Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

All the Progresssives know this is true, they just love to pretend. "AMMUNITION FOR POVERTY PIMPS"

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markle

Markle

BY WALTER E. WILLIAMS
RELEASE: WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2005, AND THEREAFTER

AMMUNITION FOR POVERTY PIMPS

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina's destruction of New Orleans, President Bush gave America's poverty pimps and race hustler’s new ammunition. The president said, "As all of us saw on television, there is also some deep, persistent poverty in this region as well. And that poverty has roots in a history of racial discrimination, which cut off generations from the opportunity of America. We have a duty to confront this poverty with bold action."

The president's espousing such a vision not only supplies ammunition to poverty pimps and race hustlers, it focuses attention away from the true connection between race and poverty.

Though I grow weary of pointing it out, let's do it again. Let's examine some numbers readily available from the Census Bureau's 2004 Current Population Survey and ask some questions. There's one segment of the black population that suffers only a 9.9 percent poverty rate, and only 13.7 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. There's another segment that suffers a 39.5 percent poverty rate, and 58.1 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. Among whites, one segment suffers a 6 percent poverty rate, and only 9.9 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. The other segment suffers a 26.4 percent poverty rate, and 52 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. What do you think distinguishes the high and low poverty populations among blacks?

Would you buy an explanation that it's because white people practice discrimination against one segment of the black population and not the other or one segment had a history of slavery and not the other? You'd have to be a lunatic to buy such an explanation. The only distinction between both the black and white populations is marriage -- lower poverty in married-couple families.

In 1960, only 28 percent of black females ages 15 to 44 were never married and illegitimacy among blacks was 22 percent. Today, the never-married rate is 56 percent and illegitimacy stands at 70 percent. If today's black family structure were what it was in 1960, the overall black poverty rate would be in or near single digits. The weakening of the black family structure, and its devastating consequences, have nothing to do with the history of slavery or racial discrimination.

Dr. Charles Murray, an American Enterprise Institute scholar, argues in an article titled "Rediscovering the Underclass" in the Institute's On the Issues series (October 2005) that self-destructive behavior has become the hallmark of the underclass. He says that unemployment in the underclass is not caused by the lack of jobs but by the inability to get up every morning and go to work. In 1954, the percentage of black males, age 20 to 24, not looking for work was nine percent. In 1999, it rose to 30 percent, and that was at a time when employers were beating the bushes for employees. Murray adds that "the statistical reality is that people who get into the American job market and stay there seldom remain poor unless they do something self-destructive.

I share Murray's sentiment expressed at the beginning of his article where he says, "Watching the courage of ordinary low-income people as they deal with the aftermath of Katrina and Rita, it is hard to decide which politicians are more contemptible -- Democrats who are rediscovering poverty and blaming it on George W. Bush, or Republicans who are rediscovering poverty and claiming that the government can fix it." Since President Johnson's War on Poverty, controlling for inflation, the nation has spent $9 trillion on about 80 anti-poverty programs. To put that figure in perspective, last year's U.S. GDP was $11 trillion; $9 trillion exceeds the GDP of any nation except the U.S. Hurricanes Katrina and Rita uncovered the result of the War on Poverty -- dependency and self-destructive behavior.

Guess what the president [President George Walker Bush] and politicians from both parties are asking the American people to do? If you said, "Enact programs that will sustain and enhance dependency," go to the head of the class.

http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/articles/05/poverty.html

We've continued to do the same thing except making it even worse.  Semi-retired President Obama goal is to continue this downward spiral.

Markle

Markle

All the Progresssives know this is true, they just love to pretend.  "AMMUNITION FOR POVERTY PIMPS" Chirping-crickets-stage-2-by-melvin

Last edited by Markle on 5/12/2015, 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

All the Progresssives know this is true, they just love to pretend.  "AMMUNITION FOR POVERTY PIMPS" Illegitimacy

NOTICE THAT THE BLACK GROWTH IN ILLEGITIMACY IS LESS THAN THE WHITE GROWTH DURING THE PERIOD THAT MR. MARKLE TRIES A SOPHOMORIC MANIPULATION OF DATA.......THE FACT IS THAT WHITES HAVE INCREASED THEIR RATES OF CHILDREN OUT OF WEDLOCK COMPARED TO BLACKS.......MR. MARKLE.....FIND A FORUM WITH IDIOTS.....YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING. THE PROPORTIONAL GROWTH AMONG BLACKS IS LESS THAN WHITES

2seaoat

Let me help Mr. Markle a little more. The whites experienced almost a tenfold increase in illegitimate births. Blacks experienced a little less than a fourfold increase. Blaming the War on poverty which was successful for illegitimate birth increases among blacks is just boneheaded stupid and racist. First, the onset of modern birth control in the 1950s led to societal changes where women began to experience more freedom. During this same period women were entering the workforce in record numbers as two income families became the norm......and gave women the additional freedom of financial independence. However, you forget all the sociological and statistical proof and go for the simple racist bat chit crazy answer.....false time magazine covers, and false stats.......you cannot make a valid argument anymore, and I am sad for you.

2seaoat

Running away again.....you really have become cowardly and a liar.  Go ahead and make your racist case why blacks have reduced from six fold illegitimacy over whites in 1950 to four fold in 2015.   I will wait, but you have been caught with your hand in the cookie jar again, either lying, or too ignorant to understand the stats.....either way it is getting old.....get your game together and maybe get some more sleep and eat right......you are losing it.

2seaoat

The worse part of this racist thread is that somebody born on second base who thinks he hit a double tries to tell us that blacks in 1950 had these wonderful stable lives, which if we would only trust the Republican Party they could be returned to the good old days.....before those awful programs which increased illegitimate births......like a six fold rate over whites was just by accident and that Jim Crow and Slavery had NOTHING to do with it. Nuclear families were broken up in slavery in the cruelest methods and your fantasy that by 1950 Blacks were on first base sharing the American experience. Such hatred....such despicable character......such evil........you or your family could not overcome 1950 Jim Crow without consequences, but then again you were born on second base.

KarlRove

KarlRove

2seaoat wrote:All the Progresssives know this is true, they just love to pretend.  "AMMUNITION FOR POVERTY PIMPS" Illegitimacy

NOTICE THAT THE BLACK GROWTH IN ILLEGITIMACY IS LESS THAN THE WHITE GROWTH DURING THE PERIOD THAT MR. MARKLE TRIES A SOPHOMORIC MANIPULATION OF DATA.......THE FACT IS THAT WHITES HAVE INCREASED THEIR RATES OF CHILDREN OUT OF WEDLOCK COMPARED TO BLACKS.......MR. MARKLE.....FIND A FORUM WITH IDIOTS.....YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING.  THE PROPORTIONAL GROWTH AMONG BLACKS IS LESS THAN WHITES

Dude, it's not White America's issue.

KarlRove

KarlRove

2seaoat wrote:Running away again.....you really have become cowardly and a liar.  Go ahead and make your racist case why blacks have reduced from six fold illegitimacy over whites in 1950 to four fold in 2015.   I will wait, but you have been caught with your hand in the cookie jar again, either lying, or too ignorant to understand the stats.....either way it is getting old.....get your game together and maybe get some more sleep and eat right......you are losing it.

Meds are good huh

2seaoat

Dude, it's not White America's issue.

Exactly ......you get it. In 1950 the black family was in disarray compared to white families. Griped in poverty, still living mostly in the south facing sharecropper subsistence under Jim Crow, the illegitimate birth rate was almost seven times greater than white illegitimate birth rates. Today those rates are a little over three times. The war on poverty basically worked until gutted by policies favored by Republicans where the minimum wage was attacked, and social programs which assisted those in poverty to get early education and opportunity were attacked. Social Security Medicare and Medicaid, food stamps, Vista, head start, and educational opportunities all contributed to the adverse impact of poverty.

The results were that poverty rates dropped from 17.3% in 1958 to 11.1 % in 1973. Even when these programs and their success was systematically attacked where the poverty rates have only been modestly reduced since the low in 1973, the rate among senior citizens remains permanently reduced with a huge reduction from 28% in 1965 to 10% for folks over 65 today. Mr. Markle talks about the failure of the war on poverty, but almost three times as many seniors today do not live in poverty since these programs were implemented and despite the attacks on funding said programs.......a continuing attack.

A black person today has unparalleled opportunity to break the cycle of poverty, Jim Crow, and slavery. The idea that this will be done overnight, or that a black person facing systematic discrimination STILL in America is sitting on second base like Mr. Markle and Pace is absurd and the idea that Mr. Markle posts more lies and distortions I guess has become his benchmark.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:Dude, it's not White America's issue.

Exactly ......you get it.  In 1950 the black family was in disarray compared to white families.  Griped in poverty, still living mostly in the south facing sharecropper subsistence under Jim Crow, the illegitimate birth rate was almost seven times greater than white illegitimate birth rates.  Today those rates are a little over three times.  The war on poverty basically worked until gutted by policies favored by Republicans where the minimum wage was attacked, and social programs which assisted those in poverty to get early education and opportunity were attacked.  Social Security Medicare and Medicaid, food stamps, Vista, head start, and educational opportunities all contributed to the adverse impact of poverty.

The results were that poverty rates dropped from 17.3% in 1958 to 11.1 % in 1973.  Even when these programs and their success was systematically attacked where the poverty rates have only been modestly reduced since the low in 1973, the rate among senior citizens remains permanently reduced with a huge reduction from 28% in 1965 to 10% for folks over 65 today.  Mr. Markle talks about the failure of the war on poverty, but almost three times as many seniors today do not live in poverty since these programs were implemented and despite the attacks on funding said programs.......a continuing attack.

A black person today has unparalleled opportunity to break the cycle of poverty, Jim Crow, and slavery.  The idea that this will be done overnight, or that a black person facing systematic discrimination STILL in America is sitting on second base like Mr. Markle and Pace is absurd and the idea that Mr. Markle posts more lies and distortions I guess has become his benchmark.

I'm not sure he "gets it." Racism is harmful to the racist...not much chance of bodily harm comparably, but racism rots the soul of its carrier like a parasite rots a tree.

2seaoat wrote:All the Progresssives know this is true, they just love to pretend.  "AMMUNITION FOR POVERTY PIMPS" Illegitimacy

NOTICE THAT THE BLACK GROWTH IN ILLEGITIMACY IS LESS THAN THE WHITE GROWTH DURING THE PERIOD THAT MR. MARKLE TRIES A SOPHOMORIC MANIPULATION OF DATA.......THE FACT IS THAT WHITES HAVE INCREASED THEIR RATES OF CHILDREN OUT OF WEDLOCK COMPARED TO BLACKS.......MR. MARKLE.....FIND A FORUM WITH IDIOTS.....YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING.  THE PROPORTIONAL GROWTH AMONG BLACKS IS LESS THAN WHITES

Talk about proportional growth or ratios all you want - the fact remains that 70% of AA births today are out of wedlock. That is a big driver of the continuing poverty among AAs.  The formula for success is simple:

Stay in school - get an education, don't have children before marriage, don't do drugs.

Markle

Markle

You really need to look at your chart again.

However, you have confirmed that everything written by Dr. Walter Williams.

2seaoat

Poor Mr. Markle does not get it.....the black family was in worse condition than the racist myth he tries to sell....Jim Crow was equal, and slaves were happier when they were slaves......absurd.   The fact remains that Jim Crow with four bathrooms was not a hundred years ago, but I saw it for ten years of my early life and the 70% out of wedlock proportionally is better than the 1950s, NO one will argue that this is a core problem which must be addressed, but not by denying the reality of what slavery and Jim Crow has done to disadvantage an entire race, rather the answer begins by creating jobs, and investing in education and opportunity.  This country has come a long way from the squalor of Jim Crow in my lifetime, but to deny racism and the stain it creates on America is a fool's task......by the way Mr. Markle, you and I both know I am right and I am not stupid......but you are so lost in your lies you no longer understand integrity, truth, or courage.....very sad.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Walter Williams...I would guess that very few black people give him a second thought...except to despise his message.  He sold out long ago.  I had hoped he would just fade into obscurity, but sadly, too many people have kept going on the stupidity of the public.  At this point, I have no other explanation than a lack of knowledge on the part of some people to discern the truth.  He's a sellout.

Poverty pimps? Oh, please.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Poor Mr. Markle does not get it.....the black family was in worse condition than the racist myth he tries to sell....Jim Crow was equal, and slaves were happier when they were slaves......absurd.   The fact remains that Jim Crow with four bathrooms was not a hundred years ago, but I saw it for ten years of my early life and the 70% out of wedlock proportionally is better than the 1950s, NO one will argue that this is a core problem which must be addressed, but not by denying the reality of what slavery and Jim Crow has done to disadvantage an entire race, rather the answer begins by creating jobs, and investing in education and opportunity.  This country has come a long way from the squalor of Jim Crow in my lifetime, but to deny racism and the stain it creates on America is a fool's task......by the way Mr. Markle, you and I both know I am right and I am not stupid......but you are so lost in your lies you no longer understand integrity, truth, or courage.....very sad.

Jim Crow was from the Democrats, as you know.

Since when is 72.5 percent out of wedlock better than less than 20 percent?

This should be really good.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Everything started changing in the South during the administration of Lyndon Baines Johnson, which ended in 1969, as you must be aware unless you've been living in a bomb shelter since then. And LBJ died in 1973, not long after my grandparents attended a family reunion at the LBJ Ranch. He was my grandpa's cousin. "Papaw" was also 6'4" tall. When Sal posted that tape of LBJ ordering pants...I had to laugh because I can visualize Papaw dealing with the same problem...he was quite a contrast to Mamaw, who claimed she was 5' tall.

The GOP and the branch known as the Tea Party now have most of the racists, as you well know, Markle.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Poor Mr. Markle does not get it.....the black family was in worse condition than the racist myth he tries to sell....Jim Crow was equal, and slaves were happier when they were slaves......absurd.   The fact remains that Jim Crow with four bathrooms was not a hundred years ago, but I saw it for ten years of my early life and the 70% out of wedlock proportionally is better than the 1950s, NO one will argue that this is a core problem which must be addressed, but not by denying the reality of what slavery and Jim Crow has done to disadvantage an entire race, rather the answer begins by creating jobs, and investing in education and opportunity.  This country has come a long way from the squalor of Jim Crow in my lifetime, but to deny racism and the stain it creates on America is a fool's task......by the way Mr. Markle, you and I both know I am right and I am not stupid......but you are so lost in your lies you no longer understand integrity, truth, or courage.....very sad.

Keep up the good work, you continue to be a terrific foil.

All the Progresssives know this is true, they just love to pretend.  "AMMUNITION FOR POVERTY PIMPS" Socratestoo

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

According to Semi-Sane "I know NOSSING!" when the debate is over and you've been flummoxed, reach in your cliche graphic file and after posting your selection, sneak off into the sunset -- knowing full well you've made an idiot of yourself, once again. Reality.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:The worse part of this racist thread is that somebody born on second base who thinks he hit a double tries to tell us that blacks in 1950 had these wonderful stable lives, which if we would only trust the Republican Party they could be returned to the good old days.....before those awful programs which increased illegitimate births......like a six fold rate over whites was just by accident and that Jim Crow and Slavery had NOTHING to do with it.  Nuclear families were broken up in slavery in the cruelest methods and your fantasy that by 1950 Blacks were on first base sharing the American experience.  Such hatred....such despicable character......such evil........you or your family could not overcome 1950 Jim Crow without consequences, but then again you were born on second base.

Please explain specifically how this is a racist post.

It deals with FACTS, so PLEASE point out what in the essay is false and post what you believe are the facts along with your source.  As was done by Dr. Williams.

You also "FORGOT" to explain how 20% of blacks being born out of wedlock is worse than 72% being born out of wedlock.

Yo, 2seaoat, still waiting for your persuasive argument that 20% is better than 72%.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum