Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

88,000 Floridians' Lose Federal Unemployment Benefits Today

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

While I sympathize with the out-of-work, I think that it's time for the benefits to end. After all, these were supposed to be an "emergency" measure. But the measure was enacted in 2008. SInce then the economy has improved (that's what Obama's minions say) and Florida's unemployment rate is down - and lower than the national average to boot.

The motivated worker can take a job that pays less than their previous job, but continue to search for a better one. I have been unemployed for extended periods, and believe me, having a job - any job, provided me with a certain self esteem. While working, I continued to look for a better job and did find one.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

colaguy wrote:While I sympathize with the out-of-work, I think that it's time for the benefits to end. After all, these were supposed to be an "emergency" measure.  But the measure was enacted in 2008.  SInce then the economy has improved (that's what Obama's minions say) and Florida's unemployment rate is down - and lower than the national average to boot.

The motivated worker can take a job that pays less than their previous job, but continue to search for a better one.  I have been unemployed for extended periods, and believe me, having a job - any job, provided me with a certain self esteem.  While working, I continued to look for a better job and did find one.  

No disrespect Cola, but that is easier said than done. When the sequestration went into effect, the Navy Hospital's ER cut quite a few positions. My wife's best friend was one of those whose position was abolished. Since then she has turned over quite a few leaves looking for a job. She is a licensed Emergency Medical Technician and is willing to accept a job doing whatever they ask. All she hears is "You are over-qualified". She told me an my wife yesterday that if she hears that phrase one more time, she is liable to punch the interviewer in the face.

Oh BTW, she is trying to better herself. She is currently enrolled at PSC in the nursing program and actually just needs a part time job to carry he over until she graduates.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Republicans during a down labor market: "Well, at least get a job flipping burgers or something."

Republicans on the minimum wage and a living wage: "Well, these jobs obviously aren't meant for adults. Only teenagers should be working these sorts of jobs, and they typically do not need a wage high enough to support themselves."

Ghost Rider wrote:
colaguy wrote:While I sympathize with the out-of-work, I think that it's time for the benefits to end. After all, these were supposed to be an "emergency" measure.  But the measure was enacted in 2008.  SInce then the economy has improved (that's what Obama's minions say) and Florida's unemployment rate is down - and lower than the national average to boot.

The motivated worker can take a job that pays less than their previous job, but continue to search for a better one.  I have been unemployed for extended periods, and believe me, having a job - any job, provided me with a certain self esteem.  While working, I continued to look for a better job and did find one.  

No disrespect Cola, but that is easier said than done. When the sequestration went into effect, the Navy Hospital's ER cut quite a few positions. My wife's best friend was one of those whose position was abolished. Since then she has turned over quite a few leaves looking for a job. She is a licensed Emergency Medical Technician and is willing to accept a job doing whatever they ask. All she hears is "You are over-qualified". She told me an my wife yesterday that if she hears that phrase one more time, she is liable to punch the interviewer in the face.

Oh BTW, she is trying to better herself. She is currently enrolled at PSC in the nursing program and actually just needs a part time job to carry he over until she graduates.

Sequestration was a few months back, COla is talking about people being on the dole for 5+ years now.

boards of FL wrote:Republicans during a down labor market:  "Well, at least get a job flipping burgers or something."

Republicans on the minimum wage and a living wage:  "Well, these jobs obviously aren't meant for adults.  Only teenagers should be working these sorts of jobs, and they typically do not need a wage high enough to support themselves."

That's exactly what they are.....entry level jobs, not career jobs.

The Dude

The Dude

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:

Sequestration was a few months back, COla is talking about people being on the dole for 5+ years now.

I did not know you could get EUC benefits for over 5 years, are you sure about that?

The Dude

The Dude

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
boards of FL wrote:Republicans during a down labor market:  "Well, at least get a job flipping burgers or something."

Republicans on the minimum wage and a living wage:  "Well, these jobs obviously aren't meant for adults.  Only teenagers should be working these sorts of jobs, and they typically do not need a wage high enough to support themselves."

That's exactly what they are.....entry level jobs, not career jobs.

http://billmoyers.com/2013/11/18/wal-mart-asks-its-low-wage-workers-to-donate-food-to-its-low-wage-workers/

Ghost Rider wrote:

She needs to thank obamacare for all this. had to find the money somewhere right? I wish her the best and hopes she gets a good job soon btw

http://thehealthcareblog.com/blog/2013/04/12/so-who-gets-hurt-by-the-sequester/

http://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2012/09/17/how-much-medicare-money-will-hospitals-lose-to-sequestration

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_Control_Act_of_2011

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum