Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prairie burn

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Prairie burn Empty Prairie burn 3/21/2015, 8:29 am

2seaoat

The ice has cleared on the river, and it is unbelievable how low the river is. We have never seen the river this low in the spring for eleven years. The grass was very dry and exploded with quick and complete burns. Typically, the islands have some flooding over a winter melt cycle, but this year nothing. The extremes keep setting records. Eight record floods in eleven years and now very strange spring thaw....very strange.

Once the grass has burned, the bobcat will collect previous flood logs and clear areas, do road repairs by spreading thin layers of gravel. The pup is running free again with the snow melted. The joy of her running permeates her spirit. She thinks she is a bad asz as she chases geese and squirrels.

A Pottawatomie camp was on the west shore two hundred years ago as the river systems served as native american interstates. Lincoln twenty years later was chasing Chief Blackhawk with Illinois militia, and native Americans were gathered under the Indian removal act. In the 1840s European settlers began to settle the once Indian lands.

As I walk in this natural beauty rich with history of man's interaction with the river system, I realize how man has so screwed the pooch. We collect the litter and the garbage thrown in this beautiful river and restore the praire hoping that this beauty can be preserved for future generations. Nature has the ability to renew, and we so easily forget the damage to the same and the people who lived here before us, but in the end the beauty of the same is mesmerizing and an answer in and of itself.

2Prairie burn Empty Re: Prairie burn 3/21/2015, 1:27 pm

2seaoat

Peg leg and dead man walking are going to take the golf cart and the dog out to start picking up the black walnut branches which fell over the winter. As warm and dry as it is we will be cutting grass four weeks earlier than we ever have. Still have slabs of ice pushed up on the North end of the big island.....did not lose any Maple trees being pushed over by ice this year, but need to cut a fallen HUGE cottonwood tree......we will load the chain saw, and we will both try to start it......it may be a couple day cut to open the north road.......to only have my strength, a twenty minute job turned into a couple of old gimps hobbling around.......the keystone cops were never funnier than Peg leg and dead man walking doing routine maintenance.

However.......the dog loves it. Walleyes are biting and I only have time to clear and clean up.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum