Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Friday the 13th

+5
knothead
RealLindaL
2seaoat
ZVUGKTUBM
Joanimaroni
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Friday the 13th Empty Friday the 13th 5/14/2016, 9:56 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Not a good day for me and not a good week.

Fridsy I slipped, fell and re-injured my remaining right medial hamstring, broke my right wrist and strained my left knee. SHIT!

This week I was also diagnosed with Celiac disease and type 2 Diabetes. Celiac means you are gluten intolerant. It causes malnutrition because you can not absorb nutrients and causes severe pain if you ingest gluten. EXCEPT in  rare cases it can cause excessive weight gain and relative minor gut problems. Guess which one I have? 

The diagnosis was made after my CT scan for the kidney stone I had in February. An incidental finding showed multiple liver densities. Follow up. Labs showed elevated liver studies, off the chart celiac levels and a high A1c indicating diabetes. And it explains why I have been doing pool aerobics, 2 classes a day averaging 16 days a month, no fast food, no sodas, and trying to eat healthy and yet my weight as been creeping up. I add a 20lb weight gain in one month.....ONE MONTH. UNFUCKING believable.

Not happy....but will survive and hopefully lose weight with the gluten-free expensive diet and the diabetic diet. Seaoat and Bob will keep me positive through their optimistic approach to health issues worse than mine.

The liver studies will be repeated in July along with a liver ultrsound.  Those results will dictate what is next.

2Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/14/2016, 10:27 am

Hang in there, Joani - although obviously not by that broken wrist. Gee! Bubble wrap clothes from now on? Wink

It seems expensive to eat healthy but if you weigh a $6 loaf of sprouted grain bread against a $7 fast food meal - well - it comes out much better for you and your wallet. That was just a simple example. I've been changing things over in my life for a few years now. Almost completely vegetarian now.

BUT - it is a freakin' hassle to get hit with so much at once but you will be better for making the changes. Little bit at a time. One thing that helps me is the Yummly web site. You can put in "gluten free" "type 2 diabetes" and you will get a good selection of recipes.

Take care. Don't mean to sound like a know it all but, aside from the orthopedic problems, I've been where you are.

3Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/14/2016, 11:02 am

Best wishes Joani... I'm sorry you're having to suffer this. Hope the spots are benign.

4Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/14/2016, 11:02 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

What I have found is that there is always someone just around the corner from you that has it worse than you do.

I will remember you in my prayers, Joanie.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

5Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/14/2016, 12:21 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Thank you....I really believe the injuries from the fall were  other as severe because of the exercises and strengthening I have been doing.

She.....the gluten free bread from Publix tasted like compressed bird seed. Meat, and low carb veggies and frùit.

6Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/14/2016, 1:08 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:Thank you....I really believe the injuries from the fall were  other as severe because of the exercises and strengthening I have been doing.

She.....the gluten free bread from Publix tasted like compressed bird seed. Meat, and low carb veggies and frùit.

It certainly can. Just have to find what works for you and stick to it. It's a journey.

7Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/14/2016, 5:31 pm

2seaoat

I am sorry to hear about the health issues. You get lemons on some days.....and it is not easy to turn the same into lemonade, but once you do the same a couple times you realize since birth life has been a series of challenges. It seems unfair at times, and having broken both radii in my wrist after a basketball game......it could be a year before you get back to 100%, how are you typing.......peck and one finger? Stay on top of the liver.

8Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/14/2016, 7:23 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Hunt and pecking on my tablet. My splint is a short arm thumb spica. I will get the cast Monday morning. It will be over the elbow to block rotation. Rotation hurts like hell. I can switch over to the phone and dictate....but it gets the words wrong and spelling....PaceDog got a lot of grief using his phone....plus the screen is too small.

Love the Internet and texting. Daughter was able to text the ortho doc from the ER. Told him what happened, what kind of break, and what kind of splint .he texted back ....to come in first thing Monday. Avoiding all that on call referring crap.

9Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/14/2016, 11:17 pm

RealLindaL

Other than to add my voice to those expressing sorrow to hear of all your ills, Joani, I really have nothing much to add.  Rotten darned luck.   Still, it sounds as if your attitude is in the right place, and you have very good sources of advice and care.   I'm hoping by this time next year, if not before, you'll be looking back on all this with well-deserved self-congratulation for having weathered these storms and pulled through in better shape than ever.   All the best to you as you slog through the recovery process and re-adjust certain life processes.  No fun for sure.  Sad

10Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/15/2016, 7:59 am

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:Other than to add my voice to those expressing sorrow to hear of all your ills, Joani, I really have nothing much to add.  Rotten darned luck.   Still, it sounds as if your attitude is in the right place, and you have very good sources of advice and care.   I'm hoping by this time next year, if not before, you'll be looking back on all this with well-deserved self-congratulation for having weathered these storms and pulled through in better shape than ever.   All the best to you as you slog through the recovery process and re-adjust certain life processes.  No fun for sure.  Sad

What a Friday the 13th joani . . . . . a lot for you to process and sounds as though you are mentally strong and determined, all qualities essential to beat back these issues . . . . . you caught it all in one fell swoop except no one burned your barn and killed the cattle. Hang in please . . . .

11Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/16/2016, 9:19 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Friday the 13th Fb_img25

Casted this morning....will start  therapy for hamstring this week.  Trying to adjust to using only my left arm.

12Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/16/2016, 9:35 pm

Vikingwoman

Good grief! Makes my tooth absess sound like a scratch.Hope that is the end of your bad luck. I can't take much more!

13Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/16/2016, 10:08 pm

I bet the grandkids will think your cast is cool. So you've got that going for you... which is good.

How's your husband doing btw?

14Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/16/2016, 10:16 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:I bet the grandkids will think your cast is cool. So you've got that going for you... which is good.

How's your husband doing btw?
He is the cook and chauffeur....and the pants puller upper.

My grandson was first...
[url=https://servimg.com/view/17590589/578]Friday the 13th Fb_img28[/url

15Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/17/2016, 12:25 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I had one of those on my left ankle for about 8 weeks in 2001. My only broken bone. I tripped in the parking lot where I worked. I had to hobble with it for about 3 days before I could get my cast.

I wish you a strong recovery, Joanie.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

16Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/17/2016, 12:47 am

RealLindaL

Grandson's a doll, Joani. Glad you have such fine family to help see you through this tough time. Sounds as if your husband's being a rock. Good for him!!

17Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/17/2016, 7:50 am

I see that neon lime green is a family favorite! Grandson is a doll!

18Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/17/2016, 8:28 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

SheWrites wrote:I see that neon lime green is a family favorite!  Grandson is a doll!
Never a dull moment.

19Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/17/2016, 9:51 am

knothead

knothead

Joanimaroni wrote:Friday the 13th Fb_img25

Casted this morning....will start  therapy for hamstring this week.  Trying to adjust to using only my left arm.

Kinda reminds me of an unfortunate accident of my own . . . . . broke both arms and right elbow fracture on my 36th birthday . . . . . hell I couldn't unzip my pants . . . . it was an unpleasant six weeks.

20Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/17/2016, 10:30 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:

Kinda reminds me of an unfortunate accident of my own . . . . . broke both arms and right elbow fracture on my 36th birthday . . . . . hell I couldn't unzip my pants . . . . it was an unpleasant six weeks.

OMG.....I feel fortunate. I guess it can always be worse.

21Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/17/2016, 10:44 am

knothead

knothead

Joanimaroni wrote:
knothead wrote:

OMG.....I feel fortunate. I guess it can always be worse.

Get well asap!

22Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/17/2016, 5:55 pm

2seaoat

Glad they did not cast above the elbow......that is a bitch when they take it off after six weeks. Having the mobility of the elbow is great.

23Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/18/2016, 12:01 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Friday the 13th Image10
The Hamstring..

24Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/18/2016, 4:33 pm

knothead

knothead

Joanimaroni wrote:Friday the 13th Image10
The Hamstring..

Looks painful to me . . . . could have been worse (hate that saying) but heal up and move forward!

25Friday the 13th Empty Re: Friday the 13th 5/18/2016, 4:54 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Last year I severed the femoral biceps tendon the bruising was massive and I was unable to walk for 2 weeks.....at least I can walk with this one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum