Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The 1% and the rest of us, contrasts, comparisons, etc.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Here are the first three items in the 35 item list of facts about income/wealth inequality. While not all will agree that this is a bad thing (don't want to punish success after all) and the solutions or adjustments to change this, if in fact you think it needs changing will differ,  it is nevertheless interesting to see. For those of you (Markle) who cringe at the sight of the source, Alternet, please click on the links in each statement to see the original source. This is not "made up" stuff.

1. In 81 percent of American counties, the median income, about $52,000, is less than it was 15 years ago. This is despite the fact that the economy has grown 83 percent in the past quarter-century and corporate profits have doubled. American workers produce twice the amount of goods and services as 25 years ago, but get less of the pie.

2. The amount of money that was given out in bonuses on Wall Street last year is twice the amount all minimum-wage workers earned in the country combined.

3. The wealthiest 85 people on the planet have more money that the poorest 3.5 billion people combined.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/35-mind-blowing-facts-about-inequality?akid=13299.310455.qYkvXV&rd=1&src=newsletter1039283&t=3

knothead

knothead

Wow OS . . . . . . the statistics tells the tale and I have lived through it all and could see it happening year in and year out. Perhaps someone can light a fire in the American people to make the necessary changes to our tax laws and meaningful oversight of the too big to fail financial institutions are two that come to mind. Great post thanks!

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

knothead wrote:Wow OS . . . . . . the statistics tells the tale and I have lived through it all and could see it happening year in and year out. Perhaps someone can light a fire in the American people to make the necessary changes to our tax laws and  meaningful oversight of the too big to fail financial institutions are two that come to mind.  Great post thanks!

Bernie Sanders is bringing this situation to the forefront and into the public discussion. There are even Republican candidates talking about the wealth gap and shrinking middle class, but I haven't heard what they would like to do about it.

This is a major problem for the nation and desperately needs fixing. It is becoming more and more difficult to ignore it but then in our ironic 24/7 "news" cycle we are bombarded day to day with the latest shiny object: Trump's blathering, Iran's treaty, flooding in the midwest, fires in the west, oil prices, etc. We need to concentrate on this until it is corrected.

Yes, the numbers are staggering to say the least.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

othershoe1030 wrote:
knothead wrote:Wow OS . . . . . . the statistics tells the tale and I have lived through it all and could see it happening year in and year out. Perhaps someone can light a fire in the American people to make the necessary changes to our tax laws and  meaningful oversight of the too big to fail financial institutions are two that come to mind.  Great post thanks!

Bernie Sanders is bringing this situation to the forefront and into the public discussion. There are even Republican candidates talking about the wealth gap and shrinking middle class, but I haven't heard what they would like to do about it.

This is a major problem for the nation and desperately needs fixing. It is becoming more and more difficult to ignore it but then in our ironic 24/7 "news" cycle we are bombarded day to day with the latest shiny object: Trump's blathering, Iran's treaty, flooding in the midwest, fires in the west, oil prices, etc. We need to concentrate on this until it is corrected.

Jeb! has promised to grow the economy by 4% per annum..."grow" being the operative word. He hasn't stated how that could be accomplished or what specific policies he would implement, but I think we're on safe ground expecting the same ol' same ol' GOP policies since the Reagan era...because that's what GOP governors are doing in the states they represent...Walker, Scott, Perry (and now Abbott), Brownback, etc. I saw a photo of Walker holding a sign that is exactly replicated by Rick Scott..."(insert name of state) IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS." The GOP leadership isn't going to bite the hand that feeds them.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Floridatexan wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Jeb! has promised to grow the economy by 4% per annum..."grow" being the operative word.  He hasn't stated how that could be accomplished or what specific policies he would implement, but I think we're on safe ground expecting the same ol' same ol' GOP policies since the Reagan era...because that's what GOP governors are doing in the states they represent...Walker, Scott, Perry (and now Abbott), Brownback, etc.  I saw a photo of Walker holding a sign that is exactly replicated by Rick Scott..."(insert name of state) IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS."  The GOP leadership isn't going to bite the hand that feeds them.  

The economy under Jeb! or anyone else could grow at any rate at all and it wouldn't fix the wealth gap because the lions share of the profits would still go to and stay with the 1%. The tax structure has to be changed.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

othershoe1030 wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Jeb! has promised to grow the economy by 4% per annum..."grow" being the operative word.  He hasn't stated how that could be accomplished or what specific policies he would implement, but I think we're on safe ground expecting the same ol' same ol' GOP policies since the Reagan era...because that's what GOP governors are doing in the states they represent...Walker, Scott, Perry (and now Abbott), Brownback, etc.  I saw a photo of Walker holding a sign that is exactly replicated by Rick Scott..."(insert name of state) IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS."  The GOP leadership isn't going to bite the hand that feeds them.  

The economy under Jeb! or anyone else could grow at any rate at all and it wouldn't fix the wealth gap because the lions share of the profits would still go to and stay with the 1%. The tax structure has to be changed.

You've just got to love it: Jeb!...or is it "Jeb?"....or Jeb:-(...how about Jeb...hell no...or Jeb Evil or Very Mad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum