This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

They Did Build That

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1They Did Build That Empty They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 12:34 pm

LOL. Good Ol' Bubba. He'll raise the roof tonight.

But perhaps the main point of Clinton's speech was putting the blame for the national debt squarely at the GOP's doorstep.

He pointed to the giant national debt clock that Republicans had at their convention, saying, "You see that debt clock?"

"They built it!" shouted a man in the audience.

"Yeah, they built it. They built it," replied Clinton, to loud cheers and laughs from the audience.

Clinton also criticized Republicans for going after former President George H.W. Bush when he tried to reduce the national debt and told the crowd that President Obama is not responsible for most of the national debt:

"When the first President Bush really sucked it up and decided to do something about it by signing a bill the Democratic Congress passed to pay for things as you go along, and to have spending cuts and very modest tax increases, they made him apologize for it at the Republican convention. You remember that? At the time I was happy, because it helped me get elected. But it was sad because he did the right thing, and they made him apologize for it.

Then, I served for eight years, and we kept bringing the deficit down. We had four surplus budgets in a row. Then what happened? We put them [Republicans] back in -- or the Supreme Court did -- and they got rid of pay as you go, they [passed] the tax cuts and spent lots of money. ... We had a projected surplus of $5.7 trillion and turned it into a projected debt of $5.8 trillion over the next 10 years. We would have been out of debt by next year or the year after next. ...

The rules that we followed then that we should normally follow, do not apply now. The reason President Obama did that stimulus is, when interest rates are zero, and there is no private activity, if the government does not step in to put people to work and to help people get through the day, they won't make it.

So his contribution to that big ol' debt clock that you saw is the $800 billion stimulus. All those other trillions and trillions of dollars? He had nothing to do with that."

The solution, said Clinton, was to pass the recommendations by the Simpson-Bowles debt commission and "pass a 10-year plan to reduce the debt, starting the year after growth has clearly returned."

He added that it was impossible to balance a budget without the presence of economic growth, adequate revenues and spending controls -- all of which do not currently exist.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/04/bill-clinton-speech_n_1850525.html?1346807539

View user profile

2They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 1:10 pm

obama has increased the debt by 50% in less than 4 years... 5+ TRILLION.

come to terms with that. and before you blame bush... obama saved banks, wall st, corporations. i thght y'all were against that stuff? not if it's your guy? how'd ya like cash for clunkers? or bonuses for aig snuck into the stimulus? how about all that money given to cronys for those green energy scams? i'll know you have nothing when i see the negative vote next to my post. carry on comrade.

3They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 1:31 pm

PkrBum wrote:obama has increased the debt by 50% in less than 4 years... 5+ TRILLION.

come to terms with that. and before you blame bush... obama saved banks, wall st, corporations. i thght y'all were against that stuff? not if it's your guy? how'd ya like cash for clunkers? or bonuses for aig snuck into the stimulus? how about all that money given to cronys for those green energy scams? i'll know you have nothing when i see the negative vote next to my post. carry on comrade.

Until you come to terms with the fact that the three factors fueling the debt "crisis" are,;

#1 - the economic downturn engineered by Repuke policy and prolonged by Repuke intransigence

#2 - the unfunded wars

#3 - the Bush tax cuts

you have nothing to contribute to this conversation.

They Did Build That Cbpp_def11

See that skinny little blue line (I know it's hard to make it out). That's all the BS you're crying about.

And, I still haven't given you a negative vote, although you surely deserved one for that turd of a response.

View user profile

4They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 1:50 pm

4. solyndra

View user profile

5They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 2:05 pm

ghandi wrote:4. solyndra

Thank you, you beat me to it. Solyndra was exactly what I was thinking when I was reading Poker's response.

Regardless of who is to blame for the debt being 16 trillion plus, fact is Obama has done absolutely nothing in his almost 4 years to curtail it even though in his campaign he promised to cut the deficit by 50% in his first term.

The real question is what is he doing about it? Well from where I stand, I see him doing absolutely nothing.

6They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 2:12 pm

PkrBum wrote:obama has increased the debt by 50% in less than 4 years... 5+ TRILLION.

What comprises most of that debt? Tax cuts, wars, medicare prescription drug plans, reduced revenues from economic collapse? Obama's fault!

They Did Build That 800px-Cause_of_change_in_U.S._debt_position_2001-2011

7They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 2:18 pm

boards of FL wrote:

What comprises most of that debt? Tax cuts, wars, medicare prescription drug plans, reduced revenues from economic collapse? Obama's fault!

But like I said, time for playing the blame game is over, it is now time for action to stop this runaway train and that ain't coming from this current administration.

8They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 2:23 pm

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
ghandi wrote:4. solyndra

The real question is what is he doing about it? Well from where I stand, I see him doing absolutely nothing.

You see, that is the real problem with BHO, he has never even had a budget yet the Blame Bush crowd gives him a free pass and blames Repubs. It is BHOs fault now. He has FAILED to garner a consensus in the Congress and Senate (even when holding a majority in both) - a lesson he could learn from Bill Clinton - but BHO is too much the narcissist to admit he is in way over his head.

9They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 2:24 pm

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
it is now time for action to stop this runaway train and that ain't coming from this current administration.

You may want to rethink that one. Obama offered John Boehner a deal that consisted of $4 of spending cuts for every $1 of new revenue, and Boehner walked away.

View user profile

10They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 2:38 pm

salinsky wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
it is now time for action to stop this runaway train and that ain't coming from this current administration.

You may want to rethink that one. Obama offered John Boehner a deal that consisted of $4 of spending cuts for every $1 of new revenue, and Boehner walked away.

Got any more half truths? You think that $4 spending cuts would stop this train? Not in mine or your lifetime.

11They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 2:47 pm

salinsky wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

That's an overly simplified take on the whole mess. Both sides made some really stupid mistakes at times (some "guarantees" of future spending cuts from the Dems) and intransigence (mostly from the Repub side) finally killed a deal in the end. If BHO gets reannointed then whoever is the Repub leader (and I certainly hope it is not Bonehead Boehner) needs to dust of the proposals and find some common ground. At the end I believe they were "only" about $200B apart from what would have been a fairly common sense deal.

12They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 3:17 pm

Your "facts" are completely wrong. The bailout was in October 2008. Remember when McCain interrupted his campaign to join in the fray? Bonuses for AIG were part of the bailout, not the stimulus. And I agree that AIG should not have paid bonuses. That was a slap in the face to the taxpayers, but again, it was part of the Bush bailout. I can't speak to the Solyndra thing because I don't know enough about it, but I'll bet my bottom dollar that you just bought the whole spin because it's what you wanted to hear, and you really don't know anything either. Cash for clunkers was a direct effort to get the automobile industry off the skids, and it appears to have made a difference.

At least have an inkling about what you're discussing. Heil.

View user profile

13They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 3:23 pm

[quote="Floridatexan"]
PkrBum wrote: I can't speak to the Solyndra thing because I don't know enough about it, .

Now that's funny. You can point to any anti-Bush factoid in the known and unknown universe yet you couldn't possibly NOT KNOW about Solyndra or the many other green (as in lost taxpayer money) failures funded by BHO's administration. Unless of course you believe BHO gets a free pass on everything. Yes, of course that's it.

14They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 4:15 pm

Floridatexan wrote:

Your "facts" are completely wrong. The bailout was in October 2008. Remember when McCain interrupted his campaign to join in the fray? Bonuses for AIG were part of the bailout, not the stimulus. And I agree that AIG should not have paid bonuses. That was a slap in the face to the taxpayers, but again, it was part of the Bush bailout. I can't speak to the Solyndra thing because I don't know enough about it, but I'll bet my bottom dollar that you just bought the whole spin because it's what you wanted to hear, and you really don't know anything either. Cash for clunkers was a direct effort to get the automobile industry off the skids, and it appears to have made a difference.

wrong... look it up. dodd said he was pressured by turbo tax timmy (ya know... the sec of treasury) and the obama administration to insert the loop holes in the STIMULUS for aig bonuses... while your at it check out obama's feigned indignation before dodd came clean. how can you have ANY opinions when you can't even remember back a few years? not that it will matter even if you did look it up.

15They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 4:27 pm

boards of FL wrote:

beautiful projections... where are the other economic events? ya know... like the dot.com crash or 911 or bush's progressive perscription give away or the fed manipulating interest rates... holding up a projection with a few cherry picked events is lame. oh... and at a certain point a tax cut is simply the tax rate... especially after obama could have done almost anything he wanted for his first two years... like continuing the "cuts". it still amazes me he decided another entitlement was some kind of priority during a recession... that kinda assbackwards thinking takes a special kind of disconnect.

16They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 4:31 pm

PkrBum wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

wrong... look it up. dodd said he was pressured by turbo tax timmy (ya know... the sec of treasury) and the obama administration to insert the loop holes in the STIMULUS for aig bonuses... while your at it check out obama's feigned indignation before dodd came clean. how can you have ANY opinions when you can't even remember back a few years? not that it will matter even if you did look it up.

Show me.

View user profile

17They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 4:33 pm

PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

beautiful projections... where are the other economic events? ya know... like the dot.com crash or 911 or bush's progressive perscription give away or the fed manipulating interest rates... holding up a projection with a few cherry picked events is lame. oh... and at a certain point a tax cut is simply the tax rate... especially after obama could have done almost anything he wanted for his first two years... like continuing the "cuts". it still amazes me he decided another entitlement was some kind of priority during a recession... that kinda assbackwards thinking takes a special kind of disconnect.

You're still lying and you have yet to produce anything to back up your statements.

View user profile

18They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 4:40 pm

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Show me.

no... remain ignorant for all i care. how tough is it to type dodd stimulus aig bonus?

just admit it... it doesn't matter anyway to you.

19They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 5:03 pm

PkrBum wrote:beautiful projections... where are the other economic events? ya know... like the dot.com crash or 911 or bush's progressive perscription give away or the fed manipulating interest rates... holding up a projection with a few cherry picked events is lame. oh... and at a certain point a tax cut is simply the tax rate... especially after obama could have done almost anything he wanted for his first two years... like continuing the "cuts". it still amazes me he decided another entitlement was some kind of priority during a recession... that kinda assbackwards thinking takes a special kind of disconnect.

The projections were based on the federal budget surpluses that were happening perennially when the reins were handed over to republicans - the same surpluses that continued during the final Clinton budget of 2001 in spite of 9/11 and the recession.

We reverted back to deficits in 2002. Now, pkrbum, what changed during the first few years of the Bush era that would directly impact federal tax revenue, and therefore the federal budget?

20They Did Build That Empty Re: They Did Build That on 9/5/2012, 5:29 pm

the tax rates were cut (trying to manipulate a sluggish economy after dot.com) and expenses increased and revenues were down (dot.com/911) and interest rates were manipulated (federal reserve/bush) and debt (national/personal) increased (wars approved by congress/bush)... what did i miss in those few years. i don't want it to appear we were operating in a vacuum like projections can.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum