Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Philomena

+3
Sal
Markle
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 4/22/2014, 1:17 am

Markle wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Markle wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Bob wrote:The catholic church and nuns stole babies from young mothers and sold them.
It wasn't LBJ or Obama or the democrat party or progressives that did it markel.  Do you have to beat on that drum in every thread.

LOL,Bob! That made me laugh. Thanks!

Come on Dreamsglore, are you trying to avoid the question you raised?  Why?

Here, let me post it again for your convenience.

What is the primary difference between a child being raised below the poverty level and children being raised ABOVE the poverty level?

The poverty level child doesn't have a laptop.

Here we see Sal and Dreamglore vividly demonstrating that they have no clue why so many more children are living below the poverty level than decades ago.

Come on Progressives, keep POSTING YOUR IGNORANCE!  It is so much fun!

I'll help...again!

What is the primary difference between a child being raised below the poverty level and children being raised ABOVE the poverty level?

I never raised that question, feeble minded old man. What are you trying to justify? The selling of babies by the nuns?

52Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 4/22/2014, 1:50 am

Markle

Markle

Dreamsglore wrote:
Markle wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Markle wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Bob wrote:The catholic church and nuns stole babies from young mothers and sold them.
It wasn't LBJ or Obama or the democrat party or progressives that did it markel.  Do you have to beat on that drum in every thread.

LOL,Bob! That made me laugh. Thanks!

Here, let me post it again for your convenience.

The poverty level child doesn't have a laptop.

Here we see Sal and Dreamglore vividly demonstrating that they have no clue why so many more children are living below the poverty level than decades ago.

Come on Progressives, keep POSTING YOUR IGNORANCE!  It is so much fun!

I'll help...again!

I never raised that question, feeble minded old man. What are you trying to justify? The selling of babies by the nuns?

Those nuns were located in Ireland. I take it you can't find any children living today who are living in poverty or being given up for adoption? My guess is you read that and thought it was in America.

53Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 4/22/2014, 2:02 am

What is your ridiculous point, Markle. I know that the nuns were in Ireland. I fail to see what you're getting at? Because the mother was poor she shouldn't have her children?

54Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 4/22/2014, 2:25 am

Markle

Markle

Dreamsglore wrote:What is your ridiculous point, Markle. I know that the nuns were in Ireland. I fail to see what you're getting at? Because the mother was poor she shouldn't have her children?

My guess is that you had no clue it was from a foreign country, over half a century ago having nothing, whatsoever to do with any of the problems in the United States.  Or was that your point, to distract attention from the real world today.

Here is your initial post. Please show us where you say it took place in Ireland over half a century ago.

Philomena on 4/18/2014, 1:28 am

Dreamsglore

Just watched this movie. Great true story about unwed mothers and the wretched Catholic Church and what they did to them in 50's and 60's. They literally sold their babies to Americans and they were punished horribly. Long live the horrible Catholic Church!

You were so consumed by your crippling hate that you couldn't be bothered with such details!

Shame on you.

55Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 4/22/2014, 8:33 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:

My guess is that you had no clue it was from a foreign country, over half a century ago having nothing, whatsoever to do with any of the problems in the United States.  Or was that your point, to distract attention from the real world today.

I apologize for bringing up anything on this forum that isn't related to bashing obama and the democrats, markle. I don't know what I could have been thinking.
From now on regardless of what topic it is I'm talking about, I promise I won't fail to mention that obama is a muslim commie.

56Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 4/22/2014, 8:48 am

Bob.. At last we agree. Car won't start? Fuckn Obama caused it. Headache? Damn Progressives. Constipated? Damn Moolisms jacking with the food supply.... Blue Wahoos losing a Game? Damn Obama for allowing cheap Chinese base balls to be used in the game. Life should be much simpler now....

57Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 4/22/2014, 10:11 am

Markle wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:What is your ridiculous point, Markle. I know that the nuns were in Ireland. I fail to see what you're getting at? Because the mother was poor she shouldn't have her children?

Here is your initial post.  Please show us where you say it took place in Ireland over half a century ago.

Philomena on 4/18/2014, 1:28 am

Dreamsglore

Just watched this movie. Great true story about unwed mothers and the wretched Catholic Church and what they did to them in 50's and 60's. They literally sold their babies to Americans and they were punished horribly. Long live the horrible Catholic Church!

You were so consumed by your crippling hate that you couldn't be bothered with such details!

Shame on you.

Jesus you need help! The whole story was about the mother getting a BBC reporter in Ireland to help her find her son who was adopted by rich Americans. He agreed to do it if he could do the story.Bob even talked about the son returning to Ireland several times to look for his mother. You'd have to be brain dead to not know it happened in Ireland and they traveled to America to find him. Oh and they had actual scenes of riding on the plane from Ireland.LOL! Now that the whole movie is ruined for people who didn't see it I'll just say what an idiot you are trying to justify the selling of babies no matter where it took place. They shame is on you, Markle for trying to twist a true story into something it was not.Unbelievable!

58Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 4/22/2014, 11:08 am

A better movie, in my opinion, is Magdalene Sisters. True story from Ireland where the Catholic church/families placed unwed mothers in basically an asylum where they worked in a laundry after their babies were given up. Horrendous treatment...sexual abuse from nuns and priest. Hard to watch. These young women shunned by family and the church...basically treated as slaves.

59Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 4/22/2014, 12:15 pm

This is what happened In Philomena. They worked in laundries and abandoned by their families for 3 years all while raising their children until then.

60Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 4/22/2014, 12:50 pm

I'll have to catch this one.

You know, this whole deal of sending the pregnant one away happened in the South as well. "Homes" were available and babies were given up for adoption, records sealed. Sad so many do not have the ability to find their child. Many did not wish to give them away. Parents made the decision.

61Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 4/23/2014, 7:59 pm

Markle

Markle

SheWrites wrote:I'll have to catch this one.

You know, this whole deal of sending the pregnant one away happened in the South as well.  "Homes" were available and babies were given up for adoption, records sealed.  Sad so many do not have the ability to find their child. Many did not wish to give them away. Parents made the decision.

Are you saying that it did not happen in the North?

62Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 4/23/2014, 8:12 pm

Markle

Markle

For those willing to look at the REALITY of the problem.

BY WALTER E. WILLIAMS
RELEASE: WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2005, AND THEREAFTER

AMMUNITION FOR POVERTY PIMPS

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina's destruction of New Orleans, President Bush gave America's poverty pimps and race hustlers new ammunition. The president said, "As all of us saw on television, there is also some deep, persistent poverty in this region as well. And that poverty has roots in a history of racial discrimination, which cut off generations from the opportunity of America. We have a duty to confront this poverty with bold action."

The president's espousing such a vision not only supplies ammunition to poverty pimps and race hustlers, it focuses attention away from the true connection between race and poverty.

Though I grow weary of pointing it out, let's do it again. Let's examine some numbers readily available from the Census Bureau's 2004 Current Population Survey and ask some questions. There's one segment of the black population that suffers only a 9.9 percent poverty rate, and only 13.7 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. There's another segment that suffers a 39.5 percent poverty rate, and 58.1 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. Among whites, one segment suffers a 6 percent poverty rate, and only 9.9 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. The other segment suffers a 26.4 percent poverty rate, and 52 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. What do you think distinguishes the high and low poverty populations among blacks?

Would you buy an explanation that it's because white people practice discrimination against one segment of the black population and not the other or one segment had a history of slavery and not the other? You'd have to be a lunatic to buy such an explanation. The only distinction between both the black and white populations is marriage -- lower poverty in married-couple families.

In 1960, only 28 percent of black females ages 15 to 44 were never married and illegitimacy among blacks was 22 percent. Today, the never-married rate is 56 percent and illegitimacy stands at 70 percent. If today's black family structure were what it was in 1960, the overall black poverty rate would be in or near single digits. The weakening of the black family structure, and its devastating consequences, have nothing to do with the history of slavery or racial discrimination.

Dr. Charles Murray, an American Enterprise Institute scholar, argues in an article titled "Rediscovering the Underclass" in the Institute's On the Issues series (October 2005) that self-destructive behavior has become the hallmark of the underclass. He says that unemployment in the underclass is not caused by the lack of jobs but by the inability to get up every morning and go to work. In 1954, the percentage of black males, age 20 to 24, not looking for work was nine percent. In 1999, it rose to 30 percent, and that was at a time when employers were beating the bushes for employees. Murray adds that "the statistical reality is that people who get into the American job market and stay there seldom remain poor unless they do something self-destructive.

I share Murray's sentiment expressed at the beginning of his article where he says, "Watching the courage of ordinary low-income people as they deal with the aftermath of Katrina and Rita, it is hard to decide which politicians are more contemptible -- Democrats who are rediscovering poverty and blaming it on George W. Bush, or Republicans who are rediscovering poverty and claiming that the government can fix it." Since President Johnson's War on Poverty, controlling for inflation, the nation has spent $9 trillion on about 80 anti-poverty programs. To put that figure in perspective, last year's U.S. GDP was $11 trillion; $9 trillion exceeds the GDP of any nation except the U.S. Hurricanes Katrina and Rita uncovered the result of the War on Poverty -- dependency and self-destructive behavior.

Guess what the president [President George Walker Bush] and politicians from both parties are asking the American people to do? If you said, "Enact programs that will sustain and enhance dependency," go to the head of the class.

http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/articles/05/poverty.html

63Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 4/23/2014, 8:37 pm

Markle wrote:
SheWrites wrote:I'll have to catch this one.

You know, this whole deal of sending the pregnant one away happened in the South as well.  "Homes" were available and babies were given up for adoption, records sealed.  Sad so many do not have the ability to find their child. Many did not wish to give them away. Parents made the decision.

Are you saying that it did not happen in the North?

We were speaking of Ireland and I brought the topic home to the area where I grew up, the South.  I'm sure it happened in many places, only speaking of what I know - the account of Ireland in the movie and in the South.  I know personally two women, one who lived in a home and had to give up her child; the other who was born to a home resident.  Both cases in Southern cities. Both were families who could not have "that embarrassment" in their family. Neither had to do with color of skin or income level.

Not sure about your Walter Williams piece fitting in this conversation, Markle.

64Philomena - Page 3 Empty Re: Philomena 1/20/2017, 4:50 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Guest wrote:A better movie, in my opinion, is Magdalene Sisters.  True story from Ireland where the Catholic church/families placed unwed mothers in basically an asylum where they worked in a laundry after their babies were given up.  Horrendous treatment...sexual abuse from nuns and priest.  Hard to watch. These young women shunned by family and the church...basically treated as slaves.  

Yes The Magdalene Sisters a great movie but hard to watch. I wish Bob was around so I could discuss it with him. The only thing I can compare it to would be Nazi or Japanese prisoner of war movies or perhaps corrupt prison films like The Shawshank Redemption. Geraldine McEwan as the evil Sister Bridget gives a performance worthy of a James Bond film. The scene where the sadistic nuns line up the naked young girls to mock and berate their breasts is heartbreaking and unforgettable. I'm surprised the film hasn't achieved world wide cult status. 

Telstar

Telstar

A mass grave containing the remains of babies and young children has been discovered at a former Catholic mother and baby home in Ireland, government-appointed investigators announced Friday in a finding that offered the first conclusive proof following a historian's efforts to trace the fates of nearly 800 children who perished there.

The judge-led Mother and Baby Homes Commission said excavations since November at the site of the former Bon Secours Mother and Baby Home in Tuam, County Galway, had found an underground structure divided into 20 chambers containing "significant quantities of human remains."

The commission said DNA analysis of selected remains confirmed the ages of the dead ranged from 35 weeks to three years old.

They were buried chiefly in the 1950s, when the overcrowded facility was one of more than a dozen in Ireland offering shelter to orphans, unwed mothers and their children. The Tuam home closed in 1961.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/mass-grave-ireland-orphanage-commission-1.4008349

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum