Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Playing poker with Jimmy Piersall

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

He is 84 years old and is now in a wheel chair suffering from Parkinson. He is always good for some story, but he plays too conservative of a poker game to be much of a threat. His son in law is ever present and takes Jimmy where ever he needs to go. Throughout all his trials and tribulations fighting his bipolar and having a movie starring Anthony Perkins.....he still knows baseball and can tell quite the story. Life is good for him as he still competes at the poker table and can still tell a funny story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Piersall

Telstar

Telstar

2seaoat wrote:He is 84 years old and is now in a wheel chair suffering from Parkinson.  He is always good for some story, but he plays too conservative of a poker game to be much of a threat.  His son in law is ever present and takes Jimmy where ever he needs to go.  Throughout all his trials and tribulations fighting his bipolar and having a movie starring Anthony Perkins.....he still knows baseball and can tell quite the story.  Life is good for him as he still competes at the poker table and can still tell a funny story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Piersall

Thanks for posting this Seaoat. Brings back memories from 1966 when he was playing for the California Angels at the old Stadium. Running like a mad man from center to left field shouting I GOT IT! and catching fly balls behind his back, during warmups. You could tell he was having more fun than anyone else on the field. Perkins did a good job but I thought he looked more like Clint Eastwood.

2seaoat

I have not played poker with him in over two years.  I am not longer comfortable at a poker table.  He was fun to play poker with.....a person who could tell stories and make the game so much more than a poker game.  10 strangers sharing stories and laughing.  All different cultures and backgrounds.  It was incredible fun for me, but sadly those days are mostly behind me.  I did find out that because I did not use my Norco pain pills very often, the ones I do have expired in 2014 and have lost their potency.  This may explain a great deal of why I was not getting pain relief.   I thank forum members for suggesting prune juice because my doctor has refilled the pain pills, and I think I may get some relief, and now have a natural method to fight the constipation.  I cherish all the characters I have met in this life journey, and I have found that many celebrity stars are really good people.

I spent an afternoon playing poker with Bob Love Las Vegas.  He was there for a speech.  What a wonderful man who overcome his stuttering and now gives inspirational speeches on how we can overcome our disabilities and challenges.  He was a great basketball player who I followed as a kid, but he was a greater man who helped kids and others who stuttered.  I remember all the PNJ articles about the evil people who would fill the Greyhound track poker room, but I have found retired military and some of the smartest poker players in the country.  I will miss all of that but what an enhancement to my life to have shared time with such wonderful people.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum