Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How are Your Gardens Doing?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/14/2014, 7:03 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I must give credit to my wife here; she planned our garden and put most of the effort into it; painstakingly reading stuff on the Internet and watching YouTube videos to see what might work best for us.

We have nothing planted directly in the ground. Instead, everything is in some type of container. Most of the containers are simply $.50 reusable Walmart grocery bags filled with soil mixture, with these placed in plastic wading pools with a layer of gravel on the bottom. The pools have drain holes for weepage.

We have several different kinds of tomatoes planted, and have been enjoying those, along with cucumbers, zuchinni, and a few scalloped-edged squash. We have picked egg-plant, different peppers, lettuce and herbs, and a few strawberries. We should be able to pick some corn in about a week.

The Walmart bag technique really worked for us. Even our corn is planted in these. We only have a few stalks (about a dozen), but I am keeping my fingers crossed about the ears getting enough pollination to develop.

I had to laugh at my wife earlier today. She picked what she thought was a mild banana pepper and bit into it, only to find that it was an unripe Cowhorn cayenne variety. It lit her face up pretty good.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/14/2014, 7:40 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

My garden consists of container plants.

3How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/15/2014, 10:16 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I have gotten into container gardening this year, too! I've been growing lots of herbs from seed in the greenhouse and then transplanting them into large containers.

We aren't doing veggies this year, but we have harvested huge, sweet blackberries from the bushes I planted three years ago. Also, our one blueberry bush is bearing like crazy this year! And our fig tree.....I planted it as a baby three years ago. This year, it is about five feet tall and has at least 33 figs on it (yes, I counted!)

I'm having trouble with zinnias. I don't understand it, because zinnias are usually so easy to grow. I think I've worn out the soil in my front yard - I really need to add a lot of homegrown mulch to the soil next year if I am going to continue planting annuals.

My perennials are doing well, as usual. I have an orange trumpet vine that I grew from seeds I poached from the vine in front of East Hill Post Office five years ago.  Twisted Evil This is the first year it has bloomed in abundance - I am so excited! Last year it had only two blooms on it. I was bummed when I found out trumpet vines are considered a pest plant in Florida.  Crying or Very sad I don't care - I'm keeping it!

The autumn clematis is healthy and spreading! I thought I had lost my red passion flower plant to the ice storm, but no. Instead, it is growing back twice as large, at least. I am trying to contain it to a seven foot tall metal lattice my husband welded for me, but this vine is already trying to take over the garden. It has the most gorgeous blooms in late summer and fall, but this vine has a mind of its own, for certain. Also, I have new little red passion flower vines scattered all over my front garden. My main vine must have fruited last year, which is always good news.

I didn't put in any gloriosa daisies in my front garden this year. I still haven't gotten over the theft and destruction of my garden three years ago - that morning I came home from work to find my gloriosas and hydrangeas neatly cut at the stem and several of my plants uprooted and stolen. My prize plants live in my back yard now.  Very Happy It's a damned shame, because so many people in our neighborhood enjoyed my front garden. Ah, well. I hope they like the vines.

4How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/15/2014, 10:24 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I forgot to mention the lantana.  Very Happy Ha! This is an ongoing "issue" between my husband and me. He can't abide the lantana, but butterflies love it, so it's all staying. I planted most of it about nine or ten years ago, and now it gets HUGE!

My husband helped me in the garden this spring. I witnessed him cutting some lantana down to the ground. He cut it as far down as he could, hoping the plants wouldn't return. I laughed to myself, 'cause I knew he was pruning the plants just the way they should be pruned for best future growth.

Anybody know where I can find some milkweed? I usually have some pop up in the front, but there is none this year. The monarch caterpillars use it as a food source.

And Z - I am intrigued by your description of your wife's container garden. I think I will give that a try next year, or possibly this fall. We have had such problems trying to grow veggies in our soil, even if we amend it. That's why we didn't even try this year.

Last edited by PBulldog2 on 6/15/2014, 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

5How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/15/2014, 10:31 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I'm with your husband on the lantana.....the multicolor variety, years ago, was considered an invasive weed.  The yellow and purple are smaller and easier to maintain....

6How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/15/2014, 10:40 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Joanimaroni wrote:I'm with your husband on the lantana.....the multicolor variety, years ago, was considered an invasive weed.  The yellow and purple are smaller and easier to maintain....

Hahahaaa! I know. I do have some small yellow lantana, but no purple. Instead, I have those huge, happy orange, red and/or pink plants. I bought them as sprouts at Walmart years ago, before I knew they were considered invasive. I planted them out front after I dug up the grass.

My husband is convinced the lantana pushes out all the other plants. He is still upset, ten years later, that the lantana apparently caused the demise of my banana plants.  Laughing 

You are both right. It is invasive, and it is considered a weed by many. However, you can't beat it for attracting butterflies, birds and bees, so that's why I keep it. You should see the influx of butterflies we get in late September and October! It is a phenomenal show, and now it happens every year. it is astounding to see all those butterflies in our yard, while there are no butterflies in any other yards close by.

Good thing I don't have to abide by homeowner's association rules, eh?

7How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/15/2014, 10:54 am

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

PB, your garden sounds lovely! I lost all my milkweed this past winter. I ordered some online this past spring. I have never seen red passion flowers. I have the purple plant. I love lantanas too!

Z: Thanks for sharing the information about planting in those reusable bags. I am going to try that; we have not had much luck with our soil, no matter what we do.

8How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/15/2014, 11:23 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I will see if I can post some photos later of the Walmart bags. She found these ideas by watching YouTube videos. Some of the bags are placed in wading pools, others are on some $8.00 plastic hotwater heater drain-pans we found at Home Depot. We used bagged soil from Home Depot to fill the Walmart bags. The plants are watered from the bottom-up, with no spraying them from above.

9How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/15/2014, 4:01 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Z, if your wife does the Facebook thing, she can join the Container Gardening Alliance group. I have learned a lot from that group.

Thanks, Queen, for the compliment. I think my garden is lovely, but I'm sure there are some who consider it pretty wild (which is just how I want it to be!) We are thrilled with the number of songbirds living in our yard this year.....and the frogs, lizards, dragonflies and so on.

I will try to find a picture of my red passion flower vine. I know I have one hidden away somewhere.

10How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/15/2014, 4:22 pm

will be getting mine planted this week. A little late for me, but all good in the end Smile

11How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/15/2014, 9:45 pm

cool1

cool1

I have 3 tomato plants that are still growing as of today-- Shocked 

12How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/15/2014, 11:04 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

How are Your Gardens Doing? 310

How are Your Gardens Doing? 110

How are Your Gardens Doing? 810

13How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/15/2014, 11:05 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

How are Your Gardens Doing? 610

How are Your Gardens Doing? 910

14How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/15/2014, 11:08 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Very nice Z- man and z- mam.

15How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/16/2014, 9:13 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

OK, Z, you and your wife have convinced me. I have got to try this. Our tomatoes never looked so good!

Great work, Mrs. Z!

16How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/16/2014, 9:09 pm

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Those are good looking plants, Z! Do you keep water in the wading pool all the time?

17How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/17/2014, 10:42 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Dinner tonight included:

How are Your Gardens Doing? 1010

How are Your Gardens Doing? 1110

Our daughter didn't come home after work, so the wife and I polished all 6 ears off between the two of us, along with a big sliced-up heirloom tomato and a sliced-up cucumber; all from the garden. I have never had success trying to grow corn before, but the way she did it seemed to work, and it was very tasty.

18How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/17/2014, 10:45 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Looks great.

19How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/17/2014, 10:46 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

QueenOfHearts wrote:Those are good looking plants, Z!  Do you keep water in the wading pool all the time?

Thanks, Queen. The wading pools have drain holes in them and the bags sit on a layer of gravel. I don't think they are continually immersed though. I know when she waters them, she waters them from the bottom up, but the water can drain off.

20How are Your Gardens Doing? Empty Re: How are Your Gardens Doing? 6/17/2014, 10:46 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Joanimaroni wrote:Looks great.

Thanks!  Very Happy 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum