Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why U.S. Health Care Is Obscenely Expensive, in 12 Charts

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/03/health-care-costs-_n_3998425.html

This one is particularly telling:

Why U.S. Health Care Is Obscenely Expensive, in 12 Charts 2013_09_HealthCareCosts3

Floridatexan wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/03/health-care-costs-_n_3998425.html

This one is particularly telling:

Why U.S. Health Care Is Obscenely Expensive, in 12 Charts 2013_09_HealthCareCosts3

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! 

You people are cracking me up today!

what happened in the 60's to healthcare?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well aside from government poking their uneducated noses into healthcare I was in on the technological burst of information diagnostics available. We went from rather simple xrays to gamma-cameras, Cat scan, Mri and various improvements from those things. The costs of a tube for modern Cts are 200K and the cost of a modern detector is a cool million.....so yeah lots happened. Not to mention people don't eat right, breathe shit for air and spend their lives sedentary sitting at a computer or watching TV...and get and stay sick....lots happened...eat some GMO and move along now.

knothead

knothead

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Well aside from government poking their uneducated noses into healthcare I was in on the technological burst of information diagnostics available. We went from rather simple xrays to gamma-cameras, Cat scan, Mri and various improvements from those things. The costs of a tube for modern Cts are 200K and the cost of a modern detector is a cool million.....so yeah lots happened. Not to mention people don't eat right, breathe shit for air and spend their lives sedentary sitting at a computer or watching TV...and get and stay sick....lots happened...eat some GMO and move along now.

I do six miles every morning Teo . . . . fighting that sedentary lifestyle! Good comment tho . . .

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Well aside from government poking their uneducated noses into healthcare I was in on the technological burst of information diagnostics available. We went from rather simple xrays to gamma-cameras, Cat scan, Mri and various improvements from those things. The costs of a tube for modern Cts are 200K and the cost of a modern detector is a cool million.....so yeah lots happened. Not to mention people don't eat right, breathe shit for air and spend their lives sedentary sitting at a computer or watching TV...and get and stay sick....lots happened...eat some GMO and move along now.
yeah, very good answer. ALL of it
Im going for a cold swim now lol

Chrissy wrote:
Well geez Ms. scientist who is going to India to cure cancer you should have known that answer. LOL!

Dreamsglore wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
Well geez Ms. scientist who is going to India to cure cancer you should have known that answer. LOL!
LOL, my little online affair with the indian doctor really got on your nerve didn't it LOL

oh and dreams. just let me give you a hint about me. I talk in "Positives" not negatives like you when referring to something im hoping for or dreaming or working on.

I knew the answer btw. That's why I had the 1ST comment on this thread.

Why would it get on my nerves? I find your ludicrous statements to be funny at times. Just think a lab tech from So. Fl. is going to India to work on a cure for cancer? I mean Nobel prize winners in science haven't had that opportunity but Chrissy may be going there to do it. LOL!

Dreamsglore wrote:Why would it get on my nerves? I find your ludicrous statements to be funny at times. Just think a lab tech from So. Fl. is going to India to work on a cure for cancer?  I mean Nobel prize winners in science haven't had that opportunity but Chrissy may be going there to do it. LOL!
ist living in your head dreams, you've brought it up several times, that's how I know. Laughing 

bt, dreams, all those nobel prize winners, they dont actually perform all the test themselves lol... they have someone else do it. No man/woman works alone.

just like your doctor doesn't work alone. They need people specialized in all sorts of things. if you put a doctor somewhere and expected him/her to perform every test needed in most cases, youre going to have a problem. but you wouldn't know that. you just like to belittle people about stuff you know nothing about.

you don't phase me though anymore. I am amused. Smile because its not everyday you see a so called help the people person work so hard to tear down another persons self esteem.... but Im special... its not going to work...

ha ha

Im me and your not. Razz

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Another reason our health care costs are out of whack expensive is because the folks who supply the services and materials are sheltered from competition and transparency. If it were easier to shop around for the best price on a procedure we might see some reduction in costs. Also, according to recent articles, the cost of almost anything associated with a procedure is greatly inflated for the sake of unreasonable profits.

For example a hip joint that costs $350 to make costs over 100K to replace in this country compared with less than $14,000 in Belgium.

The American health care market is plagued by such “sticky pricing,” in which prices of products remain high or even increase over time instead of dropping. The list price of a total hip implant increased nearly 300 percent from 1998 to 2011, according to Orthopedic Network News, a newsletter about the industry. That is a result, economists say, of how American medicine generally sets charges: without government regulation or genuine marketplace competition.

“Manufacturers will tell you it’s R&D and liability that makes implants so expensive and that they have the only one like it,” said Dr. Rory Wright, an orthopedist at the Orthopedic Hospital of Wisconsin, a top specialty clinic. “They price this way because they can.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/health/for-medical-tourists-simple-math.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It's not clear if $350 is just the manufacturing cost, or if that's the all-in burdened cost of producing a hip, but it almost doesn't matter. Even if it's the former, it means the full cost is unlikely to be more than $1,000 or so. Nonetheless, in the case of one particular implant, Rosenthal reports that U.S. hospitals pay an average of $8,000 and that even Belgian hospitals, which benefit from government-controlled pricing, pay $4,000. So everyone is paying a pretty hefty markup. Americans are just paying a super-hefty one, made worse by the fact that hospitals then add their own markup, bringing the price of the implant up to $30,000 or more.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/08/artificial-hip-cost-markup-healthcare

We hear people say one thing they don't like about the individual mandate to purchase health insurance is that they don't want to pay for someone else's health care. Well, it seems pretty clear that we are all paying already for everyones healthcare. The individual mandate just brings it out in the open.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Chrissy,

Teo thinks the health care system (doctors, hospitals and other health care providers) are making us sicker, not more healthy. He especially says this about doctors.

You, on the other hand, are a champion of doctors and the health care system.

Just saying.

othershoe1030 wrote:Another reason our health care costs are out of whack expensive is because the folks who supply the services and materials are sheltered from competition and transparency. If it were easier to shop around for the best price on a procedure we might see some reduction in costs. Also, according to recent articles, the cost of almost anything associated with a procedure is greatly inflated for the sake of unreasonable profits.

For example a hip joint that costs $350 to make costs over 100K to replace in this country compared with less than $14,000 in Belgium.

The American health care market is plagued by such “sticky pricing,” in which prices of products remain high or even increase over time instead of dropping. The list price of a total hip implant increased nearly 300 percent from 1998 to 2011, according to Orthopedic Network News, a newsletter about the industry. That is a result, economists say, of how American medicine generally sets charges: without government regulation or genuine marketplace competition.

“Manufacturers will tell you it’s R&D and liability that makes implants so expensive and that they have the only one like it,” said Dr. Rory Wright, an orthopedist at the Orthopedic Hospital of Wisconsin, a top specialty clinic. “They price this way because they can.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/health/for-medical-tourists-simple-math.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It's not clear if $350 is just the manufacturing cost, or if that's the all-in burdened cost of producing a hip, but it almost doesn't matter. Even if it's the former, it means the full cost is unlikely to be more than $1,000 or so. Nonetheless, in the case of one particular implant, Rosenthal reports that U.S. hospitals pay an average of $8,000 and that even Belgian hospitals, which benefit from government-controlled pricing, pay $4,000. So everyone is paying a pretty hefty markup. Americans are just paying a super-hefty one, made worse by the fact that hospitals then add their own markup, bringing the price of the implant up to $30,000 or more.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/08/artificial-hip-cost-markup-healthcare

We hear people say one thing they don't like about the individual mandate to purchase health insurance is that they don't want to pay for someone else's health care. Well, it seems pretty clear that we are all paying already for everyones healthcare. The individual mandate just brings it out in the open.
It's funny that there is actually some clear thinking about how the healthcare system got to this point... even if it's rather cursory... they did throw the word competition in there. I've listed before the hundreds of incremental steps the feds used over decades to morph the industry into a rigged market under now near total federal control... go figure. Nothing has happened by accident... fascism in application.

Bob wrote:Chrissy,

Teo thinks the health care system (doctors,  hospitals and other health care providers) are making us sicker,  not more healthy.  He especially says this about doctors.

You,  on the other hand,  are a champion of doctors and the health care system.

Just saying.

I know,he and I disagree a little on that.

I think people abuse the system, just like with any system we have to help people, give people a inch they take 10 miles.

some people are chronic complainers, they go in and get pain pills. I think pain pills are a huge problem in our society, its a catch 22. then there are those who do have real problems and it becomes hard to decifer out whos who.

I say on the good side medication is allowing more people to live happier more productive lives than they did before. that's a perk

I do agree with him on certain wasteful vaccines, again this is an area that is being abused by pharm co's and now our gov is pushing it more and more.

but none of hat I just said has anything to do with why its gone higher. hell everything has gone higher. its gone higher because the gov got involved in it. simple as that. expect it to go higher too.

Chrissy wrote:
Bob wrote:Chrissy,

Teo thinks the health care system (doctors,  hospitals and other health care providers) are making us sicker,  not more healthy.  He especially says this about doctors.

You,  on the other hand,  are a champion of doctors and the health care system.

Just saying.

I know,he and I disagree a little on that.

I think people abuse the system, just like with any system we have to help people, give people a inch they take 10 miles.

some people are chronic complainers, they go in and get pain pills. I think pain pills are a huge problem in our society, its a catch 22. then there are those who do have real problems and it becomes hard to decifer out whos who.

I say on the good side medication is allowing more people to live happier more productive lives than they did before. that's a perk

I do agree with him on certain wasteful vaccines, again this is an area that is being abused by pharm co's and now our gov is pushing it more and more.

but none of hat I just said has anything to do with why its gone higher. hell everything has gone higher. its gone higher because the gov got involved in it. simple as that. expect it to go higher too.
Why U.S. Health Care Is Obscenely Expensive, in 12 Charts Th?id=H.4775394911323058&w=215&h=188&c=7&rs=1&pid=1

I could live a happier more productive life also if you would give me a prescription for whatever it is that does that...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uEMOeDZsA

Very Happy 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum