Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A nation of scardy cats starts with over parenting which creates weak children

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/parents-rally-around-%E2%80%98free-range-family%E2%80%99-with-petitions-protest-plans/ar-AAb46y8

The government needs to spend their time going after parents who are abusing children, not those who are trying to create tough independent confident Americans.....it is no wonder we are a country filled with Scardy cats who jump at their own shadow, or are afraid ISIS is going to come and behead them......Children who explore and are challenged as kids independent of 24/7/365 overparenting will get this country back on track as the nanny state, fear, prejudice, and scardy catism can finally be changed. Leave those parents alone and may they be successful getting more parents to raise kids correctly.

KarlRove

KarlRove

It's foolish to allow children of that age be unsupervised that far from home. It's a different world from why you and I grew up in when you could play in the street or even on another block without child predators in proximity. The FDLE has a website that shows the
Locations of convicted child molesters on their website. You would be shocked at how many predators are in the
Area closest to
Your own home .

KarlRove

KarlRove

Children are the most valuable gifts we have in put lives. There are no "do-overs" with child predators.

2seaoat

Actually, the crime rate was higher when I was ten years old. I think it depends on the kids and a parent knows if their kids are ready. We have become a nation of wussies, and it starts with our parenting protected kids. You learn as native american children learned.....the fire is hot.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Tell that to the parents who have had their children abducted and molested.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Native American children didnt live in cities and urban areas full of freaks

2seaoat

Native American children didnt live in cities and urban areas full of freaks

Nope......their predators ate them. They got strong and independent. I would let my five year old and eight year old play at a campground out of our eyesight. It was amazing to watch the growth over the years. I have told the story when I told them they could play for ten minutes and then they had to get back because we were going to leave. My wife and I broke down our tents, packed the car, and at the 10 minute mark drove the car to a distant corner of the campground and then observed them coming back to the campsite 45 minutes late......they looked.....we were gone.....my son screamed DADDY! not in a scared or timid way....but a piszed off five year old. My children are strong and independent, and I will pass on the state replacing my parenting responsibilities......responsible free range parenting is good.

Vikingwoman

I have to agree w/ Karl Rove which I never do and am not happy about. It is irresponsible to allow a 10 yr.old and 6 yr.old walk a mile through a crime district and cross main through fares by themselves. A 10 yr.old is not old enough to supervise a smaller child for that far. Neglectful and stupid.

2seaoat

I have to agree w/ Karl Rove which I never do and am not happy about. It is irresponsible to allow a 10 yr.old and 6 yr.old walk a mile through a crime district and cross main through fares by themselves. A 10 yr.old is not old enough to supervise a smaller child for that far. Neglectful and stupid.

Where did you get the facts about a main through fare? How big was the crossing and was it a controlled crossing? Where did you get the information and facts that these children were exposed to a crime district.

Children are at less risk than I was a kid. The fears are irrational and harm children. We have gone too far. A kid can die of cancer because they are out in the sun, and based on these manufactured facts and fears we would keep all children inside. It is time to stop the paranoia......chit happens, and a 10 year old is certainly old enough to walk back home from the park, and I was more than responsible enough at 10 to watch a six year old sibling.

http://www.freerangekids.com/crime-statistics/

Vikingwoman

I believe it was on Nightline and it showed as well as a bad section of town And no, a 10 yr. old is not old enough to supervise a 6 yr. old. You must be 12 or 13 in Fl.

KarlRove

KarlRove

by Vikingwoman Yesterday at 7:49 pm

Ty Smile

2seaoat

Micro managing children out of fear is not good for the children. My father died when I was 10 and had to take care of my brother who was 7. I was responsible. I know 15 year old kids who are not responsible. I would rather leave it up to the parents about kids walking home from a neighborhood park. I cannot even imagine getting picked up by the police while walking back from the ball diamond with my brother.....a distance of about a half mile. I completely understand an eight year old watching a five year old, but at 10 kids are quite capable of being responsible. The law is just a bunch of legislators trying to create a nanny state because of the neglect of a handful of parents which ends up punishing an entire generation of children and the responsible parents.

Vikingwoman

Sorry Oatie but that's the law. Some kids maybe responsible enough but you can't allow all of them at 10 yrs. old to supervise younger siblings. If that was the case then parents could leave their 10 yr.olds to babysit at night for younger siblings and that is NOT old enough to take on that responsibility. The news story did a camera route the children had to go and it was several big streets and through a business district. I would never allow my children to walk through all that at that age. Those kids are a moving target. I wouldn't risk putting them in jeopardy like that.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Seaoat...do your granddaughters walk a mile unattended?

2seaoat

Seaoat...do your granddaughters walk a mile unattended?
Not yet. six and three are too young but the six year old is constantly asking why she cannot walk the two blocks from Kindergarten. I walked four blocks to kindergarten, and EVERY kid walked to school. Six and two blocks....getting there. Waiting until somebody is 13 is stupid, and slavery was the law, but it was changed. We need the nanny state out of our lives.

Vikingwoman

The law was changed ...to 13. Parents have more sense now and know their kids face great risks unsupervised. Stop living in the past Oatie. We have learned from our mistakes.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Seaoat...do your granddaughters walk a mile unattended?
 Not yet.  six and three are too young but the six year old is constantly asking why she cannot walk the two blocks from Kindergarten.  I walked four blocks to kindergarten, and EVERY kid walked to school.  Six and two blocks....getting there.   Waiting until somebody is 13 is stupid, and slavery was the law, but it was changed.   We need the nanny state out of our lives.

We also walked to school and 3 of my grand children live 1 block behind the school and they walk. My 12 year old grandaughter and 12 year old grandson walk a couple of times a week to the rec center with a group of kids.....3 blocks from the school. Safety in numbers.

As it was stated before times have changed. We are very careful with the children.

2seaoat

I am over protective, but in this state controlled crazed world of nanny state agents, I probably would be put in Jail. Kids need independence.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:I am over protective, but in this state controlled crazed world of nanny state agents, I probably would be put in Jail.  Kids need independence.

They have independence. ....controlled.

2seaoat

kids face great risks unsupervised.

I disagree. The risks are no greater today than they were fifty years ago. Yet, the damage to children is tangible when they are over parented and unable to explore the world independently.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum