Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wolf Hall - Sunday nights PBS?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wolf Hall - Sunday nights PBS? Empty Wolf Hall - Sunday nights PBS? 4/27/2015, 3:42 pm

Anyone watching?

Yep.  I started at episode 3.  I thought it was too too slow, but now I like it, especially the Thomas Cranmer and Anne Boleyn characters.  I don't know how true to historical fact it is, but it makes for an enjoyable illumination of the Henry VIII period of history.  

I started at the beginning. Almost didn't stick with it then it took a turn that caught me. I love the "Tudor" portion of English history and, so far, seems on target with what the history books tell. This is adapted from a historical fiction novel by Hilary Mantel. Historical fiction may take it's own license but it shouldn't stray too terribly far from history.

They place Cromwell as the protagonist and Thomas More as the antagonist. Some may consider this inaccurate but it really depends on your bent toward or against the Catholic Church.

SheWrites wrote:I started at the beginning.  Almost didn't stick with it then it took a turn that caught me.  I love the "Tudor" portion of English history and, so far, seems on target with what the history books tell.  This is adapted from a historical fiction novel by Hilary Mantel.   Historical fiction may take it's own license but it shouldn't stray too terribly far from history.

They place Cromwell as the protagonist and Thomas More as the antagonist. Some may consider this inaccurate but it really depends on your bent toward or against the Catholic Church.  

I admire Thomas More's maintaining his beliefs - he refused to back down and sign the proclamation that the king is the head of the church.  He chose death over compromising his morals. BTW - I read that he was sentenced to be hanged, drawn, and quartered, but Henry commuted the sentence to decapitation - so the king showed a bit of kindness to his old councilor.

Really shows the fight for power from the country's royalty vs. the Catholic Church.

Hard times...focus was on power and money. Both sides - church and state taking lives for disloyalty to their cause.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum