Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NBC to Donald Trump: You're fired

+2
2seaoat
boards of FL
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nbc-severing-business-relationship-donald-trump-182623011--finance.html

NEW YORK (AP) — NBC said Monday that it is ending its business relationship with mogul and GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump because of comments he made about Mexican immigrants during the announcement of his campaign.

The network said it would no longer air the annual Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants, which had been a joint venture between the company and Trump. Miss USA has aired on NBC since 2003, and this year's edition was set for July 12.

"At NBC, respect and dignity for all people are cornerstones of our values," NBC said in a statement.

Trump's reply: a "weak" NBC should prepare to meet him in court.

NBC's action comes less than a week after Univision similarly decided to ditch Trump and the pageants. Trump has also been a fixture on NBC as host of "The Apprentice" and its celebrity offshoot, and an agreement that he would no longer be on the show predated the current controversy. The network said Monday that it and producer Mark Burnett are exploring ways to continue "Celebrity Apprentice" sans Trump.

Trump said he anticipated losing the business relationship and that he's not apologizing for his statements because they "were correct."

"Whatever they want to do is OK with me," Trump told reporters in Chicago after a campaign speech to civic leaders.

But in a statement issued by his company in New York, Trump said "NBC is weak, and like everybody else is trying to be politically correct. That is why our country is in serious trouble."

He said he'd consider suing, as he plans to do with Univision. He also took a shot at NBC's decision to demote, but not fire, news anchor Brian Williams for telling false stories about some of the reporting he was involved in.

"They will stand behind lying Brian Williams, but won't stand behind people that tell it like it is, as unpleasant as that may be," he said.

During his presidential kickoff speech, Trump said Mexican immigrants are "bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists and some, I assume, are good people." He called for building a wall along the southern border of the United States. Trump later said that his remarks were directed at U.S. policymakers, not the Mexican government or its people.

Dozens of protesters — from immigrant and Latino rights groups — waited outside of a downtown Chicago restaurant where Trump spoke. Their chats included "No more hate!"

Maritza Vaca, with the Chicago-based Accion Hispano, said immigrants have rights and was upset by Trump's comments.

"It is racism," she said. "For him to be running for president is ridiculous."

NBC said it is still determining what it will air in place of the pageant next month.

2seaoat

Now the only question is the man going to release his full financials which will show that but for the cash flow from his TV contracts.....the man is broke.

Vikingwoman

Hooray for NBC!

I do not give a flip about Donald Trump.

However, do y'all not see the double standard? A liar with a lack of integrity maintains his position on NBC News. Donald Trump shares his OPINION as he campaigns for the White House (I laugh at the thought of him as President) and he is fired. Wrong opinion, Donald...you will be eliminated.

Trend is set...wrong opinion...eliminated.

No

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Apples to oranges...you're comparing a news anchor to a candidate for POTUS. If you want to make a Brian Williams comparison, try Bill O'Reilly.

Trump has already let his mouth override his...making a completely xenophobic statement that alienated enough people to get him fired...incredibly stupid on his part.

Floridatexan wrote:
Apples to oranges...you're comparing a news anchor to a candidate for POTUS.  If you want to make a Brian Williams comparison, try Bill O'Reilly.  

Trump has already let his mouth override his...making a completely xenophobic statement that alienated enough people to get him fired...incredibly stupid on his part.

Nope, check your fruit basket, FT.

Both Williams and Trump receive money from NBC.

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:However, do y'all not see the double standard?  A liar with a lack of integrity maintains his position on NBC News.  Donald Trump shares his OPINION as he campaigns for the White House (I laugh at the thought of him as President) and he is fired.  Wrong opinion, Donald...you will be eliminated.

Brian Williams isn't maintaining his position on NBC News.  He lost his anchor position.   But beyond that, broadly referring to Mexicans as rapists and drug dealers is considerably different than exaggerating your journalistic exploits, particularly from a PR standpoint.  

I don't consider it to be that outrageous or hypocritical to suspend and then demote a guy who exaggerates his journalistic exploits while also firing a guy who broadly refers to Mexicans as rapists and drug dealers.

nadalfan

12 DAYS AND NO REPUBLICAN CONTENDER FOR PRESIDENT HAS DENOUNCED TRUMP’S RACIST REMARKS

http://americasvoice.org/blog/12-days-and-no-republican-contender-for-president-has-denounced-trumps-racist-remarks/

Cruz has now responded...

"I like Donald Trump. I think he's terrific, I think he's brash, I think he speaks the truth," Cruz said Tuesday morning on Fox News. "And I think NBC is engaging in political correctness that is silly and that is wrong."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/30/politics/ted-cruz-defends-donald-trump-mexicans-nbc/

boards of FL wrote:
SheWrites wrote:However, do y'all not see the double standard?  A liar with a lack of integrity maintains his position on NBC News.  Donald Trump shares his OPINION as he campaigns for the White House (I laugh at the thought of him as President) and he is fired.  Wrong opinion, Donald...you will be eliminated.

Brian Williams isn't maintaining his position on NBC News.  He lost his anchor position.   But beyond that, broadly referring to Mexicans as rapists and drug dealers is considerably different than exaggerating your journalistic exploits, particularly from a PR standpoint.  

I don't consider it to be that outrageous or hypocritical to suspend and then demote a guy who exaggerates his journalistic exploits while also firing a guy who broadly refers to Mexicans as rapists and drug dealers.

He remains employed by NBC.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/brian-williams-to-remain-at-nbc-but-in-diminished-role-at-msnbc-1434654020

2seaoat

Trend is set...wrong opinion...eliminated.

It was a business decision. It had nothing to do with the wrong opinion. It had to do with NBC's bottom line when an agent of the corporation takes business away from the corporation.....Brian Williams does nothing to NBC's bottom line, their board of directors are now getting an employee for a lesser price and enhancing the bottom line......geez, you would think we would be having conversation that were grounded in reality and common sense.....are you borrowing PK's Ivory tower. The largest demographics which is expanding is young hispanic consumers.....and your going to have an idiot hurt your brand......maybe in your ivory tower you think that is what this is about....its about money.

Pk, I would start charging for that Ivory tower.....or maybe Donald could convert to condo and everybody could get some.......

2seaoat wrote:Trend is set...wrong opinion...eliminated.

It was a business decision.  It had nothing to do with the wrong opinion.  It had to do with NBC's bottom line when an agent of the corporation takes business away from the corporation.....Brian Williams does nothing to NBC's bottom line, their board of directors are now getting an employee for a lesser price and enhancing the bottom line......geez, you would think we would be having conversation that were grounded in reality and common sense.....are you borrowing PK's Ivory tower.  The largest demographics which is expanding is young hispanic consumers.....and your going to have an idiot hurt your brand......maybe in your ivory tower you think that is what this is about....its about money.

Pk, I would start charging for that Ivory tower.....or maybe Donald could convert to condo and everybody could get some.......

OK, I think I figured out you are talking to me. Whatever on bottom's lines...it's about popular thought. No one cares if Williams is a liar. Trump shares an opinion and you start calling the race card. That's the popular thought...race. Lying and no integrity is OK to the progressives and money making NBC.

As for an Ivory Tower is that better than sitting on a fence? Please explain to us according the Book of Oat. Hard to keep up with your expertise.

Sal

Sal

Trump dump ....

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/01/politics/donald-trump-macys/

The thing about free speech is that no one can stop you from publicly puking asininity, but you have to be ready to face the consequences.

Vikingwoman

SheWrites wrote:

It was a business decision.  It had nothing to do with the wrong opinion.  It had to do with NBC's bottom line when an agent of the corporation takes business away from the corporation.....Brian Williams does nothing to NBC's bottom line, their board of directors are now getting an employee for a lesser price and enhancing the bottom line......geez, you would think we would be having conversation that were grounded in reality and common sense.....are you borrowing PK's Ivory tower.  The largest demographics which is expanding is young hispanic consumers.....and your going to have an idiot hurt your brand......maybe in your ivory tower you think that is what this is about....its about money.

OK, I think I figured out you are talking to me.  Whatever on bottom's lines...it's about popular thought.  No one cares if Williams is a liar.  Trump shares an opinion and you start calling the race card. That's the popular thought...race.   Lying and no integrity is OK to the progressives and money making NBC.

As for an Ivory Tower is that better than sitting on a fence?  Please explain to us according the Book of Oat.   Hard to keep up with your expertise.  

Trump is a presidential candidate and lying and no integrity is not ok. Trump is in a different position than Williams and therefore is held to a different standard. I don't want to be lumped in the progressive mode w/ Oatie. He has gone off the deep end and his opinions do not reflect all progressives.

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/brian-williams-to-remain-at-nbc-but-in-diminished-role-at-msnbc-1434654020

He remains employed by NBC but he does not "maintain his position at NBC", which is the example you used to try and show that NBC is being hypocritical.

Vikingwoman wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

OK, I think I figured out you are talking to me.  Whatever on bottom's lines...it's about popular thought.  No one cares if Williams is a liar.  Trump shares an opinion and you start calling the race card. That's the popular thought...race.   Lying and no integrity is OK to the progressives and money making NBC.

As for an Ivory Tower is that better than sitting on a fence?  Please explain to us according the Book of Oat.   Hard to keep up with your expertise.  

Trump is a presidential candidate and lying and no integrity is not ok. Trump is in a different position than Williams and therefore is held to a different standard. I don't want to be lumped in the progressive mode w/ Oatie. He has gone off the deep end and his opinions do not reflect all progressives.

Yet the progressives support hillary... talk about no integrity... lol.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2015/apr/10/hillary-clinton-and-truth-o-meter/

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:
Vikingwoman wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

That's because of policy.

boards of FL wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

He remains employed by NBC but he does not "maintain his position at NBC", which is the example you used to try and show that NBC is being hypocritical.

He is not the anchor of the evening news. He has a new position. HE IS BEING PAID BY NBC.

Donald Trump was fired.

One man lies and has no integrity and maintains employment with NBC.

NBC's basis is popular thought. According to them it is OK to lie. According to them it is not OK to share your personal opinion.

Comparison of employee to employee and one gets fired.

How difficult is this to understand?

If you go by VW's post...then it's all situational ethics to her. Where's a foundation????

Sal

Sal

SheWrites wrote:

He is not the anchor of the evening news. He has a new position.  HE IS BEING PAID BY NBC.

Donald Trump was fired.

NBC's basis is popular thought.  According to them it is OK to lie.  According to them it is not OK to share your personal opinion.

If you go by VW's post...then it's all situational ethics to her.  Where's a foundation????

The foundation is the bottom line.

When you viciously attack a large and growing demographic, it's bad business.

It was a business decision.

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Vikingwoman wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

And the lack of ethics... both hers and yours.

Sal wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

He is not the anchor of the evening news. He has a new position.  HE IS BEING PAID BY NBC.

Donald Trump was fired.

NBC's basis is popular thought.  According to them it is OK to lie.  According to them it is not OK to share your personal opinion.

If you go by VW's post...then it's all situational ethics to her.  Where's a foundation????

The foundation is the bottom line.

When you viciously attack a large and growing demographic, it's bad business.

It was a business decision.

You continue to bring the mindset of progressives clearly into focus. Yay for you, Sal.

Lying is OK but speaking an opinion is not if you are an employee of NBC. That's the truth statement from all that is being deemed a business decision.

And that, folks, is the progressive mindset.

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Donald Trump was fired.

Yes, one guy exaggerated the level of danger involved in his work history. He was demoted. Seems reasonable.

Another guy referred to Mexicans as rapists and drug dealers. He was fired. Again, seems reasonable.

Broadly suggesting that Mexicans are rapists and drug dealers is a worse offense than exaggerating the level of danger involved in one's work history, so it should follow that punishment for the former should be stronger than that for the latter.

And this is precisely what we are seeing. Williams is now an occasional field reporter for MSNBC while NBC, Univision, Macy's, and the Miss USA Pageant are bailing on Trump.

So....what is the issue here again?

No one is saying that it is OK to lie. Williams lied and then lost his position as anchor of the prime-time nightly news. You understand that, correct? When someone punishes an act, that is the opposite of saying that it is "OK". You get that, right?

Sal

Sal

SheWrites wrote:

You continue to bring the mindset of progressives clearly into focus.  Yay for you, Sal.

Lying is OK but speaking an opinion is not if you are an employee of NBC.  That's the truth statement from all that is being deemed a business decision.

And that, folks, is the progressive mindset.  

That is the stupidest post I've read all day, and that's saying something.

There's nothing "progressive" about this decision.

It wasn't political at all.

NBC decided that Brian Williams was still an asset and Donald Trump had definitely become a liability.

Period.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

There's a concept in business, an actual balance sheet item, known as "goodwill". Surely you're familiar with that concept, and with the effect it may have on net income/worth, positive or negative.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Vikingwoman wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

And the lack of ethics... both hers and yours.

Not at all.  I will vote for Hillary because she is electable and her policy mix is closer to mine than any of the GOP candidates.  Further, republican candidates will offer us things like 1) war with Iran, 2) regressive tax cuts, 3) continued fight against rights for the LGBT community, 4) continued fight to revoke healthcare from millions of Americans.

It is actually due to my sense of ethics that I will vote for Hillary.  One would have to be completely lacking any sense of ethics if they were to vote for a candidate that peddles war, continued gross redistribution of wealth, homophobia, and sticking it to the poor.

Sal

Sal

boards of FL wrote:

Not at all.  I will vote for Hillary because she is electable and her policy mix is closer to mine than any of the GOP candidates.  Further, republican candidates will offer us things like 1) war with Iran, 2) regressive tax cuts, 3) continued fight against rights for the LGBT community, 4) continued fight to revoke healthcare from millions of Americans.

It is actually due to my sense of ethics that I will vote for Hillary.  One would have to be completely lacking any sense of ethics if they were to vote for a candidate that peddles war, continued gross redistribution of wealth, homophobia, and sticking it to the poor.

Precisely.

How is that even hard to understand?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum