Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has anybody restrung a small engine pull start coil rope pull

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

I had some sub contractors doing some work for me and while I was gone they tried to start my generator which requires a person to turn it on, and choke it....they did not do one of the two and just started yanking on the rope, broke part of the rope and screwed up the recoil where now I can only get a little bit of pull on the generator......guy said he would fix what they broke, but I am doubtful and with this heat I need AC while working. Any suggestions.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/search/sss?sort=rel&query=generator

Coleman Powermate 5000 generator - $400 (Milton)
Powermate 5000 generator. Never used. Took it out of the boxand it's been in my shed ever since. Still have the original quart of oil that came with it. This model has the OHV Subaru engine. This is a $700.00 + generator.

Generator - $325 (Navarre)
Sears Honda powered generator. 3500 watt,30 amp.,6.5 horse power. Quite running Honda motor, Runs great,easy start.

2seaoat

My generator runs perfectly. It used to be a one pull start generator until it was damaged. Now, I can still pull it to a start, but I am not getting a full pull, and as it ages and is not tuned as perfect as it is now, the half pull will not start the generator. I think I will simply put it in the car and when I return to Illinois have my wife help me get it up high enough so I can work on it while sitting down in a chair. Right now it would require me to bend over or kneel.....which is next to impossible. I will search utube and get a fix video and give it a try. At this time I do not need a new one, but if I did I would go to the Milton tractor supply because I have had very good luck with their products.

Hallmarkgard

You can buy the entire spring/housing/rope pretty cheap. Then you can fix the one you hav with just a the rope after watching the you tube.

2seaoat

I trust your judgment and will give it a try.....should I go to NAPA store, or contact the manufacturer to get the part? Like I said to PK it is running really good right now, but a half pull will not start it in the future and I should address it prior to failure.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I was going to say..check with Hallmark.

Hallmarkgard

What type of engine? Most pull/start housings are secured by 3 screws, sometimes rivets. if rivets just drill them out and turn the new housing just a little and secure them with good sheet-metal screws, No big deal on a Briggs but others might be a little harder. Amazon might be your friend.

2seaoat

I think it is a briggs, and will check it out in the morning. I probably will not mess with it until the middle of May and hope it keeps running without issues.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Just take it to a small engine repair shop. Save yourself the hassle.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

Just take it to a small engine repair shop. Save yourself the hassle.

I can do that when I give up......I am living from project to project.....very focused and trying not to waste away in an exhausted mass in a lazy boy......would I fool with this at another time in my life....probably not, but getting out of my chair is important.

Hallmarkgard

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151836217544?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Products/BRIGGS-STRATTON/Starter-Part/Starter-Recoil-Assemblies

Sal

Sal

That's an easy fix.

All I would need is a butter knife and a plug of tobacco.

2seaoat

Damn, the internet is great. I started the generator, and then it would die about one minute later. Over and over again the same routine. Asked google and it told me most generators have an automatic stop if oil gets low. I had checked the oil and it looked fine, but evidently it was low because I put some more oil in it and I am back in business. I cannot wait to play with the recoil when I can get help to lift it to my work bench in Illinois. Thanks for the suggestions.....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum