Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Democrats' Soft Extremism Obama is out of ideas, and Clinton's speech was unworthy of him.

+2
Margin Call
Nekochan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

"There was the relentless emphasis on Government as Community, as the thing that gives us spirit and makes us whole. But government isn't what you love if you're American, America is what you love. Government is what you have, need and hire. Its most essential duties—especially when it is bankrupt—involve defending rights and safety, not imposing views and values. We already have values. Democrats and Republicans don't see all this the same way, and that's fine—that's what national politics is, the working out of this dispute in one direction or another every few years. But the Democrats convened in Charlotte seemed more extreme on the point, more accepting of the idea of government as the center of national life, than ever, at least to me."

http://online.wsj.com/article/declarations.html

Nekochan

Nekochan

Noonan almost always gets it right and this time is no different.

Margin Call

Margin Call

alecto wrote: But the Democrats convened in Charlotte seemed more extreme on the point, more accepting of the idea of government as the center of national life, than ever, at least to me."

The Republican alternative is endless wars and a pseudo-free market that has to be cleaned up by tax payer debt when it implodes. Either way, everyone is forced to accept that the government is the center of national life....same coin, different side.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Well, that's the thing....Romney didn't mention wars. So we don't know what he'll do. He was criticized for not mentioning Afghanistan at the convention (and rightly so, I think) and we don't know where he would go with it. It's something he needs to answer in the next couple of months.

2seaoat

Romney has ran out of time. He is significantly behind in 10 of 12 battleground states. He needed to address his path clearly at the convention. His staff thought giving Clint the stage was important. Unless the president finds an intern in the White House, or Romney jumps in a lake and saves an old lady.....there will be no sudden change in the polls, and Obama will get over 300 electoral votes, and all the bluster we gather on these forums will matter not......the president is going to win.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Well, Seaoat, at least you've finally given up on the idea of Gingrich jumping in at the last minute and saving the day.

Margin Call

Margin Call

The greatest consequence of the DNC is that Charlie Crist received a less than tepid welcome to the Democratic party leading to the reality that everyone who voted for Rick Scott over Alex Sink guaranteed Sink will ultimately be Gov of Florida anyway.

2seaoat

Well, Seaoat, at least you've finally given up on the idea of Gingrich jumping in at the last minute and saving the day.

Ann Coulter will be right. We nominated Romney. We will lose.

Make fun of my support of Newt. He understood America. He played to the crazies, but he understood the waste in the federal government and he could have made real cuts in government and tried to work across the aisle to bring improved efficiencies. Mitt Romney and his dark money painted Newt as a Whacko. The contract with America was the most significant legislation in America in the last 20 years......how the author of this legislation and sanity became a whacko tells me more about the danger of dark money than the substance the American people seem to be missing. We need to increase revenues, cut expenses, and invest in America and Americans. We can never get there with Mitt Romney, and President Obama thinks that more police, fire, and teachers is the answer.

Newt Gingrich should have been the nominee, but the question is why did Ron Paul quit? Who got to him.......or was he always part of the plan to allow Romney to become the nominee. If Paul had not given up and stopped his campaign, we would have had a brokered convention and I will never understand what was promised to Ron Paul to allow a wimp like Romney to be our party's nominee.

2seaoat wrote: but the question is why did Ron Paul quit? Who got to him.......or was he always part of the plan to allow Romney to become the nominee. If Paul had not given up and stopped his campaign, we would have had a brokered convention and I will never understand what was promised to Ron Paul to allow a wimp like Romney to be our party's nominee.

It is a given that Ron Paul would have a better chance of inventing a stable 5000 gigawatt handheld cold fusion reactor then being elected President. A few of his ideas sound good but many are so out of touch with reality as to be impossible.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

alecto wrote:"There was the relentless emphasis on Government as Community, as the thing that gives us spirit and makes us whole. But government isn't what you love if you're American, America is what you love. Government is what you have, need and hire. Its most essential duties—especially when it is bankrupt—involve defending rights and safety, not imposing views and values. We already have values. Democrats and Republicans don't see all this the same way, and that's fine—that's what national politics is, the working out of this dispute in one direction or another every few years. But the Democrats convened in Charlotte seemed more extreme on the point, more accepting of the idea of government as the center of national life, than ever, at least to me."

Obama is not out of ideas he is reminding us of a major idea. He is offering us an alternative to the ideas of the Romney/Ryan ticket.

He is pointing out this: we are in this together as Americans. We do better as a country when we work together.

The contrast is between working together as Americans to build a country that works for everyone or the Romney/Ryan view that everyone is on their own.

nochain wrote:
2seaoat wrote: but the question is why did Ron Paul quit? Who got to him.......or was he always part of the plan to allow Romney to become the nominee. If Paul had not given up and stopped his campaign, we would have had a brokered convention and I will never understand what was promised to Ron Paul to allow a wimp like Romney to be our party's nominee.

It is a given that Ron Paul would have a better chance of inventing a stable 5000 gigawatt handheld cold fusion reactor then being elected President. A few of his ideas sound good but many are so out of touch with reality as to be impossible.

Like his elimination immedaitely of five government agencies...on the economic side and smaller government Mr Paul does have some great thoughts...It's when he ventures into foreign policy that it gets folks nervous...although agree that the US should stop being the World Police and should we need to use the military...enough with the nation building..get in..get out...allow NATO and the UN to figure out what to do after the military operations are completed...Would hope that Romney would have or will listen to some of Mr Paul's ideas..

othershoe1030 wrote:
alecto wrote:"There was the relentless emphasis on Government as Community, as the thing that gives us spirit and makes us whole. But government isn't what you love if you're American, America is what you love. Government is what you have, need and hire. Its most essential duties—especially when it is bankrupt—involve defending rights and safety, not imposing views and values. We already have values. Democrats and Republicans don't see all this the same way, and that's fine—that's what national politics is, the working out of this dispute in one direction or another every few years. But the Democrats convened in Charlotte seemed more extreme on the point, more accepting of the idea of government as the center of national life, than ever, at least to me."

Obama is not out of ideas he is reminding us of a major idea. He is offering us an alternative to the ideas of the Romney/Ryan ticket.

He is pointing out this: we are in this together as Americans. We do better as a country when we work together.

The contrast is between working together as Americans to build a country that works for everyone or the Romney/Ryan view that everyone is on their own.

???????????!!!!!......So after four years of this divide and separate you're saying SUDDENLY he's a uniter?...The theme as..GOVERNMENT...MORE GOVERNMENT...they mentioned balanced budgets...but what has the COWH and Sen Harry Reid done in four years with the exception of killing bills sent over from the House....further he's bypassed the Congress with his Healthcare and several executive orders and this from the man that promised to do things in the "open where Americans can see"...It was nothing more than a speech that attempted to be very general and focused away from the four years of failures...

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

With all of this talk of Ron Paul, I truly believe he could have presented much more of a challenge to President Obama than Mitt Romney could. It would make the 2012 election much more interestring than it is going to be.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:Well, Seaoat, at least you've finally given up on the idea of Gingrich jumping in at the last minute and saving the day.

Ann Coulter will be right. We nominated Romney. We will lose.

Make fun of my support of Newt. He understood America. He played to the crazies, but he understood the waste in the federal government and he could have made real cuts in government and tried to work across the aisle to bring improved efficiencies. Mitt Romney and his dark money painted Newt as a Whacko. The contract with America was the most significant legislation in America in the last 20 years......how the author of this legislation and sanity became a whacko tells me more about the danger of dark money than the substance the American people seem to be missing. We need to increase revenues, cut expenses, and invest in America and Americans. We can never get there with Mitt Romney, and President Obama thinks that more police, fire, and teachers is the answer.

Newt Gingrich should have been the nominee, but the question is why did Ron Paul quit? Who got to him.......or was he always part of the plan to allow Romney to become the nominee. If Paul had not given up and stopped his campaign, we would have had a brokered convention and I will never understand what was promised to Ron Paul to allow a wimp like Romney to be our party's nominee.

Newt is all about Newt. He is not nor will he ever be the savior of the GOP. And whatever is up with Ron Paul (who knows from day to day?), his delegates were (rightly) angry at their treatment at the convention.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:With all of this talk of Ron Paul, I truly believe he could have presented much more of a challenge to President Obama than Mitt Romney could. It would make the 2012 election much more interestring than it is going to be.

Remember our little discussion about scalpel vs. chainsaw?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Nekochan wrote:Noonan almost always gets it right and this time is no different.

Noonan's a right-wing hack...always has been. She had to criticize Bill Clinton's speech because it was THAT GOOD. And it was galvanizing and fact-filled. Leave it to her to try and turn around the Republican War on Women as if it shouldn't be mentioned by Democrats. Critical of the GOP? Hell, yes, because Republicans have become little lemmings ready to follow Romney off a cliff. It's pathetic, really.

And I'm beginning to think that Limbaugh was right about something...Clint Eastwood was a "spoiler" for the GOP.

2seaoat

Newt is all about Newt. He is not nor will he ever be the savior of the GOP. And whatever is up with Ron Paul (who knows from day to day?), his delegates were (rightly) angry at their treatment at the convention.

The cult of personality has taken American common sense away. It never is about celebrity.....it is about issues. Newt when he was not pulling his machiavellian routine appealing to the crazies, was the only person who understood the federal government structure and need for great reform and reduction. He was painted as a self serving crook........he did more for this country's prosperity with his contract with America than the whole lot of these folks who are currently running.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:Newt is all about Newt. He is not nor will he ever be the savior of the GOP. And whatever is up with Ron Paul (who knows from day to day?), his delegates were (rightly) angry at their treatment at the convention.

The cult of personality has taken American common sense away. It never is about celebrity.....it is about issues. Newt when he was not pulling his machiavellian routine appealing to the crazies, was the only person who understood the federal government structure and need for great reform and reduction. He was painted as a self serving crook........he did more for this country's prosperity with his contract with America than the whole lot of these folks who are currently running.

Seaoat, I don't know where you're getting this "cult of personality" stuff. It IS people...people HAVE personalities, just like you do, just like I do. That's real world. It does seem sometimes that anyone who can pick up a mic and step in front of a camera or get on the radio or the net automatically has some kind of credibility. That's media for you.

Where were you when Newt was ushered out of his speaker position by his own party? I can't believe you were fooled by his pseudointellectual psychobabble.

2seaoat

look, your candidate President Obama will win. You can make fun of my support of Newt, but after the President win reelection, and he thinks this is a mandate for hiring more police, fire, and teachers......we are putting another loop in the hangman's noose for this country. It is about the issues, and if Romney's dark money had not destroyed Newt's character, we could have talked real issues and real solutions......instead we have Mitt Romney, the biggest flip flopper in American history, and a true evil man doing the work of the Oligarchy, and when your candidate beats this man you will have satisfaction, but America does not need short term satisfaction.....we need truth in issues.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

newswatcher wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

???????????!!!!!......So after four years of this divide and separate you're saying SUDDENLY he's a uniter?...The theme as..GOVERNMENT...MORE GOVERNMENT...they mentioned balanced budgets...but what has the COWH and Sen Harry Reid done in four years with the exception of killing bills sent over from the House....further he's bypassed the Congress with his Healthcare and several executive orders and this from the man that promised to do things in the "open where Americans can see"...It was nothing more than a speech that attempted to be very general and focused away from the four years of failures...

Well, okay. The folks on the right think the Republicans were willing to compromise and work with the President and the Democrats in Congress? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

From where I sit it looked as if the Republicans were being herded by the ignorant tea party freshman to take positions that even John Boener didn't want to take. I'm taking especially about their counterproductive stance on their refusal to raise the debt ceiling.
They didn't even understand what the debt ceiling was. To me that's an example of how the Republicans have lost their power and their sense and their ability to work across the aisle.
So, after all that you have the imagination to say that Obama has been a divider, lovely. I just don't see it that way.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:With all of this talk of Ron Paul, I truly believe he could have presented much more of a challenge to President Obama than Mitt Romney could. It would make the 2012 election much more interestring than it is going to be.
He would get my vote..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum