Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Something we can all get behind?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Something we can all get behind? Empty Something we can all get behind? 7/15/2015, 10:22 am

nadalfan

http://time.com/3958093/barack-obama-criminal-justice-reforms-naacp/

Sorry to distract from the OP, but, in the article the emblem is shown for the NAACP and I wonder why we continue to allow "colored people" be the expression for what this organization stands.

Isn't "colored people" outdated and possibly racist? Offensive?

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Is it okay then to refer to Americans of partial African ancestry as "coloreds."

(for the record ... if anybody wants to call me "injun", "half-breed", etc ... I'm not one bit offended. I've never been referred to as "colored" though, not even in Mississippi. But I pass for full-white most of the time Laughing )

nadalfan

SheWrites wrote:Sorry to distract from the OP, but, in the article the emblem is shown for the NAACP and I wonder why we continue to allow "colored people" be the expression for what this organization stands.  

Isn't "colored people" outdated and possibly racist?  Offensive?

Here is what NAACP president Rev. William Barber said in 2008:

"To be quite honest, there has been some internal wrestling with the name, but one reason it hasn’t been changed is out of respect for history and the founders. In 1909, when the organization began, “colored” was one of the more respected identifications used by the larger society when compared with all the other grotesque names used to refer to African-Americans.
Another reason however, is that the NAACP was founded as a multi-ethnic organization by whites, blacks, Jews, Christians, male, female, etc. In fact, the majority of the founders were white. The first chair was a white woman. So, in a sense, it was a “colored” organization dedicated to the eradication of racism and legalized racial discrimination and disparity. Even today, our mission is broad and covers all minorities: The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4142989/

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

nadalfan wrote:
SheWrites wrote:Sorry to distract from the OP, but, in the article the emblem is shown for the NAACP and I wonder why we continue to allow "colored people" be the expression for what this organization stands.  

Isn't "colored people" outdated and possibly racist?  Offensive?

Here is what NAACP president Rev. William Barber said in 2008:

"To be quite honest, there has been some internal wrestling with the name, but one reason it hasn’t been changed is out of respect for history and the founders. In 1909, when the organization began, “colored” was one of the more respected identifications used by the larger society when compared with all the other grotesque names used to refer to African-Americans.
Another reason however, is that the NAACP was founded as a multi-ethnic organization by whites, blacks, Jews, Christians, male, female, etc. In fact, the majority of the founders were white. The first chair was a white woman. So, in a sense, it was a “colored” organization dedicated to the eradication of racism and legalized racial discrimination and disparity. Even today, our mission is broad and covers all minorities: The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4142989/

Doesn't answer the question.  

So ... if I refer to "blacks/African-Americans/negros/ or whatever word we're supposed to use as "coloreds" ... am I racist?

Also, can I say "nigger" if I'm only half caucasian? Or what about just "nig" considering my half status as a whitey?

This liberal logic is sooooo confusing!

boards of FL

boards of FL

EmeraldGhost wrote:Is it okay then to refer to Americans of partial African ancestry as "coloreds."

(for the record ... if anybody wants to call me "injun", "half-breed", etc ... I'm not one bit offended.   I've never been referred to as "colored" though, not even in Mississippi.  But I pass for full-white most of the time  Laughing   )

Are you suggesting that you're native american here? Out of curiosity, what percent?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Colored is sort of an antiquated term however recently the phrase "persons of color" or people of color is just fine and can include any non-white group, not just people of African decent.
I would recommend a very enlightening program on MSNBC on Saturday and Sunday mornings at 9:00, the Melissa Harris-Perry Show. She is a woman of color, her father is black, mother white. Most of the program covers news from a black perspective, which is quite interesting and informative.

For example recently she had a black historian as a panel member in the discussion of the Confederate Flag issue. This woman pointed out that saying that the flag represents Southern Heritage, that that heritage also includes Southern Blacks and they do not like the flag. I think too often it is too easy (as a white person) to not hear the "understood" word "white" in that statement of (white) Southern Heritage.  

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Sorry for sidetracking the topic so badly. Yes, I for sure think the criminal justice system needs to be reformed. Can we all just get behind this?
I can't help wonder if incarcerating so many people of color thereby rendering them in most states unable to vote, if there isn't a secondary motive to locking up more of them than of whites proportionally. It is another way of thinning out the likely Democratic voters.

2seaoat

One of the first words I learned to read was colored.  As a child you were looking at four bathrooms and you only belonged in one.  Tough concept to understand as a kid........Mom....why does everybody go to the bathroom in one bathroom at Gang Gang's house but there are four bathrooms at the zoo?  For a child, the black man who worked for my grandfather used his bathroom, men used the bathroom, and women used the bathroom......what does colored mean Mom......yea....the name is an essential part of the message.

As a child getting yelled at because I could get to a short non refrigerated drinking fountain sticking out of the wall next to a modern water fountain because there was that word colored on the wall of the Kresge store in North Birmingham.....yea.....the name should never be changed.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

boards of FL wrote:

Are you suggesting that you're native american here?  Out of curiosity, what percent?

I'm not "suggesting" anything and it's not anything I've ever made some kind of secret on here ... I do believe I've mentioned my Southern heritage a time or two in other threads.

50% Choctaw if you must know .... Mississippi Band.  Tribal & CDIB certified even.  But I'm not all political about it, don't participate or vote in tribal stuff & don't receive any form of government benefits on that account.
I think it's long past time the tribes were disbanded as official entities anyway.

I guess anyone who considers themselves "Progresive" though wouldn't be interested in hearing about my German ancestors who emigrated from the Palatinate in 1707 to Baltimore, then New York, then North Carolina, then Tennessee, & finally Mississippi?   Because white lives, history, & heritage don't matter to most "Progressives" .... especially if they are Southern. In any case, so far as I'm concerned I'm "native American" on both sides of my ancestry.

But .... since we're all laying out our ethnic heritage on here .... how 'bout you?  (not that it matters much to me, but you asked first)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum