Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Changing cable and Internet providers

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Vikingwoman

Be careful if you change cable and internet providers. When my ATT bill went up to an ungodly amount I decided to change. They offered me a package deal w/ DirectTV which I got and then they send you the terms of agreement. I cancelled the next day as Direct terms of agreement say they can change the pricing and programming at any time. There is a $480 cancellation fee and $10 fee for downgrading any programming. Also if you lose your programming card they can charge you $300! Direct just had to pay 14 million for a settlement in deceptive fees and pricing and now has to give the terms upfront. 41000 complaints were received and ATT is promoting these jokers. I went w/ another provider and got a better deal w/ no contract. Read the terms of agreement or you'll be sorry!

RealLindaL

Excellent advice, Viking, and thanks for sharing.  Hope you didn't get stuck with any of those fees since you canceled so fast.   We don't have satellite TV (still on cable, reasonably happy, and have separate DSL Internet service;  more expensive that way but we're very wary of packages/bundling).
When we did look into satellite TV a few years back, Dish seemed the far better company to deal with.  
Shame on AT&T for getting in bed with DirectTV.  And what does this mean, I've wondered, about AT&T's U-verse service?  Was it a big flop?  We sure never had any interest in it.
Anyway, VW, mind telling us who you ended up with?  No biggie, just curious.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

AT&T owns Direct TV. I have had Direct TV for about 4-5 years....only problem I have had was with AT&T. 

My complaint was I wanted to receive a monthly bill that was the same every month. My bills ranged from $68.00 to $200.00. Every time I complained...the response was "I will take care of it, no problem". Well, they were cramming. I kept receiving stuff.....electronic shit. Multiple calls lasting from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 with " a supervisor"...finally I filed a complaint with FCC and consumer services. That worked....a real company executive called.

Vikingwoman

Linda, living in SRC I didnt have any other choice except Mediacom who I don't like but I felt like I could live w/ them for another year or so at the price I got. ATT U-verse was alright but every month I had to call them because my bill was wrong. They would sneak it up or if I ordered a U-verse movie which I seldom did unless it was half price, they would charge me the whole $6 and then *&$# add a dollar extra for the broadcast fee! So the movie would wind up being $7. This month I refused to call them and just paid the money I owed them minus $5 they overcharged me. They then charged a late fee of $9 for the $5 and I had to call them. My bill went from $128 to $175 for cable and TV-no phone as I have another provider. So I just started shopping around and decided I would go w/ Mediacom until they start that and then I will go back to ATT or somebody else. Right now I will be getting 200 channels, DVR, Showtime, Cinemax, HBO and the movie channels (for 6 months) wifi,HD,4 connections, internet and phone for $100 for I year and then it goes up $20. I didn't have to pay but $30 or $40 for installation and turn on. I told them I wasn't paying $99 for installation. They gave me $125 off installation for having good credit.

Joani, you know under the Direct TV agreement if your equipment goes out you have to pay for it? I wasn't having any of that. I didn't know ATT owns Direct. Directs customer service had a lot of complaints so I'm surprised that ATT owns it.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I have the warranty on the equipment. A year ago I had problems....every wire and piece of equipment was replaced at no charge.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum