives us 3 gig of data to supplement the smart phone.

18Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/19/2016, 12:25 pm

dumpcare

Yep, that tethering works out well for the people who have smartphone at work when the internet goes down.

19Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/20/2016, 9:49 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ppaca wrote:

I've never learned what all that geeky locked unlocked stuff means. So I just stick to seller descriptions which guarantee it'll work with my provider. No problems yet.

20Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/20/2016, 10:00 am

dumpcare

Hospital Bob wrote:
ppaca wrote:

I've never learned what all that geeky locked unlocked stuff means.  So I just stick to seller descriptions which guarantee it'll work with my provider.  No problems yet.

lol, strange I hung with you and this post appears.

21Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/21/2016, 12:13 am

VectorMan

VectorMan

Sometimes I get aggravated with my stupid smart phone.

22Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/21/2016, 1:19 am

RealLindaL

VectorMan wrote:Sometimes I get aggravated with my stupid smart phone.

LOL Vec.  See, that's the thing:  my friends frequently gripe about their phones as well, especially when they upgrade (which seems to me to be all the time, though I'm sure it isn't).  They get all worried about how to do stuff on the new phone, sometimes run to take a course, etc.  Seems like a lot of trouble to me.  I think life is far less complicated with my Nokia.  

And hey, ppaca, maybe one of these days I'll upgrade to a flip phone (ha), if they even still make those.  Gotta keep the kids in the world laughing, after all.   Laughing

23Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/21/2016, 7:34 am

dumpcare

RealLindaL wrote:
VectorMan wrote:Sometimes I get aggravated with my stupid smart phone.

LOL Vec.  See, that's the thing:  my friends frequently gripe about their phones as well, especially when they upgrade (which seems to me to be all the time, though I'm sure it isn't).  They get all worried about how to do stuff on the new phone, sometimes run to take a course, etc.  Seems like a lot of trouble to me.  I think life is far less complicated with my Nokia.  

And hey, ppaca, maybe one of these days I'll upgrade to a flip phone (ha), if they even still make those.  Gotta keep the kids in the world laughing, after all.   Laughing

Yes they still make them and I will probably just get one of those again if I can ever get out of the house.

24Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/21/2016, 4:01 pm

RealLindaL

ppaca wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Yes they still make them and I will probably just get one of those again if I can ever get out of the house.

So sorry you're apparently housebound, kiddo.   Keep us in the loop (no pun intended), and feel better soon!!!

Last edited by RealLindaL on 9/21/2016, 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

25Smart Phones Empty Re: Smart Phones 9/21/2016, 4:14 pm

dumpcare

Thanks Linda and at&t is right down the street from my house. I am glad they opened up one out here in GB. Maybe I'll stop into Dunkin and get a donut when I can get down there now that they're back open. But maybe not, I had tremendous set back today and it was either some of the plain noodles or the piece of cinnamon roll about the size of a silver dollar. My dinner consisted of chicken and gravy, green beans and banana pudding, now I know why baby's can't stand the vegetables it was baby food.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum