Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Florida Constitutional Amendments

+2
Margin Call
knothead
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

knothead

knothead

Has anyone actually read these proposed amendments? If not, you'll need a room full of constitutional scholars to decipher them.

First, they are written, almost purposely, to confuse. Each will be captioned as something that kinda sounds innocent enough but the amendment itself rewrites existing taxing laws. I am extremely suspicious of long winded amendments to our Constitution. In short they are confusing and downright misleading.

What is your view?

Margin Call

Margin Call

http://www.floridatrend.com/tagged/87

knothead

knothead

Margin Call wrote:http://www.floridatrend.com/tagged/87

Have you read them, that is my point? Helping disabled veterans sounds good to all of us BUT read the language it contains. I thought amendments on the ballot were supposed to be clear and concise and not misleading.

knothead wrote:Has anyone actually read these proposed amendments? If not, you'll need a room full of constitutional scholars to decipher them.

First, they are written, almost purposely, to confuse. Each will be captioned as something that kinda sounds innocent enough but the amendment itself rewrites existing taxing laws. I am extremely suspicious of long winded amendments to our Constitution. In short they are confusing and downright misleading.

What is your view?

Ive read some of them. I agree with you. I dont like it when they are so long and confusing. Much like the healthcare 2700 pages lets find out whats in it after we vote for it.

I know I will be voting against 6 and 8

knothead

knothead

Rogue wrote:
knothead wrote:Has anyone actually read these proposed amendments? If not, you'll need a room full of constitutional scholars to decipher them.

What is your view?

Ive read some of them. I agree with you. I dont like it when they are so long and confusing. Much like the healthcare 2700 pages lets find out whats in it after we vote for it.

I hear you Chrissy, for myself I think I will vote NO on all of them. They do not have my trust.

knothead wrote:
Rogue wrote:

What is your view?

I hear you Chrissy, for myself I think I will vote NO on all of them. They do not have my trust.

im with ya, i may too

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

No on 6 and 8; I may think about some of the others.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Yep no on 6 and 8

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Here's what the League of Women Voters has to say about the amendments:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 27, 2012

Deirdre Macnab
407-415-4559
League of Women Voters of Florida
floridaleague@earthlink.net
LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF FLORIDA REJECTS
ALL 11 CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS THIS YEAR

This November, Florida voters will see 11 of the most complex, confusing and, in some cases, misleading constitutional amendments proposed in recent memory. Voters will need to make a fundamental decision: "Do I want this in the state Constitution?"

The League of Women Voters of Florida urges voters to give a "thumbs down" to the 11 amendments they will confront on Election Day.

"Our Florida Constitution was crafted as a document that is intended to be difficult to change, and kept sacred for the purpose of identifying the structure of our government," said League President Deirdre Macnab.

Macnab also called attention to some things that all 11 amendments have in common--regardless of the issues they address: all were proposed by the state legislature within the last two years and all were placed on the ballot under new laws that allow the legislature and Attorney General to re-write summaries that do not pass court review. While legislators have steadily made it more difficult for citizen initiatives to be put to voters, they have removed safeguards relating to their own proposals.

According to Macnab, some of these amendments take aim at our fundamental rights, putting core American principles at risk in Florida. They attack the balance of power, right to privacy and separation of church and state. Consider:
Amendment 5 (State Courts) would tip the balance of power in favor of political branches by giving them greater influence in the selection of judges appointed to serve on Florida's Supreme Court. The measure seeks to undermine the intent of our nonpartisan judicial nominating system by requiring Senate confirmation for all judicial appointments to the high court. According to former State Senator Alex Villalobos, "The major objection is that Amendment 5 puts the nominee back into a political process, with the specter of partisan lawmakers rejecting qualified appointees over ideological issues. Reduced in importance could be the honesty, competency or diligence necessary to be a successful Supreme Court Justice."
Amendment 6 (Prohibition on Public Funding of Abortions; Construction of Abortion Rights) would allow Florida politicians to intrude on personal medical decisions between a woman, her family and her doctor. The League says that Amendment 6 is an example of big government at its worst and could potentially endanger women's lives.
Amendment 8 (Religious Freedom) is a misnamed amendment that would allow taxpayer funding of religious institutions. It will allow public money to be used for religious indoctrination. Saying 'No' to this amendment will not jeopardize existing funding for some religious groups' social welfare programs, which provide important services, but will continue to ensure that groups do not promote their specific religion at taxpayers' expense.
A number of the amendments (2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11) put tax limits, exemptions and loopholes in the Constitution. "With the Constitution intentionally hard to change," Macnab stated, "a better place for such tax provisions is regular statutory law, where changing conditions make modification easier. Further, our tax policy needs a level playing field. It's already riddled with loopholes and these amendments cut state revenues drastically."

Reporting on a just-released analysis of Amendment 3 (State Government Revenue Limitation), Robb Gray, Director of State Engagement & Partnerships for the Washington, D.C.-based Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP), said, "Funding for Florida schools, universities, roads and bridges, health programs for children and the elderly, public transit, and a wide range of other public services will fall significantly if voters enact Amendment 3. A similar amendment in Colorado--the only state to have tried it--led to such drastic cuts in public services in Colorado that voters chose to suspend it. Amendment 3 would make Florida a much less attractive place to work and live by undermining the state's ability to fulfill its current responsibilities to its residents and make long-term investments that are fundamental to future prosperity."

Speaking about the CBPP's just-released analysis of Amendment 4 (Property Tax Limitation), Gray said, "Amendment 4 would lock a deeply flawed set of property tax changes into the state's Constitution, leading to tax increases for large numbers of Florida residents, a competitive disadvantage for new and emerging businesses, and significant cuts in local services--while producing little if any economic benefit. Amendment 4 would force local governments to choose between raising taxes on large numbers of year-round Florida homeowners, making deep cuts to local services or some combination of the two."

Summarizing the League's opposition to all amendments, Macnab said, "The Constitution is a governing document, and should be left sacred to that purpose. We urge legislators to use their law-making power, and not weigh citizens down with complicated amendments that do not belong in our state's Constitution. We urge all citizens to give these complex and inappropriate amendments a firm thumbs down"

The League of Women Voters of Florida Education Fund has a complete toolkit to support its voter education campaign, including a Voter Assistance Hotline, 1-855-FL-VOTER (1-855-358-6837), a one-stop website, BeReadytoVote.org, a mobile site accessible via smartphone, and a nonpartisan 2012 Election and Voter Guide, available in print in both English and Spanish throughout Florida and online at BeReadytoVote.org.

###

The League of Women Voters of Florida, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. For more information, please visit the League's website at: www.TheFloridaVoter.org.

knothead

knothead

OS, thank you for posting that information, it confirms my original suspicion and I will vote NO on all of these amendments. Don't you just love these politicians trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes with gobbledegoop legal jargon that gives them more power and authority while taking it away from the citizens. Unbelievable . . . .

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote:Here's what the League of Women Voters has to say about the amendments:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 27, 2012

Deirdre Macnab
407-415-4559
League of Women Voters of Florida
floridaleague@earthlink.net
LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF FLORIDA REJECTS
ALL 11 CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS THIS YEAR

This November, Florida voters will see 11 of the most complex, confusing and, in some cases, misleading constitutional amendments proposed in recent memory. Voters will need to make a fundamental decision: "Do I want this in the state Constitution?"

The League of Women Voters of Florida urges voters to give a "thumbs down" to the 11 amendments they will confront on Election Day.

"Our Florida Constitution was crafted as a document that is intended to be difficult to change, and kept sacred for the purpose of identifying the structure of our government," said League President Deirdre Macnab.

Macnab also called attention to some things that all 11 amendments have in common--regardless of the issues they address: all were proposed by the state legislature within the last two years and all were placed on the ballot under new laws that allow the legislature and Attorney General to re-write summaries that do not pass court review. While legislators have steadily made it more difficult for citizen initiatives to be put to voters, they have removed safeguards relating to their own proposals.

According to Macnab, some of these amendments take aim at our fundamental rights, putting core American principles at risk in Florida. They attack the balance of power, right to privacy and separation of church and state. Consider:
Amendment 5 (State Courts) would tip the balance of power in favor of political branches by giving them greater influence in the selection of judges appointed to serve on Florida's Supreme Court. The measure seeks to undermine the intent of our nonpartisan judicial nominating system by requiring Senate confirmation for all judicial appointments to the high court. According to former State Senator Alex Villalobos, "The major objection is that Amendment 5 puts the nominee back into a political process, with the specter of partisan lawmakers rejecting qualified appointees over ideological issues. Reduced in importance could be the honesty, competency or diligence necessary to be a successful Supreme Court Justice."
Amendment 6 (Prohibition on Public Funding of Abortions; Construction of Abortion Rights) would allow Florida politicians to intrude on personal medical decisions between a woman, her family and her doctor. The League says that Amendment 6 is an example of big government at its worst and could potentially endanger women's lives.
Amendment 8 (Religious Freedom) is a misnamed amendment that would allow taxpayer funding of religious institutions. It will allow public money to be used for religious indoctrination. Saying 'No' to this amendment will not jeopardize existing funding for some religious groups' social welfare programs, which provide important services, but will continue to ensure that groups do not promote their specific religion at taxpayers' expense.
A number of the amendments (2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11) put tax limits, exemptions and loopholes in the Constitution. "With the Constitution intentionally hard to change," Macnab stated, "a better place for such tax provisions is regular statutory law, where changing conditions make modification easier. Further, our tax policy needs a level playing field. It's already riddled with loopholes and these amendments cut state revenues drastically."

Reporting on a just-released analysis of Amendment 3 (State Government Revenue Limitation), Robb Gray, Director of State Engagement & Partnerships for the Washington, D.C.-based Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP), said, "Funding for Florida schools, universities, roads and bridges, health programs for children and the elderly, public transit, and a wide range of other public services will fall significantly if voters enact Amendment 3. A similar amendment in Colorado--the only state to have tried it--led to such drastic cuts in public services in Colorado that voters chose to suspend it. Amendment 3 would make Florida a much less attractive place to work and live by undermining the state's ability to fulfill its current responsibilities to its residents and make long-term investments that are fundamental to future prosperity."

Speaking about the CBPP's just-released analysis of Amendment 4 (Property Tax Limitation), Gray said, "Amendment 4 would lock a deeply flawed set of property tax changes into the state's Constitution, leading to tax increases for large numbers of Florida residents, a competitive disadvantage for new and emerging businesses, and significant cuts in local services--while producing little if any economic benefit. Amendment 4 would force local governments to choose between raising taxes on large numbers of year-round Florida homeowners, making deep cuts to local services or some combination of the two."

Summarizing the League's opposition to all amendments, Macnab said, "The Constitution is a governing document, and should be left sacred to that purpose. We urge legislators to use their law-making power, and not weigh citizens down with complicated amendments that do not belong in our state's Constitution. We urge all citizens to give these complex and inappropriate amendments a firm thumbs down"

The League of Women Voters of Florida Education Fund has a complete toolkit to support its voter education campaign, including a Voter Assistance Hotline, 1-855-FL-VOTER (1-855-358-6837), a one-stop website, BeReadytoVote.org, a mobile site accessible via smartphone, and a nonpartisan 2012 Election and Voter Guide, available in print in both English and Spanish throughout Florida and online at BeReadytoVote.org.

###

The League of Women Voters of Florida, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. For more information, please visit the League's website at: www.TheFloridaVoter.org.

Most informative. Thank you.

Florida voters and the general public can find in-depth objective analysis of the proposed constitutional amendments at www.ConRevFlorida.org. In addition, the site features loads of content on important Florida government and election issues such as redistricting, voter reform, and term limits. There are thousands of related news articles and links to state and national political and election web sites you can search. You can even register to vote online.

knothead

knothead

ConRevFlorida wrote:Florida voters and the general public can find in-depth objective analysis of the proposed constitutional amendments at www.ConRevFlorida.org. In addition, the site features loads of content on important Florida government and election issues such as redistricting, voter reform, and term limits. There are thousands of related news articles and links to state and national political and election web sites you can search. You can even register to vote online.

Appreciate the link and the information. I will read more but my instinct tells me to vote NO on all. Thanks again.

Vote against #3

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

knothead wrote:OS, thank you for posting that information, it confirms my original suspicion and I will vote NO on all of these amendments. Don't you just love these politicians trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes with gobbledegoop legal jargon that gives them more power and authority while taking it away from the citizens. Unbelievable . . . .

Imagine the time and money it took to put these misworded and misleading proposed amendments together. What a WASTE!

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

You're very welcome. It is the librarian coming out in me. We used to depend heavily on the explanations given by the League when we lived in California which is noted for their cumbersome ballots and campaign ads about them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum