Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLITICS 101: Today's discussion: Machiavellianism

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Who was Niccolo Machiavelli?  
What is Machiavellianism?  
What is Il Principe?
And lastly,  does Sarah Palin know what these words mean?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Today's bonus question.

Why is it impossible to refill a refillable butane lighter and that actually work?
I've had several refilliable butane lighters over the years. I have never had one that still works after you try to refuel it?

College freshman paper on Machiavelli. Wish I still had it. Basically it comes down to evil deeds by a government may have to be done for the good of the people. But a whole lot more to it than that in past and present circumstances.

I think you've scared everyone with this topic, Bob. Laughing

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:College freshman paper on Machiavelli.  Wish I still had it.  Basically it comes down to evil deeds by a government may have to be done for the good of the people. But a whole lot more to it than that in past and present circumstances.

Yes, "the end justifies the means" is a part of it.

Except there's a debate about whether or not Machiavelli was advocating that or instead was just shining a spotlight on something for us that he actually did not approve of.

Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:College freshman paper on Machiavelli.  Wish I still had it.  Basically it comes down to evil deeds by a government may have to be done for the good of the people. But a whole lot more to it than that in past and present circumstances.

Yes,  "the end justifies the means" is a part of it.

Except there's a debate about whether or not Machiavelli was advocating that or instead was just shining a spotlight on something for us that he actually did not approve of.

The "Medici" era is very interesting. Power, money, putting people in religious and political power...

Something to learn from but I doubt any present day "leaders" dwell much on the past.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Seaoat has mentioned Machiavelli many times in relation to Newt Gingrich.  I think his philosophy is more in line with Dastardly Dick Cheney...and that Machiavelli's statements boil down to "the end justifies the means".  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machiavellianism

Machiavellianism is "the employment of cunning and duplicity in statecraft or in general conduct".[1] The word comes from the Italian Renaissance diplomat and writer Niccolò Machiavelli, who wrote Il Principe (The Prince), among other works.

In modern psychology, Machiavellianism is one of the dark triad personalities, characterized by a duplicitous interpersonal style associated with cynical beliefs and pragmatic morality.[2]

Sounds like Cheney, doesn't it?

Sorry...distracted by the grandkids.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Floridatexan wrote:Seaoat has mentioned Machiavelli many times in relation to Newt Gingrich.  I think his philosophy is more in line with Dastardly Dick Cheney...and that Machiavelli's statements boil down to "the end justifies the means".  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machiavellianism

Machiavellianism is "the employment of cunning and duplicity in statecraft or in general conduct".[1] The word comes from the Italian Renaissance diplomat and writer Niccolò Machiavelli, who wrote Il Principe (The Prince), among other works.

In modern psychology, Machiavellianism is one of the dark triad personalities, characterized by a duplicitous interpersonal style associated with cynical beliefs and pragmatic morality.[2]

Sounds like Cheney, doesn't it?

Sorry...distracted by the grandkids.  

More like Barry.

2seaoat

The Clintons are very good at the art, but Newt was the best.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:The Clintons are very good at the art, but Newt was the best.

Best at what...lies and disinfo?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum