Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bacon, pork shortage 'now unavoidable,' industry group says

+4
Yella
2seaoat
TEOTWAWKI
Hospital Bob
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-pork-bacon-shortage-20120924,0,5901787.story

Bob wrote:http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-pork-bacon-shortage-20120924,0,5901787.story

add this to a growing list of other food shortages.

the more they dig for things it turns out everything we eat is contaminated, even rice Mad

pork is probaly my most fav meat. pork ribs, pulled pork, bacon yummmm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

One of my Grandpas raised hogs... I try not to think about the animal when I eat pork/ham...they are just filthy ...

Bob wrote:http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-pork-bacon-shortage-20120924,0,5901787.story

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!

No

2seaoat

We have visited friends of my wife who own a midwest farm whose primary income is from pigs. They have an amazing self contained pork operation, and we have watched them go with the ebb and flow of pricing for the last 30 years.....nothing new here.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:One of my Grandpas raised hogs... I try not to think about the animal when I eat pork/ham...they are just filthy ...

That is actually not true, T. If I didn't need to get ready for this breakfast mtg in town I'd look it up and link you to an article or some such on the subject.

While hogs mire in the mud, I believe they are absolutely the most clean livestock we've got.

Ah, to hell with it. Here's just one article for you, then I have GOT to get going!

http://tamunews.tamu.edu/2007/02/15/hey-porky-pig-you-deserve-some-respect-expert-believes/

Pork: I love you

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

riceme wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:One of my Grandpas raised hogs... I try not to think about the animal when I eat pork/ham...they are just filthy ...

That is actually not true, T. If I didn't need to get ready for this breakfast mtg in town I'd look it up and link you to an article or some such on the subject.

While hogs mire in the mud, I believe they are absolutely the most clean livestock we've got.

Ah, to hell with it. Here's just one article for you, then I have GOT to get going!

http://tamunews.tamu.edu/2007/02/15/hey-porky-pig-you-deserve-some-respect-expert-believes/

Pork: I love you

Oh I know they are smarter than dogs and genetically close to humans but I used to have to slop the hogs and watch them fight and fuss to gorge themselves...maybe it was just that when I was bad they threatened to feed me to them...I wonder if I had a brother that was bad before I was born ?....hummmm.

Yella

Yella

We'll probably all be better off without pork.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Bacon, pork shortage 'now unavoidable,' industry group says Th?id=I.4897083772502818&pid=1

Buy a few more pigs... Check...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bor9p7Ms62s

Very Happy

Thanks for the tip Bob.

VectorMan

VectorMan

Bacon is buy-one-get-one free at Food World.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Oh I know they are smarter than dogs and genetically close to humans but I used to have to slop the hogs and watch them fight and fuss to gorge themselves...maybe it was just that when I was bad they threatened to feed me to them...I wonder if I had a brother that was bad before I was born ?....hummmm.

I used to receive the same threat... if I misbehaved I'd be fed to the hogs, and they absolutely can be vicious animals... both boars and sows. But it is a fallacy that they are filthy animals. They are much cleaner than most all other animals, even though they will happily eat pork,... or human, or whatever you throw into the pen.

knothead

knothead

Pork rules . . .

knothead wrote:Pork rules . . .

I agree.

Ive had whole pigs a few times smoked to where the meat just falls off the bone................. omgosh its to early for me to be wanting grilled pork...

Less Pigs and Hogs are a good thing. Have you ever been near a Factory pig/hog farm? You can smell the damn thing for over 10 miles away. Stink, filth, tons and tons manure., Nasty nasty ass places. They often ruin a entire community when they come to the area....
DES MOINES, Iowa — On Capitol Hill, a $1.7 million earmark for pig odor research in Iowa has become a big, fat joke among Republicans, a Grade A example of pork. But the people who live cheek by jowl with hog farms in the No. 1 pig-producing state aren't laughing.
They're gagging.
"You hold your breath and when it's really bad you get the taste in your mouth," said Carroll Harless, a 70-year-old retired corn-and-soybean farmer from Iowa Falls.
In Iowa, where the 20 million hogs easily outnumber the 3 million people, the rotten-egg-and-ammonia smell of hog waste often wafts into homes, landing like a punch to the chest.
"Once, we couldn't go outside for a week," said Karen Forbes, who lives near a hog feedlot outside Lorimor. "It burned your eyes. You couldn't breathe. You had to take a deep breath and run for your garage. It was horrid."
She recalls a citywide garage sale held in the town of 420 a couple of years ago that no one attended because of the stink that day.
The proposal to spend money on how to control pig-farm smells is contained in a $410 billion spending bill now making its way through Congress. Among other earmarks that have been criticized: tattoo removal for gang members in Los Angeles; Polynesian canoe rides in Hawaii; termite research in New Orleans; and the study of grape genetics in New York.
Despite the ridicule from Sen. John McCain and other Republicans, Iowa and the federal government have been studying how to control hog odors for years. The latest grant continues efforts under way at the Agricultural Research Service at the U.S. Department of Agriculture labs in Ames, Iowa.
Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, inserted the earmark.
"While we will likely hear about it on Jay Leno or the Letterman show, where they will be yukking it up, it's a profoundly serious challenge," he said. He said the idea is to help the pork industry go about its business "in an environmentally friendly way and be good neighbors."
Study looks at eating habits
The federal study is looking at what hogs eat and how the stench can be reduced. Despite years of work in Iowa and elsewhere, solutions to the problem have proved elusive, though researchers have had success using ultraviolet light to remove odors and planting trees and other vegetation to suck up the smell.

Ryan Woebbeking, who has about 2,500 hogs near Gladbrook, said he and many other farmers are working to reduce the odor. He said he plans to plant some windbreaks soon to help keep the smell from drifting.
"I have a neighbor across the road and I try to be conscious of how it smells because it can portray against you and the community, too," he said.
Hog odors have been a perennial issue at the state Legislature, where lawmakers argue over the need to protect quality of life without ruining Iowa's $12-billion-a-year pork industry.
Harless, the retired farmer, blamed the smell — a mix of hydrogen sulfide and ammonia — for headaches that led him to spend two weeks at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. Doctors could not conclusively link his headaches to hog farming, but Harless said his symptoms have nearly disappeared since he retired and moved into town, away from an operation that housed 7,500 hogs less than a half-mile down the road.
"It's just overwhelming when you're getting the full strength of it," he said.
Several lawsuits have been filed in Iowa in recent years by neighbors of hog lots who blame the odors for health problems and declining property values. In one case a jury awarded $76,400 to four families over falling property values.
Lisa Whelan of Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement said the state should phase out huge hog operations, not simply try to freshen them up a bit.
"If this money goes into research on how we can promote sustainable agricultural methods, that's a good investment. It's good for all of us," she said. "If this money is going toward promoting a system that pushes the corporate-backed style methods of hog production, we don't think that's money being used to support the common good."
Come take a whiff, Harkin says
To those who make light of the smell, Harkin extended an open invitation: Come to Iowa and take a whiff.
"We could probably quadruple the money going into research if we got some of these people to tour areas where these large hog confinements are going up," the senator said.

Smithfield's holding ponds -- the company calls them lagoons -- cover as much as 120,000 square feet. The area around a single slaughterhouse can contain hundreds of lagoons, some of which run thirty feet deep. The liquid in them is not brown. The interactions between the bacteria and blood and afterbirths and stillborn piglets and urine and excrement and chemicals and drugs turn the lagoons pink.
Even light rains can cause lagoons to overflow; major floods have transformed entire counties into pig-shit bayous. To alleviate swelling lagoons, workers sometimes pump the shit out of them and spray the waste on surrounding fields, which results in what the industry daintily refers to as "overapplication." This can turn hundreds of acres -- thousands of football fields -- into shallow mud puddles of pig shit. Tree branches drip with pig shit.

Some pig-farm lagoons have polyethylene liners, which can be punctured by rocks in the ground, allowing shit to seep beneath the liners and spread and ferment. Gases from the fermentation can inflate the liner like a hot-air balloon and rise in an expanding, accelerating bubble, forcing thousands of tons of feces out of the lagoon in all directions.

The lagoons themselves are so viscous and venomous that if someone falls in it is foolish to try to save him. A few years ago, a truck driver in Oklahoma was transferring pig shit to a lagoon when he and his truck went over the side. It took almost three weeks to recover his body. In 1992, when a worker making repairs to a lagoon in Minnesota began to choke to death on the fumes, another worker dived in after him, and they died the same death. In another instance, a worker who was repairing a lagoon in Michigan was overcome by the fumes and fell in. His fifteen-year-old nephew dived in to save him but was overcome, the worker's cousin went in to save the teenager but was overcome, the worker's older brother dived in to save them but was overcome, and then the worker's father dived in. They all died in pig shit.

Bacon, pork shortage 'now unavoidable,' industry group says 12840865-12840868-slarge

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

jesus i made the mistake of turning on this thread again just as as I was about to bite into a BLT.

VectorMan

VectorMan

This shortage and the deaths in pig shit lagoons is obviously a muslim conspiracy.

I just had a bacon and extra sharp cheddar grilled cheese sandwich with bread and butter pickles on the side. YUM-YUM!

hallmarkgrad:

I would argue that the stories you shared make a far better case for HUMANS being filthy than hogs... Humans created those conditions in which hogs were forced to live. And die.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

hallmarkgrad wrote:Smithfield's holding ponds -- the company calls them lagoons -- cover as much as 120,000 square feet. The area around a single slaughterhouse can contain hundreds of lagoons, some of which run thirty feet deep. The liquid in them is not brown. The interactions between the bacteria and blood and afterbirths and stillborn piglets and urine and excrement and chemicals and drugs turn the lagoons pink.
Even light rains can cause lagoons to overflow; major floods have transformed entire counties into pig-shit bayous. To alleviate swelling lagoons, workers sometimes pump the shit out of them and spray the waste on surrounding fields, which results in what the industry daintily refers to as "overapplication." This can turn hundreds of acres -- thousands of football fields -- into shallow mud puddles of pig shit. Tree branches drip with pig shit.

Some pig-farm lagoons have polyethylene liners, which can be punctured by rocks in the ground, allowing shit to seep beneath the liners and spread and ferment. Gases from the fermentation can inflate the liner like a hot-air balloon and rise in an expanding, accelerating bubble, forcing thousands of tons of feces out of the lagoon in all directions.

The lagoons themselves are so viscous and venomous that if someone falls in it is foolish to try to save him. A few years ago, a truck driver in Oklahoma was transferring pig shit to a lagoon when he and his truck went over the side. It took almost three weeks to recover his body. In 1992, when a worker making repairs to a lagoon in Minnesota began to choke to death on the fumes, another worker dived in after him, and they died the same death. In another instance, a worker who was repairing a lagoon in Michigan was overcome by the fumes and fell in. His fifteen-year-old nephew dived in to save him but was overcome, the worker's cousin went in to save the teenager but was overcome, the worker's older brother dived in to save them but was overcome, and then the worker's father dived in. They all died in pig shit.

Bacon, pork shortage 'now unavoidable,' industry group says 12840865-12840868-slarge

Thanks I never knew any of that....interesting stuff.

Sal

Sal

And sometimes those pig shit lagoons produce a mysterious foam on the surface that causes explosions killing thousands of hogs.

A few years ago, hog farmers throughout the Midwest noticed foam building on top of their manure pits. Soon after, barns began exploding, killing thousands of hogs while farmers lost millions of dollars.

A team of University of Minnesota researchers is looking to find a fix for the foam that is plaguing hog farms.

The foam traps gases like methane and when a spark ignites it causes an explosion. About a half dozen barns in the Midwest have exploded since the foam was discovered in 2009.

In mid-September 2011, a barn in Iowa was added to the growing number of barns taken down by the foam. In the explosion, 1,500 pigs were lost, and one worker was injured.

Not only does the foam cause explosions but it also reduces manure storage volume and dirties the hogs.

The foam can reach heights of 4 feet. Farmers are encouraged to knock it down with water.

The researchers conduct their studies on commercial farms in Minnesota and surrounding states. Chuck Clanton, a bioproducts and biosystems engineering professor, said the team’s current approach is targeting how different microorganisms — primarily bacteria — developed in the manure pit. They think that a new set of species has formed in these pits in the last few years.

Larry Jacobson, another professor in the department, and his team haven’t found a solution for the foam but have discovered ways to curb its growth.

“We’re treating the symptoms but not getting to the cause,” he said.

The researchers still aren’t sure what causes the foam. But they have noticed a correlation between adding dried distillers grains in soluble — a product of the ethanol production process increasingly used in livestock diets — to the hogs’ diets and the foam, although that solution is too simplistic, Jacobson said.

“It’s very frustrating when you have two identical buildings sitting next to each other with same management, genetics, diets, etc. One foams, and the other does not,” Clanton said.

Pork production is an important source of income for Minnesota farmers and a billion-dollar industry in the state. According to data from the Minnesota Pork Board, the state’s pork farmers earned $2.1 billion in gross income from hog sales in 2010.

The state’s farmers have a lot at stake when this foam starts developing on their hog farms.

The average pig production building holds 2,000 or more pigs and costs about $600,000 to build. A heavier pig weighs about 250 pounds, and, within a few weeks of market, a barn filled with heavy pigs would be worth about $300,000. The cost of cleanup after an explosion combined with disposing of the dead hogs could easily cost a farmer up to $1 million, Jacobson said.

Not only will this research benefit the pork producers and their hogs but also the insurance companies of the facilities, Clanton said.

Funding for this research came from the Minnesota Agricultural Experiment Station, Rapid Agriculture Response Fund and the Minnesota Pork Producers Association.

The researchers will continue to search for a solution to the foam.

“So far, we are still working hard to understand the new phenomenon,” said assistant professor Bo Hu. “We’re trying to provide suggestions for farmers.”

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/02/07/exploding-hog-barns-beckon-u-researchers

[quote="riceme"]hallmarkgrad:

I would argue that the stories you shared make a far better case for HUMANS being filthy than hogs... Humans created those conditions in which hogs were forced to live. And die. [/quot

Correct. I am not a animal rights activist. My daughter when to college in Iowa. I was appalled by what I saw. Cattle feed lots are also very bad.
When I worked in Kansas i use to pass a slaughter house on my way to work until I found another route.

hallmarkgrad wrote:
riceme wrote:hallmarkgrad:

I would argue that the stories you shared make a far better case for HUMANS being filthy than hogs... Humans created those conditions in which hogs were forced to live. And die.

Correct. I am not a animal rights activist. My daughter when to college in Iowa. I was appalled by what I saw. Cattle feed lots are also very bad.
When I worked in Kansas i use to pass a slaughter house on my way to work until I found another route.

My own opinion is that humans are the most filthy animals that walk the earth. Just look at what we do with our big ole brains and those freakin' AWESOME opposable thumbs! We create disgusting living conditions for our own food. Yuk. And no, I am certainly no animal rights activist, either. I've slaughtered and butchered more lambs, hogs and rabbits than I could count. And I would wear (or use) fur off any animal whose meat went to good use. It's a damned waste not to.

While I do not currently raise my own livestock, I am fortunate enough to live in country where beef is raised on ranches, not in feedlots, and I know who they sell to, so I know I'm not buying feedlot beef. Pork and lamb I just get fresh from my friend down the road (while I am sometimes tempted to shoot his noisy mules). I wish everyone had the solutions at their fingertips I do so they didn't have to support feedlots and the greedy bastards who own them.

Oh, and don't get me started on chickens. Damn shitpeckers are almost as filthy as humans! Evil or Very Mad

Yella

Yella

hallmarkgrad wrote:Smithfield's holding ponds -- the company calls them lagoons -- cover as much as 120,000 square feet. The area around a single slaughterhouse can contain hundreds of lagoons, some of which run thirty feet deep. The liquid in them is not brown. The interactions between the bacteria and blood and afterbirths and stillborn piglets and urine and excrement and chemicals and drugs turn the lagoons pink.

These pigs all died for you. Go now,my son, and BBQ no more.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

This goes along with how badly pigs are treated.....

http://www.serendipity.li/hr/german_pow.htm

In Andernach about 50,000 prisoners of all ages were held in an open field surrounded by barbed wire. The women were kept in a separate enclosure I did not see until later. The men I guarded had no shelter and no blankets; many had no coats. They slept in the mud, wet and cold, with inadequate slit trenches for excrement. It was a cold, wet spring and their misery from exposure alone was evident.

Even more shocking was to see the prisoners throwing grass and weeds into a tin can containing a thin soup. They told me they did this to help ease their hunger pains. Quickly, they grew emaciated. Dysentery raged, and soon they were sleeping in their own excrement, too weak and crowded to reach the slit trenches. Many were begging for food, sickening and dying before our eyes. We had ample food and supplies, but did nothing to help them, including no medical assistance.

Outraged, I protested to my officers and was met with hostility or bland indifference. When pressed, they explained they were under strict orders from "higher up." No officer would dare do this to 50,000 men if he felt that it was "out of line," leaving him open to charges. Realizing my protests were useless, I asked a friend working in the kitchen if he could slip me some extra food for the prisoners. He too said they were under strict orders to severely ration the prisoners' food and that these orders came from "higher up." But he said they had more food than they knew what to do with and would sneak me some.

KarlRove

KarlRove

I'll bet the Muslims are glad.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum