Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I take back what I've said about Rush Limbaugh. You just have to admire his genius.

+4
VectorMan
ZVUGKTUBM
KarlRove
Hospital Bob
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Every time his bloviation has less relevance and nobody is talking about him, he never fails to rejuvenate himself. And even more impressive, it always works. lol

So how did he do it this time? He got behind his "excellence in broadcasting" microphone, and said this...

1. 71 is too old to ride a bicycle

2. Exercise is only for young people

4. And when John Kerry goes on a bike ride at age 71, it can only be because he's "grandstanding".

Now all that by itself is not the whole shtick. You have to take it in context.

Firstly, Rush Limbaugh of course is not a poster boy for physical health. He's a fat slob.

Secondly, I remember when he had the Bush trio (W, HW and Jeb) on his radio show one day. They were in a restaurant in D.C. and on his show by remote. Let's put it this way. Rush came off as a bigger fanboy of the Bushes than the 50,000 screaming girls were at Shea Stadium for the first Beatles concert. He was literally gushing, especially when talking to Poppy Bush. Even Ronald Reagan woulda been jealous.
SO the question becomes, would Rush ever tell us Poppy Bush was too old to jump out of airplanes, let alone ride a sissy bicycle?
I think not. lol

But see this is not a slam on Rush. That thread title is totally sincere, no sarcasm.
Why? Because Rush himself knows about all that stuff I wrote in my last paragraph. Rush knew when he made these latest comments what the context is. He knows he'll be called on that.

But does he give a shit? Why should he? He also knows that old show biz axiom "there's no such thing as bad publicity". All the controversy just brings him more audience which makes him more money. But he's got all the money he'll ever need. The other motivation is he knows it will get the media to talking about him again. The thing he craves the most.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Hater

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

KarlRove wrote:Hater

It is so funny when a Hater calls someone else a hater..... Twisted Evil

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Karl, my real feelings about this should make you dislike my actual ideas even more than if I was a hater.
Because I honestly don't hate Rush. I admire him. I wasn't lying or using sarcasm.

You must understand that I'm so sick of this liberal vs conservative crapola that I honestly don't care about any of that anymore. Mainly because I've grown to have less and less regard for the masses who let it continue. The sheep herd.

But I am getting more and more infatuated with the men and women who make it big behind the microphone. It fascinates the hell out of me how they do it.
And Limbaugh has such a phenomenal record at being able to do it that it's just totally unprecedented.
For at least the last ten years, and probably fifteen or more, he has dominated an entire American broadcast medium.
That's anything on radio. AM, FM, commercial radio, public radio, all of it.
He's attracted the largest audience in radio year after year after year.
That has never been done before in all the history of radio.

But it's what he does which makes it so appealing to me. He's like the best tv evangelists. He doesn't believe any of that bullshit, he just knows what attracts a crowd.
And when you get to the level of the Limbaughs and Billy Grahams, these are to selling bullshit what Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle were to selling baseball.

VectorMan

VectorMan

With half his brain tied behind his back just to make it fair and he is still a genius.

MEGA DITOS! Smile

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Vectorman,

Several years ago I was standing in line at Burger King. The two people standing behind me were talking. They both appeared to be working stiffs on their lunch break. One of them turned to the other and said "were you just listening to Rush, can you believe what he said, that was funny as hell". The other one replied "yea I was listening, he nailed it".

I had no idea what they were talking about. But it didn't matter. All I could think about is damn what power that is to be able to get into peoples' heads like that.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Hearing you whine about haters is like listening to a pedophile complain about child molesters.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

VectorMan wrote:With half his brain tied behind his back just to make it fair and he is still a genius.

MEGA DITOS!  Smile

Really? The guy tosses red meat to rabid listeners, same as Hannity, O'Reilly, Krauthammer and their ilk. Nothing clever or smart about someone exploiting dopes like you!

Sal

Sal

Rush has long been sardonically dismissive of both exercise and healthy eating.

This is nothing new.

No wonder he looks like Jabba the Hut.

Rush only says what people are thinking. That's why he's popular. He reinforces thought based on certain foundational thinking. Whether you agree or not it is a winning formula. He has built an entertainment business that has made him a very wealthy man.

I don't agree with him on everything, I'm not a ditto head, but some of his monologues - if you hear him out - makes sense. More than not, I do not totally agree. Basically like being on this forum. Very Happy But the difference is...he's getting paid by advertisers.

We are not. Razz

Sal

Sal

He says what hateful, angry, bigoted people, who believe they are the only real Americans losing their country to people who think differently, are thinking.

And, yeah there are a lot of those people out there.

But, his audience is shrinking.

And, that is a good thing for America.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:

But, his audience is shrinking.

I imagine you've gotten that from some liberal commentator or liberal website who made that claim from a standpoint of wishful thinking,  Sal.

But nah,  the numbers don't lie.  He still dominates all other radio programming. These are the Arbitron numbers for the month of May...

I take back what I've said about Rush Limbaugh.  You just have to admire his genius. Limbau10

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal, what you just said is like if you'd said the Yankees popularity is slipping after they had just won the tenth World Series in a row. lol

Sal

Sal

Sophistry.

Yeah, his audience is still large today, but Rush has the same problem as the GOP.

His audience is composed almost exclusively of old, white, uber conservatives.

That is a dying breed.

And, that's good for America.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob, I think you may be a victim of information overload. I take back what I've said about Rush Limbaugh.  You just have to admire his genius. 028InformationOverload

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:Sal,  what you just said is like if you'd said the Yankees popularity is slipping after they had just won the tenth World Series in a row.  lol

That would be an apt analogy if the Yankees' fanbase was comprised nearly exclusively of octogenarians, they were attracting no new young fans, and advertisers were pulling out in droves because they had zero appeal to the only relevant demographic.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Wordslinger wrote:

Hearing you whine about haters is like listening to a pedophile complain about child molesters.

I take back what I've said about Rush Limbaugh.  You just have to admire his genius. Ha_ha_10

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:
Bob wrote:Sal,  what you just said is like if you'd said the Yankees popularity is slipping after they had just won the tenth World Series in a row.  lol

That would be an apt analogy if the Yankees' fanbase was comprised nearly exclusively of octogenarians, they were attracting no new young fans, and advertisers were pulling out in droves because they had zero appeal to the only relevant demographic.

My bad.  I didn't know that young people are the only ones who vote and that older people never vote.  lol

Since that's the case you have nothing to worry about in the next election. That means the democrat nominee will win the general election with about 95% of the vote. The republicans might as well disband now and give it up. lol

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:

My bad.  I didn't know that young people are the only ones who vote and that older people never vote.  lol

Since that's the case you have nothing to worry about in the next election.  That means the democrat nominee will win the general election with about 95% of the vote.  The republicans might as well disband now and give it up.  lol

Relevant to advertisers, Bob.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:
Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:

Since that's the case you have nothing to worry about in the next election.  That means the democrat nominee will win the general election with about 95% of the vote.  The republicans might as well disband now and give it up.  lol

Relevant to advertisers, Bob.

Who cares if old farts don't buy anything. Last time I looked, buying something was not a pre-requisite to being allowed to vote. lol

Look, Sal, you desperately want to believe the republicans are history. That all their influence is over with. That from here on out the democrats will be the only power in Washington.

Me, I desperately want to believe I'll be marrying Charlize Theron and hitting the powerball jackpot.

Frankly, I don't think either of our wishes is really gonna come true. But it is fun to dream. lol

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Who cares if old farts don't buy anything.

Advertisers.

And, without advertisers, there's no Rush.

Last time I looked,  buying something was not a pre-requisite to being allowed to vote.  lol

Look,  Sal,  you desperately want to believe the republicans are history.  That all their influence is over with.  That from here on out the democrats will be the only power in Washington.

Me,  I desperately want to believe I'll be marrying Charlize Theron and hitting the powerball jackpot.

Frankly,  I don't think either of our wishes is really gonna come true.  But it is fun to dream.  lol

The parallel is that neither Rush nor the GOP is speaking to young people.

And, without young people, they're both toast.

It sucks being old and irrelevant, but that's life.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Like I said,  Sal,  if it was as simple as your simple mind wants it to be,  yes the country will become all democrat.
But the truth is it's not quite as simple as your simple mind wants it to be.

PRINCETON, NJ -- Young Americans in their 20s and 30s today share two important political characteristics -- they are the most likely of any age group to eschew identification with either party, and, among those who do have a political identity, they are the most likely, along with older baby boomers, to tilt toward the Democratic Party.

Americans aged 18 to 40 are least likely to identify with a party or even lean toward one, with almost one out of five falling into that category. At the same time, among those who do identify with or lean toward one of the two major parties, there is a double-digit Democratic advantage among those at each age point from 18 to 35. These are in fact the only ages -- across the entire age spectrum -- at which Democrats hold a 10-point or higher advantage.

These results represent both good news and bad news for Democrats. While Democrats enjoy a decided advantage in partisan identification among today's young adults, the higher percentages who don't identify with or even lean toward a party are symptomatic of young Americans' distance from the political system. This, in turn, reflects the political reality that this group is less likely than older age groups to vote. Additionally, while Democrats have a decided identification advantage among those younger than 40, it is hardly monolithic, given that more than 30% of the group identifies with or leans toward the Republican Party.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/172439/party-identification-varies-widely-across-age-spectrum.aspx

This is the part I like...

Young Americans in their 20s and 30s today... are the most likely of any age group to eschew identification with either party

That trend is the best news I've ever heard.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

The GOP has made itself irrelevant by embracing fringe elements and pseudo-Christians (yes, there's an overlap). In addition, GOP policies are not appealing to average Americans, who can now clearly see the devastation of such policies, if they're paying attention at all and are not braindead from watching FOX and listening to Limbaugh. It's not just an age gap...it's a policy gap. I'm sorry you can't see that. I will most definitely be working toward getting people to vote in the next election...count on it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:
pseudo-Christians

Tex,  when I read a piece of literature,  oh let's just use a cookbook as one example (although the examples I could use are almost limitless).  When I read a recipe in that cookbook,  and the recipe calls for a rack of ribs,  a bottle of sauce,  and slow roasting in a barbecue pit for 24 hours;  I accept WHAT IS WRITTEN.

I don't say to myself "well hell that aint what the cook really means.  Why hell,  Gomer,  that's just one of them metaphors.  What the cook really means is the bbq needs to be roasted for a million hours instead of 24 cause the cook didn't say how long a day is".

These aren't "pseudo-christians".  These are the christians who read a book the same way I do.  
The actual "pseudo-christians",  are the ones which can't really buy into what the book says so they ignore all the stuff they don't like and accept only the parts they do like.  Or they just say it's all a bunch of metaphors so who cares anyway. Or they're the "social christians" who were just looking for a clubhouse to associate with other people they like to be around.  And by the way,  that last group can really be cool people to hang out with.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum