Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Americans really aren't church-goers after all ...

+2
KarlRove
Wordslinger
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Bad news for fundamentalist Christians ...

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/26/the_central_delusion_of_the_christian_right_americans_arent_really_churchgoers_after_all_partner/

Reality.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Negative Ghostrider

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

KarlRove wrote:Negative Ghostrider

Can't handle the truth huh?  LOL

KarlRove

KarlRove

http://www.faithfamilyamerica.com/poll_shows_americans_want_more_religion_in_politics

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

KarlRove wrote:http://www.faithfamilyamerica.com/poll_shows_americans_want_more_religion_in_politics

And a poll of honey bees would overwhelmingly attest to their love of nectar.

Perhaps you can explain why fewer and fewer Americans still attend a church, ANY church on Sundays ... and yet they want more religion in politics.

Can't wait to hear your explanation ... LOL

KarlRove

KarlRove

Perhaps you can explain the polls which contradicts your very existence

2seaoat

Only 2000 people sample in which almost 60% identify as Republicans......this was no more scientific than Slingers absurd statistics or the lack thereof. When somebody actually posts real scientific studies with adequate sample sizes and no hidden agenda I will listen to either sides argument, but this thread is a prime example of both sides simply talking chit.

KarlRove

KarlRove

2seaoat wrote:Only 2000 people sample in which almost 60% identify as Republicans......this was no more scientific than Slingers absurd statistics or the lack thereof. When somebody actually posts real scientific studies with adequate sample sizes and no hidden agenda I will listen to either sides argument, but this thread is a prime example of both sides simply talking chit.

Skewed much like liberal polls when they concoct one...

I desire no religion in politics and no politics in religion.

Probably after the Reagan era is when we saw the big push toward religious right taking up their position in politics. (Dobson, Robertson, Falwell - all who had radio and tv ratings to push not to mention cries for monetary donations)  This appealed to a large group of people who were afraid of war in the Middle East (1st Bush presidency) and then the election of Bill Clinton.  Religious pulpiteers became popular and began to turn the tide.  Sheeple followed and assumed this was the right step in being "godly" and "taking back America."

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

SheWrites wrote:I desire no religion in politics and no politics in religion.

cheerscheerscheerscheerscheerscheerscheerscheers

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

cheerscheerscheerscheerscheerscheerscheerscheers

good point well made!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Neither does anyone else with any common sense.  

But it doesn't work that way with those who are absolutely convinced that what's in the Bible or the Koran is the infallible explanation for everything and ALL the rules for human life given them by their creator.  For them,  that trumps everything else.   How could it not?  It comes from their "Creator".  Their master.  The boss of all bosses.  The one which snapped it's fingers and out popped Earth and all of us 6000 years ago.  If they don't think that trumps everything else then how can they buy any of it.  They have to believe that.

Last edited by Bob on 4/30/2015, 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:

So does anyone with any common sense.  

But it doesn't work with that way with those who are absolutely convinced that what's in the Bible or the Koran is the infallible explanation for everything and ALL the rules for human life given them by their creator.  For them,  that trumps everything else.   How could it not?  It comes from their "Creator".  Their master.  The boss of all bosses.  The one which snapped it's fingers and out popped Earth and all of us 6000 years ago.  If they don't think that trumps everything else then how can they buy any of it.  They have to believe that.

People of faith do not generally subscribe to creationism.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:

And I guess bears don't shit in the woods and popes aint catholic.  

No Christian church or Jewish Synagogue anywhere in the world has Bibles in it's pews with the Book of Genesis torn out of it.  
Are you telling me that the infallible creator of everything in existence,  lied to us about how he created everything?   He's the frigging Creator.  
It's all about him being the creator and how and why he created it all.
And you're sitting there with a straight face trying to tell me Christians "generally don't subscribe to it".  
That's like telling me Paula Jones followers "generally don't subscribe" to her recipes.
Or Apple buyers "generally don't subscribe to Apple products".  It's so ludicrous it makes my head hurt.  lol

KarlRove

KarlRove

Paula jones?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

KarlRove wrote:Paula jones?

Okay Paula Poundstone or whatever Paula's name is.  The one with the recipes.  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And by the way, I made Paula's beefaroni recipe and it sucked. She may have "created' it and all but her "creation" was so bland it was tasteless.
I don't "subscribe" to it. But then again I don't subscribe to her whole shtick.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Well to be totally honest I started with her recipe but I read a whole bunch of others on the internet and got "creative" myself and combined her "creation" with that of others.   That may have been my mistake.  
Thank god the lord didn't do his creating that way or he may have ended up creating a homosexual platypus or something.  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

When the lord created all those dinosaurs 6000 years ago that ended up on Noah's boat, I wonder how many of them were created light in their loafers?
I'm glad they went extinct. I can't imagine what it would be like walking in jurassic park and seeing two male tyrannosaurus rexes getting it on together.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

And I guess bears don't shit in the woods and popes aint catholic.  

No Christian church or Jewish Synagogue anywhere in the world has Bibles in it's pews with the Book of Genesis torn out of it.  
Are you telling me that the infallible creator of everything in existence,  lied to us about how he created everything?   He's the frigging Creator.  
It's all about him being the creator and how and why he created it all.
And you're sitting there with a straight face trying to tell me Christians "generally don't subscribe to it".  
That's like telling me Paula Jones followers "generally don't subscribe" to her recipes.
Or Apple buyers "generally don't subscribe to Apple products".  It's so ludicrous it makes my head hurt.  lol

That's because you try to reduce absolutely everything to a wrestling match between two manufactured viewpoints. People who literally interpret the Bible might believe in "creationism", or as it's more commonly known these days, "intelligent design". I do not. That doesn't mean I don't have faith in God. Read Genesis and tell me how long a "day" is.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:

That's because you try to reduce absolutely everything to a wrestling match between two manufactured viewpoints.  People who literally interpret the Bible might believe in "creationism", or as it's more commonly known these days, "intelligent design".  I do not.  That doesn't mean I don't have faith in God.  Read Genesis and tell me how long a "day" is.  

Firstly,  the wrastlin match between two manufactured viewpoints is not the explanation for religion.  That describes the commercial pop "news" media and the current political dialogue.  

The concept of "a day" has NEVER meant anything else except one session of sunlight followed by one session of darkness.  It is entirely a human concept.  It was born in the human mind and it lives in the human mind. It meant that to the most primitive human beings and has meant that to every human being since.  
When the utterly stupid suggestion came along to tell us "a day" actually means a billion years,  then at that point everything we've ever learned about our surroundings becomes null and void and totally without any meaning whatsoever.

You may "believe in god", but you aint no Bible believer.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

This debate is quite interesting.  Clearly, there are hardcore fundamentalists of every stripe to which virtually every word in their holy book is literally the truth of their God.

Then there are those who believe, in a sort of general way - - picking and choosing the passages they like and disregarding others.  A good example would be an Orthodox Jew vs. a Reformed Jew.  You get the idea.

That's what was meant by the comment that most Christians don't believe in Creationism.

And then their are the Agnostics -- who are flat-out skeptical of the whole God concept, but not dead set on the concept one way or the other.

Lastly are people like me -- genuine Atheists who don't believe at all in the idea of an omnipotent space character who, after or just before creating our universe around our sun-star, went on with his work and creating trillions and trillions of other galaxies.  Ostensibly for the fun of it, or maybe out of boredom.  Who knows?

The essential problem, of course, is conflict between believers or dis-believers as one side becomes overbearing in their attempt to force the other side to their way thinking.

I'm not interested in forcing any one to my way of thinking.  But I am absolutely dedicated to stopping anyone from forcing others to their way.  That includes any idiot who wants us to teach that the earth is but 6,000 years old, that evolutionary theory is wrong, etc., as genuine truths at schools.

America is not a Christian, Catholic, Baptist, Presbyterian, Jewish, Jehovah's Witness, Scientologist nation.  Thanks be to God!!
LOL

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

That's because you try to reduce absolutely everything to a wrestling match between two manufactured viewpoints.  People who literally interpret the Bible might believe in "creationism", or as it's more commonly known these days, "intelligent design".  I do not.  That doesn't mean I don't have faith in God.  Read Genesis and tell me how long a "day" is.  

Firstly,  the wrastlin match between two manufactured viewpoints is not the explanation for religion.  That describes the commercial pop "news" media and the current political dialogue.  

The concept of "a day" has NEVER meant anything else except one session of sunlight followed by one session of darkness.  It is entirely a human concept.  It was born in the human mind and it lives in the human mind. It meant that to the most primitive human beings and has meant that to every human being since.  
When the utterly stupid suggestion came along to tell us "a day" actually means a billion years,  then at that point everything we've ever learned about our surroundings becomes null and void and totally without any meaning whatsoever.

You may "believe in god",  but you aint no Bible believer.  

Excuse me? Where do you get off telling me what I believe?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wordslinger wrote:there are hardcore fundamentalists of every stripe to which virtually every word in their holy book is literally the truth of their God.

Then there are those who believe, in a sort of general way - - picking and choosing the passages they like and disregarding others.  A good example would be an Orthodox Jew vs. a Reformed Jew.  You get the idea.

That's what was meant by the comment that most Christians don't believe in Creationism.

Actually,  I don't get that idea at all.
The Bible is ALL ABOUT a 'creator' and his 'creating' everything.  
But now I'm told his disciples don't believe in 'creationism'.  lol

What's next? Am I gonna be told that 'conservatives' don't believe in 'conservatism'?  

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:there are hardcore fundamentalists of every stripe to which virtually every word in their holy book is literally the truth of their God.

Actually,  I don't get that idea at all.
The Bible is ALL ABOUT a 'creator' and his 'creating' everything.  
But now I'm told his disciples don't believe in 'creationism'.  lol

What's next?  Am I gonna be told that 'conservatives' don't believe in 'conservatism'?   

Wiki:

Creationism is the belief that the Universe and Life originate "from specific acts of divine creation."[2][3] For young Earth creationists, this includes taking a Biblical literalism to the Genesis creation narrative and the rejection of the scientific theory of evolution.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum