Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What would Jesus do in Perdido Key?

+2
Slicef18
gulfbeachbandit
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Have a bloody mary?

Bibles and booze mix Sunday mornings at iconic bar
August 15, 2012 09:13 GMT

%reldate(2012-08-15T08:55:15

(Eds: APNewsNow. Will be updated. AP Video.) By MELISSA NELSON-GABRIEL Associated Press
PERDIDO KEY, Fla. (AP) -- Bloody Marys and bathing suits mingle at a unique Sunday service on the Alabama and Florida state line.

Worship at the Water is held at the Flora-Bama Lounge, Package and Oyster Bar, a rowdy roadhouse that straddles the border on the beach. Bible study is held in the upstairs bar.

It's a year-old outreach service of nearby Perdido Bay United Methodist Church.

A founding pastor, Jack de Jarnette, says it's the sort of place where Jesus went to hang out with the people. He says when you can't get people to church, bring church to them.

Church member Paul Holland says he loves the service because he isn't worried about being judged by whether he wears a nice suit or drives a nice car.

Last weekend we drove by the church you mentioned and my son took a picture of their sign that advertised church services at the Flora-Bama. If I had that pic, I would post it here - now.

I wonder how many attendees hang around for "happy hour" afterwards?

(BTW, I like Jack DeJarnette. Many moons ago, he was the only preacher to visit me at Baptist Hospital when I was there for pneumonia. I hope he is doing better physically... he had a heart transplant.)

Slicef18

Slicef18

Well, based on what we know about the life of Jesus he'd tell people to feed those that are hungry, and take care of the sick. And in the morning he'd make some wine. (It was after all his first miracle)

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Slicef18 wrote:Well, based on what we know about the life of Jesus he'd tell people to feed those that are hungry, and take care of the sick. And in the morning he'd make some wine. (It was after all his first miracle)

An Irish priest is driving down to New York and gets stopped for speeding
in Connecticut.

The state trooper smells alcohol on the priest's breath and then sees an
empty wine bottle on the floor of the car.

He says, 'Sir, have you been drinking?'

'Just water,' says the priest.

The trooper says, 'Then why do I smell wine?'

The priest looks at the bottle and says, 'Good Lord! He's done it again!'

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I cannot for the life of me understand why Baptists or others would believe Jesus would be against alcoholic beverages when Jesus himself turned water into an alcoholic beverage. That's about like believing Colonel Sanders is against chicken.

But it is a fact that Baptists believe Jesus is opposed to alcoholic beverages.
Can anyone explain this to me?

Granny4Peace

Granny4Peace

Buttman wrote:I cannot for the life of me understand why Baptists or others would believe Jesus would be against alcoholic beverages when Jesus himself turned water into an alcoholic beverage. That's about like believing Colonel Sanders is against chicken.

I was told by a preacher once that there is one reference in the Bible that mentions alcoholic beverages. It's something like, "deacons should not be given to drinking much wine." Obviously I'm not a great Biblical scholar. Maybe TB can help out. I grew up Baptist, but didn't stay with the church.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

ButtFaggot wrote:I cannot for the life of me understand why Baptists or others would believe Jesus would be against alcoholic beverages when Jesus himself turned water into an alcoholic beverage. That's about like believing Colonel Sanders is against chicken.

You are in essence correct. I have argued with Baptists till I was blue in the face. They actually say that the wine Jesus made was grape juice. I try to tell them that fermentation occurs when you don't have refigeration . The parable of the new wine in old wine skins was very telling. New wine would ferment and bust the old skin and be wasted. It's just a stupid and vain effort to push error on people. Jesus drank wine ..
His enemies accused him in Matt 11.19
The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look, a glutton
and a drunk, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' Absolved from
every act of sin, is wisdom by her kith and kin."

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Granny4Peace wrote:
Buttman wrote:I cannot for the life of me understand why Baptists or others would believe Jesus would be against alcoholic beverages when Jesus himself turned water into an alcoholic beverage. That's about like believing Colonel Sanders is against chicken.

I was told by a preacher once that there is one reference in the Bible that mentions alcoholic beverages. It's something like, "deacons should not be given to drinking much wine." Obviously I'm not a great Biblical scholar. Maybe TB can help out. I grew up Baptist, but didn't stay with the church.

That is the qualifications for church officers....

Leaders in the Church 1 Tim 3

1This is a trustworthy saying: “If someone aspires to be an elder,a he desires an honorable position.”
2So an elder must be a man whose life is above reproach. He must be faithful to his wife.b
He must exercise self-control, live wisely, and have a good reputation.
He must enjoy having guests in his home, and he must be able to teach.
3He must not be a heavy drinkerc or be violent. He must be gentle, not quarrelsome, and not love money.
4He must manage his own family well, having children who respect and obey him.
5For if a man cannot manage his own household, how can he take care of God’s church?

At the parish picnic in Hoover, they had two kegs on tap.

What would Jesus do in Perdido Key? Dsc00110

Does lite beer count?

Lurch wrote:Does lite beer count?

Only if you're drinkin' it.

I'm not positive about this but I think Billy Graham said Jesus didn't just make plain wine he liked a glass of Sheraz, or Cabernet Sauvignon, maybe Merlot, or Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, or Syrah, . All are good with unleavened bread,

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Dawgback wrote:I'm not positive about this but I think Billy Graham said Jesus didn't just make plain wine he liked a glass of Sheraz, or Cabernet Sauvignon, maybe Merlot, or Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, or Syrah, . All are good with unleavened bread,
This is the best wine I've had in the last ten years. A friend brought it down from Nashville. Said he paid 19 bucks for it.

What would Jesus do in Perdido Key? Wine10

ButtFaggot wrote:
Dawgback wrote:I'm not positive about this but I think Billy Graham said Jesus didn't just make plain wine he liked a glass of Sheraz, or Cabernet Sauvignon, maybe Merlot, or Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, or Syrah, . All are good with unleavened bread,
This is the best wine I've had in the last ten years. A friend brought it down from Nashville. Said he paid 19 bucks for it.

What would Jesus do in Perdido Key? Wine10

That's too damn much for a bottle of wine. I might give 19 bucks for a gallon if its as good as Thunderbird or Sneaky Pete.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Dawgback wrote:

That's too damn much for a bottle of wine. I might give 19 bucks for a gallon if its as good as Thunderbird or Sneaky Pete.
I'm gonna choke on my own words when I say this (cause it's agin my religion).
But drinking this wine made me realize that sometimes you actually do get what you pay for. It was that good. Smile

If I can find it in a local wine shop I'll get us a bottle for the next time we barbecue.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Yomama wrote:Last weekend we drove by the church you mentioned and my son took a picture of their sign that advertised church services at the Flora-Bama. If I had that pic, I would post it here - now.

I wonder how many attendees hang around for "happy hour" afterwards?

(BTW, I like Jack DeJarnette. Many moons ago, he was the only preacher to visit me at Baptist Hospital when I was there for pneumonia. I hope he is doing better physically... he had a heart transplant.)

Jack is a wonderful man. I worked with his wife for years and she was loved by everyone in the OR....an amazing and very well suited couple.

[img]What would Jesus do in Perdido Key? Tumblr10[/img]

What would Jesus do in Perdido Key? S320x240 The good stuff

hallmarkgrad wrote:What would Jesus do in Perdido Key? S320x240 The good stuff

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I bet it's finger licking good.................. Wink

Wild Irish Rose
18% alc. by vol.

The thorn in your hangover is a wild rose from Ireland. Bottled by Canandaigua Wine in Chanadaigua, NY, the same company as Cisco. Like its brother Cisco, "Wild I" definitely has some secret additives that go straight to the cranium. Another web page claims that this foul beverage is a conspiracy by the republicans to kill the homeless. Bums ask a liquor store clerk for Wild Irish rose by saying, "gimme a pint of rosie with a skirt," a skirt being a paper bag. Some don't want it cold either. It's called "wild" for a good reason, and bystanders should beware. Wild Irish Rose is sure to light a fire of drunken rage in your soul. A guy named "Richards" is mentioned on the label.

A helpful viewer named Carl wrote an email directing our attention this web page that claims that "Richard's Wild Irish Rose (named after his son, Canandaigua's current president Richard Sands)." The "White Label" variety of this beverage is definitely a hard wine to come to terms with. "White Label" smells like rubbing alcohol, and has no added flavoring to mask its pungent taste and noxious odors. Avaliable in 375 mL, 750 mL, and a 50 oz jug.

Field reporter "Greyham" brings us this report: Here is Wild I's devastating new addition, "Wild Fruit with Ginseng". I'll be honest with you: the normal Wild I has turned into some sort of fierce energy drink gone wrong mixed with the original to create a bumworthy migraine-inducing concoction. I purchased a 750 mL which goes for 3.99 and a 375 mL which goes for 2.59 (at least here in FL). Word on the streets here is that the bums are wary of it. I talked to a couple that said they'd prefer to "stick with what's tried and true". Apparently they haven't accepted it yet as the real deal. As for me, I drank the 375mL on a semi-full stomach and was just ruined by the stuff. The flavor retains it's same potent Wild I nastiness but has a whole new bouquet of fruity flavor added as well (potentially aimed at bums of the female persuasion). Upon completion of the 375, I was thoroughly inebriated and found myself honestly wondering where my next fix of the stuff was going to come from. This scared me so I immediately started drinking water....here's the best part. After that relatively small bottle, I didn't piss until the next evening despite drinking copious amounts of water. There is DEFINITELY something in this stuff that dehydrates you...possibly the "ginseng" or whatever it is that they added to this already foul stuff.

What would Jesus do in Perdido Key? 20120817_170903 50%/100 Proof 9yrs old.. This Is the Good Stuff..

Yea But 2 million cases? DAMN!!!

n 1954, Richards Wild Irish Rose was introduced and with strong advertising behind it, the brand quickly became a multi-million case selling product. Today with more than two million cases sold annually, it is still the largest-selling Beverage Dessert brand! Richards Wild Irish Rose is a strong but sweet wine
http://www.argonautliquor.com/r/products/richards-wild-irish-rose-red-wine?id=pShCggvB

Lurch wrote:What would Jesus do in Perdido Key? 20120817_170903 50%/100 Proof 9yrs old.. This Is the Good Stuff..

mmmmmmmmmmmmm will it make a lurch dance?

[img]What would Jesus do in Perdido Key? Forlur10[/img]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum