Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

O.J.: Made in America

+2
RealLindaL
Sal
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1O.J.: Made in America Empty O.J.: Made in America 6/19/2016, 5:19 pm

Sal

Sal

Really excellent and compelling TV.

It really is a quintessentially and uniquely American tragedy.

2O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/19/2016, 5:32 pm

RealLindaL

I watched for a while but couldn't stand it. I had followed the story and the trial very closely at the time, and found I just didn't wish to re-live the terrible frustration I felt at the outrageous and STUPID miscarriage of justice.

3O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/19/2016, 7:39 pm

2seaoat

There was NO miscarriage of justice. There was simple incompetence in prosecutors who turned what should have been a two week trial into a three month fiasco. Jury nullification sends a very clear message, but the standard of proof of beyond a reasonable doubt requires professionals who are not playing Hollywood, and are doing their job. I consistently said during the trial that he was not going to be found guilty because I had NEVER seen such incompetence in a prosecution team. My daughter can put evidence in on a double murder in two weeks....she does not need months.....utter incompetence. In the American jurisprudence, you still are required to put evidence to be weighed before a jury in a competent manner, playing to the cameras may have denied the family the conviction they believed they deserved, but if that case in chief was so bumbled, we will never know the entire truth, unless OJ has turned something over to his lawyers to be released after his death which is an admission......I do not think he is that concerned, or that smart, and many to this day have doubt as to what happened........whether it is reasonable ,history will have to decide.

4O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/19/2016, 7:57 pm

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:There was NO miscarriage of justice.   There was simple incompetence in prosecutors who turned what should have been a two week trial into a three month fiasco.   Jury nullification sends a very clear message, but the standard of proof of beyond a reasonable doubt requires professionals who are not playing Hollywood, and are doing their job.   I consistently said during the trial that he was not going to be found guilty because I had NEVER seen such incompetence in a prosecution team.  My daughter can put evidence in on a double murder in two weeks....she does not need months.....utter incompetence.  In the American jurisprudence, you still are required to put evidence to be weighed before a jury in a competent manner, playing to the cameras may have denied the family the conviction they believed they deserved, but if that case in chief was so bumbled, we will never know the entire truth, unless OJ has turned something over to his lawyers to be released after his death which is an admission......I do not think he is that concerned, or that smart, and many to this day have doubt as to what happened........whether it is reasonable ,history will have to decide.

You should watch the documentary.

Some of what you wrote is true, but much of it is uninformed.

5O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/19/2016, 8:05 pm

2seaoat

but much of it is uninformed.

I do not need a documentary to inform me about the failure of the State's case in chief. Period. I watched it and saw utter incompetence which any knowledgeable person simply cringed at the time. The result was obvious. Incompetence is not rewarded.

6O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/19/2016, 8:09 pm

2seaoat

I could take any two 10 year prosecutors in my daughter's office and they could have put a case in chief into evidence in two weeks. No more time was needed. I understand the dilatory conduct of the defense lawyers, but it was the dilatory techniques of the prosecution which was so offensive to the knowledgeable. Nobody needs to see a documentary who watched the trial and saw utter incompetence......it will remain the same no matter who tries to put lipstick on that pig of a case in chief.

7O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/19/2016, 8:22 pm

Sal

Sal

Blah, blah, blah ...

I didn't say prosecutorial incompetence was not a factor.

It was, but only one of many.

Very interesting and informative documentary that illuminated the myriad aspects of this American saga.

It also went into some detail about Simpson's activities after his aqcuittal and subsequent civil judgement.

interesting stuff.

8O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/19/2016, 8:30 pm

2seaoat

I have read good things on the documentary, but there were multiple good and informative law publications which dissected the case in chief 20 years ago, and the blah blah blah, is all that matters. If a prosecution team cannot put a case in chief into evidence competently, nothing else matters.....it is all over. The soap opera chit is of no interest to me, but again only good things are being said about the documentary.

9O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/19/2016, 9:32 pm

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:There was NO miscarriage of justice.

Perhaps "miscarriage of justice" was not the correct term.  Still, you can say whatever pleases you, but in my book when a blatantly guilty abuser-turned-murderer gets away with the crime scot free, justice has not been served.

Yes, there was prosecutorial incompetence up the ying-yang, yes, there was jury nullification going on, and yadda yadda yadda, but the bottom line is a hideous murder went unpunished and remains so, even though it was "solved" very early on.

Glen Beck reported sometime in the past week or two that one of OJ's friends stated OJ was about to come out with a confession to the murders.  I'll believe it when I see it.

10O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/20/2016, 10:19 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

IMHO, the trial should never have been televised. It seemed that everyone was looking for his/her 15 minutes of fame, including the judge. I had no interest in watching the proceedings and barely saw any of the actual trial, but I was at the YMCA often in those days and it was impossible not to hear the daily play-by-play. I don't watch soap operas, either... Was he guilty? Innocent? Extenuating circumstances? Who the hell knows? Oh, and, Linda, it ain't Glenn Beck.

11O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/20/2016, 2:37 pm

2seaoat

I sadly watched too much of the actual trial as my job has always been flexible in my business where I answer to myself, and I do not need a documentary to understand that the state abandoned its responsibility in putting in a cogent and lucid case in chief. Whether OJ killed the victims, the case in chief was not even hand grenade close to meeting the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt. I do not believe that trials belong on TV. When I watch Judge Judy and all the court shows which pander to the lowest common denominator, you can see how the prosecution got caught up in Hollywood and abandoned their duty.

12O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/20/2016, 3:54 pm

Sal

Sal

He is guilty.

If you watched the documentary, you be hard pressed to come to any other conclusion.

There was simply no possibility of that jury convicting him, regardless of the evidence.

They had one juror on who said that she and the majority of the other jurors had decided that they would acquit in retaliation for the Rodney King verdict before the trial was halfway through.

13O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/20/2016, 4:04 pm

2seaoat

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/10892053/OJ-Simpson-was-he-innocent-all-along.html

Yep.....and here is another in the long line of folks who have the answer.

14O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/20/2016, 4:43 pm

RealLindaL

Floridatexan wrote: Oh, and, Linda, it ain't Glenn Beck.

It ain't Glenn Beck what??

If you're saying it ain't Glenn Beck who knows whether OJ's guilty or innocent, I never said he did -- and I don't need Glenn Beck to decide for me anyway. There are very few things I'm positive about but this is one of them.

15O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/20/2016, 4:45 pm

RealLindaL

Salinsky wrote:He is guilty.

As the day is long - and that's especially apropos today, I hope you'll note.
Smile

16O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/21/2016, 9:32 am

Telstar

Telstar

I'll wait for it to be released on DVD. How is Sarah Paulson in the role of Marcia Clark? She is outstanding in American Horror Story. She deserved an EMMY for her performance in the Freaks season.

17O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/21/2016, 9:57 am

Sal

Sal

Telstar wrote:I'll wait for it to be released on DVD. How is Sarah Paulson in the role of Marcia Clark? She is outstanding in American Horror Story. She deserved an EMMY for her performance in the Freaks season.

We are talking about O.J.: Made in America - the five part documentary produced by ESPN's 30 for 30 series, not FX's 10 part mini-series - The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story.

I watched them both.

They both were astonishing for different reasons.

The ESPN documentary was an astonishing look at the history and angles that made the O.J. story such a unique and quintessentially American tragedy of Shakespearean proportions.

It will win every award available to it.

The FX series was more like a soap opera.

It was astoundingly bad - but like a slow motion train wreck, I just couldn't look away.

Some of the acting was pretty good, but some was spectacularly bad - see John Travolta as Robert Shapiro.

Wow.

Shocked

18O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/21/2016, 7:33 pm

Been away a bit. Talked to a friend last night about this show. I'm without cable presently so I'll catch up on it another time hopefully.

By the way, if Seaoat could come on here a few more times and say "case in chief," we'd all be better for it.

Nine times.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

19O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/21/2016, 7:47 pm

2seaoat

By the way, if Seaoat could come on here a few more times and say "case in chief," we'd all be better for it.

Nine times.

Some bridges are simply too far and nine is not enough.

20O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/21/2016, 8:21 pm

More than enough.

21O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/21/2016, 10:52 pm

Vikingwoman

"Whether OJ killed the victims, the case in chief was not even hand grenade close to meeting the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt."

I watched every second of that trial from start to end over the summer.I read Marcia Clark's book and saw half of the first documentary. The evidence was astounding. I'm saying I don't think you'll ever have a murder trial that has as much evidence as this one did. It was simply overwhelming how much evidence there was. For anyone to think the LAPD and the crime lab all conspired to frame OJ is beyond belief. Nicole and Goldman's blood was on his socks, in his car, african american hairs were in the hat, the Bruno Magli shoe imprints, the lies OJ told about domestic violence and owning the shoes! The glove found on his property w/ their blood on it! They didn't even put on the witness who saw him driving away like a maniac from the scene and almost hit her.The chauffeur who saw a black man entering his house right after the murders.Kato Kaelin hearing him crash over his wall where he dropped the glove. The car chase and the gun, wig and money when he was escaping! I seen you post some bizarre opinions, Oatie but this takes the cake.

22O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/21/2016, 11:09 pm

2seaoat

Oatie but this takes the cake.

not me.....just knowledgeable folks......you thought 6 months to put a case in chief, or 26 weeks is a good case. I will let frontline let you down gently......at least you continue to be legally blonde, and for that I thank you.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/oj/themes/prosecution.html

any lawyer with any trial experience understood the problem, but Hollywood, judge judy, and the soap opera documentaries now entertain the mob who will sit outside the people's court and add their two cents. Thank you for confirming what we already knew.

The guy trying to make the supreme court took a case ten fold more complicated in OK and put his case in chief in six weeks, and won a conviction.....and the Nichols conviction was brilliant.....six weeks. The bumbling prosecution in OJ would cause jury nullification on any human jury.....piszed would be an understatement, Marica Clark would not even be a felony prosecutor in most SA offices.....she was borderline incompetent.

23O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/21/2016, 11:54 pm

Vikingwoman

I don't care how bumbling they were. The evidence was overwhelming. We're talking about your statement there was not evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. I can't believe you could assess that evidence and say that? It's ludicrous and not becoming of someone w/ any semblance of intelligence.

24O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/22/2016, 12:35 am

2seaoat

Let me ask you this.....if a bumbling prosecution team kept you from your family for over six months before the defense ever began........and you honestly say that you would not be tempted to nullify their case......it was utter arrogance playing to the cameras and not doing their job. My daughter got a conviction on a double murder a decade old after a federal task force went after the gangbangers.......ten year old cold case, and she closed her case in chief in two weeks and sent the animal to jail for life......because she did not play cumulative evidence to a tv audience. Justice requires competent prosecution.......they have all the advantages, but in this case I had NEVER seen the level of incompetence, and would throw stuff at the TV where they made first year law school student ignorant mistakes, going over and over over again on non relevant evidence, and botching the relevant evidence ......over and over for six months. It was utter incompetence. Focus on the good evidence and keep it simple.

25O.J.: Made in America Empty Re: O.J.: Made in America 6/22/2016, 1:53 am

RealLindaL

Vikingwoman wrote:I don't care how bumbling they were. The evidence was overwhelming. We're talking about your statement there was not evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. I can't believe you could assess that evidence and say that? It's ludicrous and not becoming of someone w/ any semblance of intelligence.

Viking is 100% right here.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum