Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Radio Embolization of a liver tumor

+7
othershoe1030
QueenOfHearts
dumpcare
knothead
ZVUGKTUBM
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

2seaoat

I have always shared health information in the hope that others can be aware and knowledgeable about alternative treatments. I got very bad news last Friday, and for seven hours today they began mapping my tumors and blocking certain arteries for my first asz kicking embolization at 8am next monday.

I arrived at 11:00 am and they prep you for surgery, but all they really are doing is going up an artery from your groin area to the liver. The shave you and put the IV in with a mild sedative because they need you to respond to their instructions during the procedures. They injected me with radioactive dye which they followed to see how it traveled through the five inch tumor on the anterior of my liver. There could have been arterial leads to the lung and the stomach which they do not want the very powerful radiation to go beyond the liver tumor. They found that the tumor fed into a stomach artery so they blocked the back in of the tumor today and tested to make sure there was no leakage.

The further bad news is that I will need three procedures. If I had a chance, probably one procedure would have given me a year to 15 months. My cousin's husband had two procedures and he had such a bad reaction to the first at Moffitt Cancer center, he almost did not do the second. Surprisingly his final procedure went very well for him, but he was dead 15 months to the day from the final procedure.

Now Northwestern is Number 1 in the world on radio embolization, and I have that and the fact that endocrine cancer has very vascular tumors. In my cousin's husband's situation you think of the arteries to the tumor as a door, and in the past they could only use that door once, and the vascular system shuts down and a second procedure at the time of his death was simply not available. What has made Northwestern my choice is that they have perfected modalities for delivery which does not damage the door, and they have successfully done three or four procedures on some patients. What this translates to is 15 months time three with high quality of life during the period the tumor load is small. Each patient is different and each tumor's vascular system and "doors" are different but if there is a chance to get extension beyond the 15 months, these folks are the ones to do it.

Just like I pisz everyone around here, I have managed to pisz off the doctor who will be doing this complex procedure because I complained on how they made me keep my arms above my head for twenty minutes while they were positioning my body to get the full liver shot......Having the lung removed through the left side under the arm rib area, the mere act of continuing to hold my hands over my head is very uncomfortable.......I suggested that they might have allowed me to rest for twenty minutes while they worked on that positioning........and I might have mentioned at least twice that it was a CF........Fortunately for me these Northwestern genius doctors probably do not know what CF stands for, and they apologized about not bringing my arms down.........but my luck the guy is going to put one of those beads that block an artery down little Seaoats home........and then snicker......yea I guess it is a CF. All is good in the adventure, and I look forward to next Monday. Family is taking me to a White Sox game Wed, and I get to see Abreu who may be the best ball player in twenty years.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:I have always shared health information in the hope that others can be aware and knowledgeable about alternative treatments.  I got very bad news last Friday, and for seven hours today they began mapping my tumors and blocking certain arteries for my first asz kicking embolization at 8am next monday.

I arrived at 11:00 am and they prep you for surgery, but all they really are doing is going up an artery from your groin area to the liver.  The shave you and put the IV in with a mild sedative because they need you to respond to their instructions during the procedures.   They injected me with radioactive dye which they followed to see how it traveled through the five inch tumor on the anterior of my liver.  There could have been arterial leads to the lung and the stomach which they do not want the very powerful radiation to go beyond the liver tumor.   They found that the tumor fed into a stomach artery so they blocked the back in of the tumor today and tested to make sure there was no leakage.

The further bad news is that I will need three procedures.  If I had a chance, probably one procedure would have given me a year to 15 months.  My cousin's husband had two procedures and he had such a bad reaction to the first at Moffitt Cancer center, he almost did not do the second.  Surprisingly his final procedure went very well for him, but he was dead 15 months to the day from the final procedure.

Now Northwestern is Number 1 in the world on radio embolization, and I have that and the fact that endocrine cancer has very vascular tumors.  In my cousin's husband's situation you think of the arteries to the tumor as a door, and in the past they could only use that door once, and the vascular system shuts down and a second procedure at the time of his death was simply not available.  What has made Northwestern my choice is that they have perfected modalities for delivery which does not damage the door, and they have successfully done three or four procedures on some patients.  What this translates to is 15 months time three with high quality of life during the period the tumor load is small.  Each patient is different and each tumor's vascular system and "doors" are different but if there is a chance to get extension beyond the 15 months, these folks are the ones to do it.

Just like I pisz everyone around here,  I have managed to pisz off the doctor who will be doing this complex procedure because I complained on how they made me keep my arms above my head for twenty minutes while they were positioning my body to get the full liver shot......Having the lung removed through the left side under the arm rib area, the mere act of continuing to hold my hands over my head is very uncomfortable.......I suggested that they might have allowed me to rest for twenty minutes while they worked on that positioning........and I might have mentioned at least twice that it was a CF........Fortunately for me these Northwestern genius doctors probably do not know what CF stands for, and they apologized about not bringing my arms down.........but my luck the guy is going to put one of those beads that block an artery down little Seaoats home........and then snicker......yea I guess it is a CF.   All is good in the adventure, and I look forward to next Monday.   Family is taking me to a White Sox game Wed, and I get to see Abreu who may be the best ball player in twenty years.

Suck it up and quit bitching at the surgeon. 15 months x 3 is worth 20 mins of discomfort. Of course we both know the prolonged holding will not happen again....because normally cluster fucks are not repeated.

2seaoat

As long as little seaoat still works and he has not beaded me up......I will be a happy camper, however staff had a brain fart, and the doctor admitted the same. They should have allowed me to rest my arms......I have always spoke my mind and I will not stop doing the same just because this guy has my life in his hands.......but if little seaoat quits working.....you think I am nasty now......damn......of course he may try to bead my mouth shut......something which has kinda been suggested around here.

Damn straight you say anything you please imo. They work for you... but you prolly knew I'd say that.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Dang, Seaoat.... 3 X 15 months will take you through the 2016 election, and maybe close to the 2018 midterms. You are going to have some real fans around here--well, your political opponents won't be so happy......  Razz 

We'll keep praying for you, man!

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

knothead

knothead

Thanks for the update on your current status Mr. Oats . . . I join all the others in wishing you get the 15 X 3 extension . . . that would be awesome.

Hang in there you old fart . . .

dumpcare

You're too damn obstinate to go anywhere. Good luck.

2seaoat

Procedure completed and we will see how the next two weeks go. After my cousin described her husband's ordeal, I thought the worse. I am shocked at how seamless the Northwestern Team has been and after two weeks and eight hours under machines, I actually feel much better than I suspected. I cannot drive, but my wife will drive me to my appointments Wed, and I will crash the rest of the week. I cannot be near children or pregnant women for three days, and could only wave at the grandkids this evening from the car. Pretty amazing stuff......I will keep you informed regarding the journey and options they will outline, but I have not had to take a pain pill, and the nausea is not that bad. We live in an amazing era where the medical technology and solutions are mind boggling.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Procedure completed and we will see how the next two weeks go.   After my cousin described her husband's ordeal, I thought the worse.   I am shocked at how seamless the Northwestern Team has been and after two weeks and eight hours under machines, I actually feel much better than I suspected.  I cannot drive, but my wife will drive me to my appointments Wed, and I will crash the rest of the week.  I cannot be near children or pregnant women for three days, and could only wave at the grandkids this evening from the car.  Pretty amazing stuff......I will keep you informed regarding the journey and options they will outline, but I have not had to take a pain pill, and the nausea is not that bad.  We live in an amazing era where the medical technology and solutions are mind boggling.

If you hurt or you are nauseated....take the medicine. It's hard to play catch up if it gets too bad.

Glad you are doing well.....prayers and good thoughts are for you.

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Why can't you be around kids or pregnant women?

I am glad it went better than you thought it would.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

This is all terrific news; I am so happy to hear this! Hang in there!

Sal

Sal

QueenOfHearts wrote:Why can't you be around kids or pregnant women?

Because he's ....

Radio Embolization of a liver tumor R-Man%20Dust%20Jacket

Glad it went well, Mr. Oats.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Now you will get to see LeBron own Chicago year after year while bringing multiple championships to Cleveland.

2seaoat

Now you will get to see LeBron own Chicago year after year while bringing multiple championships to Cleveland.

Chicago will dominate Cleveland. This Bull team is the best since 1998 and Love is good, but they will not match up with Chciago's front line of Gibson, Noah, Pau. The MVP point guard is back, and the best shooter in the league is on the Bulls with Mcbuckets. The Bulls will keep teams in the 80 point range and Thibs is licking his lips with the talent he has this year, and Butler will continue to grow as a defensive player who dominated James..

Cleveland is going to be good, but I think they made a huge mistake trading for Love......he has never made the playoffs and there is a great deal of wishful thinking.

Tough day today having my wife drive me to appointments.......the docs would not be happy, but I should be able to rest until Monday.

2seaoat

Very bad news on Thursday's tests and scans. My consult with the surgeon is the worse possible result. All tumors are growing and there was no reduction in the size of the five inch plus main tumor after two procedures. Sadly, for the first time in three years my liver functions are falling. The clock now begins to tick. I have been blessed that the sandostatin shots slowed everything down for two and a half years. I wanted to post yesterday, but I figured this is pretty depressing news, but I began this journey sharing the process and I certainly will end the journey with the same mission.

They go in one more time at the end of September or the first week in October and attack the balance of tumors on the other sphere of the liver. I made the request for medical pot, but the surgeon said I would have to ask my oncologist for the same. I would be eligible in January, but there is a real resistance by doctors who I know to prescribe the same. They are worried about abuse.

It now becomes difficult because no matter how upbeat I remain, I can see the looks on my wife and children's face. They fully understand what the dropping liver functions mean and inability to stop the tumor growth. I am having more difficulty with energy levels and walking. I still try to walk stairs when I can, but I am so slow that people become impatient and pass.
The doctors have not given me the get your affairs in order consult which allows me some optimism that I can bump along with pretty good quality of life. At this point, I have very little concern for quantity of life, and hope for simple quality of life. It has been a great adventure, and it continues.

I'm sorry to hear the bad news. I wish there was something we could do... I guess giving you guff is about it.

It's simple enough to find drs that prescribe here in michigan... but they are not usually a persons regular dr. I haven't done it because the feds and state are still busting caregivers, wanting patient lists and even some petty possession charges. It's tough to roll back authority.

17Radio Embolization of a liver tumor Empty Bum news 9/20/2014, 1:30 am

RealLindaL

Seaoat, you know I haven't posted in some time but I continue to check back in here from time, if only to see how you're doing, and I'm always delighted to find you still kicking around the forum, still generously sharing your journey with others.   I'm glad you're able to find a certain joy and adventure in life even with the more than crummy hand you've been dealt in recent years, and even in the face of this latest setback.  How many times has your curmudgeonly self been told you're an inspiration?   Well, I'm telling you now, and don't you dare argue with me on that point.  

I know you'll hang in there and do the best you can for yourself and your family, and I join others in only wishing I could help somehow along the way.    

Since (thank goodness) the docs aren't giving you the "get your affairs in order" lecture, I'm not about to give you the "it's been a treat to know you on the forums" talk.   But you and I go back a long way and I just want you to know I care.   Please be as good to yourself as you possibly can, and to heck with anyone who thinks you're too slow going up the stairs.  I would say a whole lot worse about 'em, but don't know how much foul language Boards tolerates these days.

Vikingwoman

Seaoat,you do not piss me off. You have irritated me at times but you are always someone to learn from and are right many more times than you are wrong. I also consider you a friend and am interested in your progress and journey so don't stop telling us about it. As for pissing off the Dr., I am always one to say who cares? He's not paying you.You're paying him so keep on complaining when you're uncomfortable. Tell him try being in your shoes. I'm not well versed in these procedures but I've wondered if a liver transplant would prolong your life? I'm sure it would eventually come back but I've wondered if they treated the tumors when it was in the early stages of a new liver if it would buy you a lot of time? My God, they're giving drug addicts new livers only for them to go out and ruin the new one. Just a thought.

2seaoat

I appreciate the kind words, but my options are now quite limited. Steve Jobs who has exactly what I have disregarded the Doctors advice and when he had metastasis on his liver he insisted on getting a liver transplant against most of the medical advice which found low efficacy in the same. He was dead within two years of the transplant because of the systemic nature of the endocrine cancer. I am now approaching three years on the shots and now the radio embolization since metastasis set in on the liver. I am certain that I will never see 2016, but plan to make 2015 as good of a year as I can.

You must understand that keeping it real has been good therapy and my cousin's husband who died from endocrine cancer just kind of wasted away, and probably could have lasted longer with a little mental agitation. I have cut back my work, I play poker, my wife and I are enjoying our grandkids and I have never been happier. So no pity party, but I share all the news and unfortunately the looks on the doctor and nurses faces have told the whole story, but I find none of this sad, other than pain for my family who will learn that death is just one more stop on the journey. Life is an adventure each and every day.

Robert I Adult National VX12-970-001 Open

Adapted from the National Cancer Institute's Physician Data Query (PDQ®) Cancer Clinical Trials (http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials)

Title

An Open-Label, First-in-Human Study of the Safety, Tolerability, and Pharmacokinetics of VX-970 in Combination With Cytotoxic Chemotherapy

Summary

An Open-Label, First-in-Human Study of the Safety, Tolerability, and Pharmacokinetics (PK) of VX-970 in Combination With Cytotoxic Chemotherapy in Subjects With Advanced Solid Tumors

To view the NCI PDQ information for this trial, click here

To view the clinicaltrials.gov information for this trial, click here

Eligibility

Inclusion Criteria:

Disease status
•Parts A and B: Histologically confirmed advanced solid tumor that is metastatic or unresectable and for which standard curative or palliative measures do not exist or are no longer effective, or for whom regimens containing gemcitabine, cisplatin, and/or etoposide might be considered, and with measurable disease according to RECIST criteria
•Part C1:
•Advanced (Stage IIIB or IV, not eligible for resection or definitive radiotherapy), histologically confirmed squamous non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and who have not previously received chemotherapy for metastatic disease.
•Either has lesion amenable to biopsy before Day 1 or available archived tumor sample
•Measurable disease according to RECIST criteria
•Part C2:
•Advanced (locally-advanced incurable or metastatic) histologically confirmed estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor, and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) negative breast cancer.
•Received a prior taxane-based regimen and no more than 1 additional regimen in the metastatic setting
•Either has lesion amenable to biopsy before Day 1 or available archived tumor sample d. Measurable disease according to RECIST criteria
•Part C3:
•Histologically confirmed SCLC that has relapsed from, or was refractory to, prior chemotherapy. Refractory disease is defined as relapse within 90 days of completing chemotherapy, or lack of tumor response while on therapy.
•Either has lesion amenable to biopsy before Day 1 or available archived tumor sample
•Measurable disease according to RECIST criteria
•Hematological and biochemical indices within protocol specified ranges at screening.

Exclusion Criteria:
•Radiotherapy (except for palliative reasons) endocrine therapy, immunotherapy, or chemotherapy during the previous 4 weeks
•Parts A and B:
•Greater than 6 cycles of prior treatment with cisplatin and/or carboplatin.

(a) History of prior dose reductions or dose interruptions while receiving cisplatin or carboplatin due to toxicity from the platinum or intolerance to either agent.
•More than 2 prior distinct chemotherapy regimens used for treatment of advanced stage disease containing DNA damaging agents:
•Subjects with a history of Grade 3 or 4 thrombocytopenia or Grade 4 neutropenia while receiving prior therapy with cisplatin, carboplatin, or any of the DNA damaging agents listed above.
•Part C1:
•prior platinum therapy for squamous NSCLC
•Received prior treatment for metastatic NSCLC
•Part C2:
•More than 2 prior chemotherapy regimens for the treatment of metastatic breast cancer
•Any prior platinum therapy for breast cancer in any setting
•Part C3:
•In relapsed SCLC, more than 2 prior chemotherapy regimens or, in refractory SCLC, more than 1 prior chemotherapy regimen
•Has not received at least 1 cycle of platinum based chemotherapy for SCLC
•Unresolved toxicity of Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE) Grade 2 or greater from previous anti-cancer therapy or radiotherapy
•History of brain or leptomeningeal metastases
•Female subjects who are already pregnant or lactating, or plan to become pregnant within 6 months of the last dose of study drug are excluded. Female subjects of childbearing potential must adhere to contraception guidelines
•Male subjects with partners of child-bearing potential must agree to adhere to contraception guidelines. Men with pregnant or lactating partners or partners who plan to become pregnant during the study or within 6 months of the last dose of study drug are excluded
•Major surgery ≤2 weeks before starting study drug, or incomplete recovery from a prior major surgical procedure
•Serious cardiac or other co-morbid disease, as specified in the protocol
•Prior bone marrow transplant or extensive radiotherapy to greater than 15% of bone marrow
•Part C:
•Current malignancies of other types, with the exception of adequately treated cone-biopsied in situ carcinoma of the cervix uteri and basal or squamous cell carcinoma of the skin

Applicable Disease Sites
Bone and Joints
Breast
Endocrine
Gastrointestinal
Genitourinary
Gynecologic
Head and Neck
Kaposi's Sarcoma
Lung
Melanoma and Other Skin
Other
Soft Tissue
Unknown
Participating Institutions
James Cancer Hospital
Martha Morehouse
OSU Cancer Center
OSU Gyn Oncology at Mill Run
OSU Medical Center
Stefanie Spielman Comprehensive Breast Center
Contact

Clinical Res Specialist Laura Reebel
Phone:614-685-3263
Email:Laura.Burton@osumc.edu
http://cancer.osu.edu/patientsandvisitors/cancerinfo/clinical_trials/Pages/trials.aspx

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT02157792

dumpcare

While we have followed you during this journey, yes you have pissed me off, but I got over it. I think in your own way your thought's you have posted have meant to piss people off as I have also sometimes. I hope you have one hell of a qualify of life these next few month's or year's. I have never understood why a doctor is scared of one becoming a drug abuser when basically there is nothing more they can do. I would take pkr's advice and trot over to Michigan. It is easy to get there so I am told. I don't advise you buy on the streets unless you have friends you can really trust.

Have a good day watching football and remember FSU stands for:

Free
Seafood
University

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Very bad news on Thursday's tests and scans.   My consult with the surgeon is the worse possible result.  All tumors are growing and there was no reduction in the size of the five inch plus main tumor after two procedures.   Sadly, for the first time in three years my liver functions are falling.  The clock now begins to tick.  I have been blessed that the sandostatin shots slowed everything down for two and a half years.  I wanted to post yesterday, but I figured this is pretty depressing news, but I began this journey sharing the process and I certainly will end the journey with the same mission.

They go in one more time at the end of September or the first week in October and attack the balance of tumors on the other sphere of the liver.  I made the request for medical pot, but the surgeon said I would have to ask my oncologist for the same.  I would be eligible in January, but there is a real resistance by doctors who I know to prescribe the same.   They are worried about abuse.

It now becomes difficult because no matter how upbeat I remain, I can see the looks on my wife and children's face.  They fully understand what the dropping liver functions mean and inability to stop the tumor growth.  I am having more difficulty with energy levels and walking.  I still try to walk stairs when I can, but I am so slow that people become impatient and pass.
The doctors have not given me the get your affairs in order consult which allows me some optimism that I can bump along with pretty good quality of life.   At this point, I have very little concern for quantity of life, and hope for simple quality of life.  It has been a great adventure, and it continues.

Really! And you accepted that hogwash. Shame on you....call him and tell him you want it now.

I don't need to get all touchy feely....you already know I care deeply for you and your assinine sports predictions.

Just a quote in a piece I'm reading about ancient rome:

" In short, enjoy the blessing of strength while you have it and do not bewail it when it is gone, unless, forsooth, you believe that youth must lament the loss of infancy, or early manhood the passing of youth. Life's race-course is fixed; Nature has only a single path and that path is run but once, and to each stage of existence has been allotted its own appropriate quality; so that the weakness of childhood, the impetuosity of youth, the seriousness of middle life, the maturity of old age—each bears some of Nature's fruit, which must be garnered in its own season."

by ZVUGKTUBM on 8/4/2014, 11:14 pm
Dang, Seaoat.... 3 X 15 months will take you through the 2016 election, and maybe close to the 2018 midterms. You are going to have some real fans around here--well, your political opponents won't be so happy......

We'll keep praying for you, man!
----
Yep
Will
Pray
For you

I also have a quote

live as a bastard, die as one

Chrissy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next