Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Aircraft Buff's Thread

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Aircraft Buff's Thread Empty Aircraft Buff's Thread 7/14/2014, 3:30 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

This a great video of the 2013 air races in Reno, NV. It has some cockpit shots from the winning aircraft; a souped up P-51 Mustang fighter plane with the name "Voodoo" painted on it.

The video shows the pilot working arse off trying to keep the aircraft under control as it averaged around 482 mph (419 knots for you real pilots), at about 500 feet AGL around the course. At one point, the pilot just firewalls the throttle to full engine RPM and uses both hands to fly the control stick. When he finally lands, he is congratulated by his ground crew and he asks them for a 'F___ing beer.' They pass him an ice-cold Budweiser.

That kind of flying would make my hair stand up on my head. It's crazy-dangerous to fly an aircraft like that.....

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2Aircraft Buff's Thread Empty Re: Aircraft Buff's Thread 7/14/2014, 4:34 pm

2seaoat

Thanks for posting. The P51 is an amazing aircraft. My first boss with Borg Warner Corporation flew them over Italy in WW2 and they are credited with taking down almost 5k enemy aircraft. My boss did not talk about his experiences and got real involved in the Catholic Church after the war and he and his wife did a great deal of community work. I had heard he had shot down many planes, and he was a devout Christian. He lived a long life and I probably told this story a couple of times in the PNJ, but after he retired he was reading reader's digest which had an article on the Hudson River school of realist painters, and he looked up at a painting his aunt had given him forty years before and had been on his mantle of his house for at least 25 years, and two burglaries........well he took pictures and sent them to one of the big auction houses, and eventually shipped it to them, and they confirmed he had a painting probably worth over a 150k. It sold and he got a check for a little over 100k......it could not have happened to a better man, but he carried a great deal of guilt from what he did in a P51.

3Aircraft Buff's Thread Empty Re: Aircraft Buff's Thread 7/14/2014, 5:41 pm

knothead

knothead

Thanks for posting Z . . . . that looks exhausting both mentally and physically!!

4Aircraft Buff's Thread Empty Re: Aircraft Buff's Thread 7/14/2014, 6:26 pm

Sal

Sal

5Aircraft Buff's Thread Empty Re: Aircraft Buff's Thread 7/14/2014, 7:00 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Sal wrote:

That video was most definitely CG manipulated......  Razz 

The F-35 is the latest gold-plated wonder to come out of the U.S. MIC. Many folks in the defense community are saying it is a piece of junk, while many nations are clamoring to buy some. It makes me think that there might be some disinformation being handed out for the consumption of potential adversaries.

It was supposed to fly to the Farnborough Air Show in the UK this past week, but the fleet is sidelined by engine problems. The British are buying the F-35B for their brand new aircraft carrier, the Queen Elizabeth, which was built without catapults or arresting gear, so the only jet it can fly is the STOVL F-35B.

6Aircraft Buff's Thread Empty Re: Aircraft Buff's Thread 7/15/2014, 9:16 am

gatorfan

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Sal wrote:

The F-35 is the latest gold-plated wonder to come out of the U.S. MIC.

The cost has doubled already and is years behind schedule. There are now so many compromises with the airframe it probably is not going to achieve even initial program goals in spite of bushels of taxpayer money being thrown at it. What a waste.

7Aircraft Buff's Thread Empty Re: Aircraft Buff's Thread 7/15/2014, 10:35 am

Sal

Sal

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
That video was most definitely CG manipulated......  Razz 

Not just CG manipulated, but a capture from a video game.

Amazing how realistic looking those things are now.

Just thought I'd throw it up here to see how long it took you aviation geeks to catch it.

Not long.

lol

8Aircraft Buff's Thread Empty Re: Aircraft Buff's Thread 7/15/2014, 5:51 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Okay, I had to go back and watch that video again. And I will probably watch it some more. I can't help myself. The aviation gene was passed along to me from my grandfather, who I am named after. I never knew him, because he died of a heart attack in 1937, when my Dad was 9 years old. He was a dentist in real life, but he got his pilot's license on the sly in the months before he died, without telling my grand mother he was taking lessons. In 1991, my Dad gave me his father's pilot's license, and I was astounded by the signature on the back, which is 99% exactly like my signature (or, I should say, mine is like his...). I wish I had been able to meet the man.

The pilot of that P-51 Mustang, Voodoo, was Steve Hinton, Jr.; just 27 years old. He is the son of another former Reno air racer, who won big in 70s-80s, the so he has been around airplanes since he was a child, and started flying at age 15. He has been racing at Reno since 2008 and has won all of the races since then. They fly just 8 laps around the course, but their highly modified planes are built for speed, and can top 500 mph (statute mph--about 435 knots)--and they fly at just 50 feet above ground level (AGL). That is hair-raising, to say the least.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum