Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLL: What about those two murderers who escaped from the maximum security prison.

+2
othershoe1030
Hospital Bob
6 posters

My take on this is...

POLL:  What about those two murderers who escaped from the maximum security prison. I_vote_lcap17%POLL:  What about those two murderers who escaped from the maximum security prison. I_vote_rcap 17% [ 1 ]
POLL:  What about those two murderers who escaped from the maximum security prison. I_vote_lcap83%POLL:  What about those two murderers who escaped from the maximum security prison. I_vote_rcap 83% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 6

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

The escape is directly due to sloppy prison administration.

First of all there are issues with the power tools the inmates used. I haven't been following the story at all but I hear that there were contractors working at the prison. There was no adequate supervision of them or their tools. The first time something went missing there needed to be a lockdown until the tool(s) was found. Prisoners like these are masterful at taking advantage of the slightest opportunity.

Working with power tools to cut through metal? They needed extension cords, freedom to get to their worksite. What were these guys doing, wandering around at will? Were they 'trustees'?

And of course there's the issue of the last "count". The rule is to count "living breathing flesh" not a lump in the bed, not a wig seen on a pillow etc. The prison staff blew it big time. The place sounds more like a work farm than a maximum security prison. I'm sure they are, or should be embarrassed. I can tell you also that every other inmate in the facility is gloating and giving the guards grief. This will go on until the escapees are caught and then the tables will be turned. Until then the community has a couple of free range killers roaming about.

I voted.

My first impression of this story was the mug shot. Both are exactly the same height.

Second impression ... major fail on the part of the prison. Don't overshadow that with their "unique" escape and somehow deflect the fact the prison system failed.

No third impression other than my vote on this poll. Lowlife scum...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Here's something to think about if you're opposed to the death penalty.

What if they don't get caught and they commit more murders? Is it worth saving the lives of these murderers even if it means other innocents have to lose their lives?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Bob wrote:Here's something to think about if you're opposed to the death penalty.

What if they don't get caught and they commit more murders?  Is it worth saving the lives of these murderers even if it means other innocents have to lose their lives?

Very few prisoners held in maximum security facilities escape so this is out of the ordinary. I still think the death penalty is a bad idea because of all the mistakes that can be made during the trial process.

You'd have to compare the number of innocent people executed, which I think is in the 100's if not more, with how many murders have been committed by escaped convicts. But still, if it was your family member who was wrongly executed or your family member who was murdered by an escapee no statistical data would compensate for that.

Taking the long view I think society would be better off with life sentences without parole with inmates kept in well run institutions. This covers everyone, punishes the murders and allows for corrections where later DNA proves a wrong conviction.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Okay how bout this for a compromise.
When a DNA match CONFIRMS guilt, we execute them then?
But we never execute anyone when there is no DNA confirmation?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Bob wrote:Okay how bout this for a compromise.  
When a DNA match CONFIRMS guilt,  we execute them then?
But we never execute anyone when there is no DNA confirmation?

Are you just bent on executions? Is it revenge or saving money that makes executions attractive to you? I ask about the money because I'm sure it is more expensive to execute due to ongoing prolonged legal costs for appeals.

Then there's the situation like the Boston Bomber trial where several victim's families pleaded with the jurors to give the bomber a life sentence without parole just so they wouldn't have to go through more trials created by appeals. Just put him away and throw away the key and leave the families alone. That's what some of them wanted and I can see their point.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

othershoe1030 wrote:Are you just bent on executions? Is it revenge or saving money that makes executions attractive to you?

I answered your question in post #4.

But this will provide some clarification...

http://www.wesleylowe.com/repoff.html

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Bob wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:Are you just bent on executions? Is it revenge or saving money that makes executions attractive to you?

I answered your question in post #4.

But this will provide some clarification...

http://www.wesleylowe.com/repoff.html

Your list is impressive to say the least. My proposal would not allow for anything other than life without parole so that would reduce your list to those who served a fixed sentence and escapees.

Here's another list of people who were on death row but found to be innocent. Only 20 of those were due to DNA according to this data so perhaps DNA doesn't play as much of a role in this sort of thing as we thought?

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-list-those-freed-death-row

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

You just cited the one reason I could never be happy with capital punishment.

You wanna know why that is?
Well it's because the philosophy/religion/worldview I've created for myself has the same supreme ethical standard at it's core as does just about every religious text humans have ever conceived, including the Bible and Koran.

Although, unfortunately, none of these religions/philosophies have ever put it into widespread practice,  including my own.
But on those occasions when I am thoughtful enough to put it into practice for myself,  such as this issue,  I have to go by it.  Because to do otherwise would render it useless.  And then I would be no better than those two escapees.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I should add though,  that I also hope those two murderers will be killed by the cops when they resist arrest.  
That's because of the other supreme ethical law I subscribe to.  Also found in the Bible.

Markle

Markle

Inside help, most likely a woman.

As for the death penalty, two years for appeals after the death sentence is pronounced then a firing squad.

2seaoat

Inside help, most likely a woman.

As for the death penalty, two years for appeals after the death sentence is pronounced then a firing squad.

Is the two year period scientific, or rationally based or is it a random number you picked out of thin air........most likely a man helped you with this.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Inside help, most likely a woman.

Is the two year period scientific, or rationally based or is it a random number you picked out of thin air........most likely a man helped you with this.

Two year period based on common sense. They have all the facts, there was a fair trial, conviction and sentencing.

Most likely a woman because that is what was revealed in the news.

dumpcare

I bet it was man with bright ruby red lips.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

My thoughts.....

Guards,  prison employees, and civilian workers should have to go through security check- points before entering and exiting the grounds. 

Death penalty.....I have always believed in the death penalty.  As an example,  I think about Leonard Gonzalez, he killed the Billingses...  No way should he live the rest of his sociopathic life as a big shot inmate. In general population he would kill again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum