Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I have a bitch with tv weather people

+2
Hospital Bob
2seaoat
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

They are generally incompetent.   However, why can't we expect objective indicators of prediction performance.   If there is only a 10% chance of rain, they will put up a graphic which shows rain.  When it does not rain, they are covered because the graphic showed only partial chance of rain.   The folks planning to go to the beach, ballgame, or race stay home because they do not want to deal with the rain.   Faulty forecasting hurts local economies who have businesses which have customers exposed to the weather.

Why can we not develop a simple 10 point system concerning precipitation.  A 9 is 90% chance and a 1 is a 10% chance.  If this was standardized and each prediction was followed up with actual rainfall in the viewing area, each weather person or station could have an objective score which should be required to be posted below each broadcast.   Now if a family plans outdoor activities they can get a sense how accurate the weather performance has been and make their decision based on real probabilities.  The current weather system is killing our economy........oh and by the way......when I am three quarters of a mile from shelter cutting my grass because it was not suppose to rain, and lightning is striking all around me and I am soaked to the bone because I believed folks who clearly are not trained or schooled, I would like to see some changes.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I don't disagree. But you're leaving out the ignorance of the audience.
If there are that many people who are persuaded by fancy graphics and who don't know how easy it is to obtain the forecast percentages, then we're in a lot worse trouble than just weather forecasting.
Whoops I forgot. We already know the same fancy graphics can sell us hula hoops and beanie babies and vegomatics. So we are fucked. lol

knothead

knothead

Well because this is concerning [i]weather[i] it is a golden opportunity for me to get something out of my system.

I like Al Roker, I really do but I get so sick of waking up with Al if you know what I mean . . . . . what ever happened to Willard Scott as I like him much more in my living room giving the scoop about the ole daily weather. Its not like I watch the weather channel but like most people I will go there occasionally to check on . . . . the weather not to have to listen to ole Al trying hard to be upbeat and compatible with the lady on there.

Sick of waking up with Al but will get over it . . . . I'm done.

2seaoat

I used to watch the tonight show and wake up to the Today show. My wife hated Leno because she listened to Stern, so I began watching other evening programs and would wake up to morning Joe. NBC was always first with the tonight show and the today show......they have lost the morning position and I really do not know about the tonight show, but I like watching Jimmy Kimmel.

I wish they could determine how careless and general weather predictions hurt our economy, but this will not happen.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

knothead wrote:Well because this is concerning [i]weather[i] it is a golden opportunity for me to get something out of my system.

I like Al Roker, I really do but I get so sick of waking up with Al if you know what I mean . . . . . what ever happened to Willard Scott as I like him much more in my living room giving the scoop about the ole daily weather. Its not like I watch the weather channel but like most people I will go there occasionally to check on . . . . the weather not to have to listen to ole Al trying hard to be upbeat and compatible with the lady on there.

Here's how I look at it. I watch these tv "meterologists" like Roker for pure entertainment. He's actually not a bad talent if you see him as a tv hambone.
But for the same reason you wouldn't want to get your religion from Jim and Tammy, you don't want to get your weather from the al rokers. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This is a pretty good compromise. Yes it does make use of simple graphics BUT the percentages are in big bold fonts.
And hell most of the commercial tv "metereologists" get all their data from this anyway. So why bother with a middleman.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=30.44&lon=-87.19#.VADB7WOzlKo

p.s. I know I know. The government hating teabaggers are saying "you fucking communist you think the government can do it better than the beloved free market"

Well not usually. But this is one where it does. This beats the shit out of al roker and steve doocy forecasting weather.

2seaoat

Perfect link.....notice the next five days have scattered thunderstorms.....with graphics showing rain. How does a small business on the beach deal with a drop of fifty percent of their business because there might be a ten percent of rain for one hour over the next five days. Sloppy forecasts without standards are hurting America's economy. This is the equivalent to still using leeches in the middle ages as a medical procedure......we need better tools and reporting.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:They are generally incompetent.   However, why can't we expect objective indicators of prediction performance.   If there is only a 10% chance of rain, they will put up a graphic which shows rain.  When it does not rain, they are covered because the graphic showed only partial chance of rain.   The folks planning to go to the beach, ballgame, or race stay home because they do not want to deal with the rain.   Faulty forecasting hurts local economies who have businesses which have customers exposed to the weather.

Why can we not develop a simple 10 point system concerning precipitation.  A 9 is 90% chance and a 1 is a 10% chance.  If this was standardized and each prediction was followed up with actual rainfall in the viewing area, each weather person or station could have an objective score which should be required to be posted below each broadcast.   Now if a family plans outdoor activities they can get a sense how accurate the weather performance has been and make their decision based on real probabilities.  The current weather system is killing our economy........oh and by the way......when I am three quarters of a mile from shelter cutting my grass because it was not suppose to rain, and lightning is striking all around me and I am soaked to the bone because I believed folks who clearly are not trained or schooled, I would like to see some changes.

You have quite a sense of humor. Must have been bored today. But you still want to believe someone, somewhere can tell a .5 degree change in temperature, over years. Not only that but what CAUSED that change.
I have a bitch with tv weather people HystericallyLaughingmanandboy

Sal

Sal

Markle still can't distinguish local weather from global climate. 

Some things never change. 

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:Well because this is concerning [i]weather[i] it is a golden opportunity for me to get something out of my system.

Willard Scott is 80 years old.....and he just got married.

II like Bob Van Dillen on HLN......funny guy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum