This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Playing poker with Jimmy Piersall

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Playing poker with Jimmy Piersall on 7/19/2014, 9:09 am

He is 84 years old and is now in a wheel chair suffering from Parkinson. He is always good for some story, but he plays too conservative of a poker game to be much of a threat. His son in law is ever present and takes Jimmy where ever he needs to go. Throughout all his trials and tribulations fighting his bipolar and having a movie starring Anthony Perkins.....he still knows baseball and can tell quite the story. Life is good for him as he still competes at the poker table and can still tell a funny story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Piersall

View user profile

2 Re: Playing poker with Jimmy Piersall on 4/15/2017, 10:23 am

2seaoat wrote:He is 84 years old and is now in a wheel chair suffering from Parkinson.  He is always good for some story, but he plays too conservative of a poker game to be much of a threat.  His son in law is ever present and takes Jimmy where ever he needs to go.  Throughout all his trials and tribulations fighting his bipolar and having a movie starring Anthony Perkins.....he still knows baseball and can tell quite the story.  Life is good for him as he still competes at the poker table and can still tell a funny story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Piersall

Thanks for posting this Seaoat. Brings back memories from 1966 when he was playing for the California Angels at the old Stadium. Running like a mad man from center to left field shouting I GOT IT! and catching fly balls behind his back, during warmups. You could tell he was having more fun than anyone else on the field. Perkins did a good job but I thought he looked more like Clint Eastwood.

View user profile
I have not played poker with him in over two years.  I am not longer comfortable at a poker table.  He was fun to play poker with.....a person who could tell stories and make the game so much more than a poker game.  10 strangers sharing stories and laughing.  All different cultures and backgrounds.  It was incredible fun for me, but sadly those days are mostly behind me.  I did find out that because I did not use my Norco pain pills very often, the ones I do have expired in 2014 and have lost their potency.  This may explain a great deal of why I was not getting pain relief.   I thank forum members for suggesting prune juice because my doctor has refilled the pain pills, and I think I may get some relief, and now have a natural method to fight the constipation.  I cherish all the characters I have met in this life journey, and I have found that many celebrity stars are really good people.

I spent an afternoon playing poker with Bob Love Las Vegas.  He was there for a speech.  What a wonderful man who overcome his stuttering and now gives inspirational speeches on how we can overcome our disabilities and challenges.  He was a great basketball player who I followed as a kid, but he was a greater man who helped kids and others who stuttered.  I remember all the PNJ articles about the evil people who would fill the Greyhound track poker room, but I have found retired military and some of the smartest poker players in the country.  I will miss all of that but what an enhancement to my life to have shared time with such wonderful people.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum